• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

SOUP RECIPES NEEDED for POST-OP..any ideas ? Im no cook!!

emma-louise

my new life!!
Morning all..

Im due to have my surgery in 3 weeks,and a lovely lady on here advised to cook soup before my surgery and freeze it ready for post-op..TROUBLE IS..im no cook,so anybody with ideas at all can you send them..Im going to print them off and have them ready in my kitchen...Id be very grateful xxx

If you google "soup recipes" you'll get lots of sites with them on. I have a few I am going to freeze - bell peppers and tomatoes; butternut squash and stilton (for the protein); leek and potato; broccoli and stilton. If you want these recipes just let me know.

Try to add cheese to your soups if you can for the added protein. And you will need a blender.

Hi Emma-louise, made an easy veg type the other day which is very tasty (eating a some now!!)
Used a knife to roughly dice some carrots, red cabbage, green cabbage and onion. Added some sliced peppers, celery, tin of toms and 1 green chilli (minus seeds).
Placed in large pan and added 3 cloves of garlic (skinned & crushed), 1 level tsp. ginger and half level tsp. black pepper.
Added 2 pints of water and vegetable stock cube.

Bring this all slowly to the boil, remove any 'scum' off the top. Reduce and simmer for approx. 1 hour.

Add salt if required. Vary vegetable portions as per required taste. Taste better after 'resting' for a while.
Very low in calories, slight salt content in the stock cube.
You can freeze portions of this if required, but it will keep well in the fridge for up to three days.
Give it a try, it is a cheap, tasty soup which can only provide extra vitamins without sacrificing calories.

Regards - Paul xx

Paul it sounds yummy but immediately post-op we're told by SRH to avoid anything spicey for 2 weeks, so no chilli or ginger I think. It has to stay bland.

It'll be fine after 2 weeks though. :)

My favourite soup post-op has been carrot and coriander.

I bought a bag of ready chopped carrots, shoved in a few coriander leaves, half a cup of orange juice, some low fat coconut milk, 1 veg stock cube, made up to 3/4 pint with boiling water. 1/2 pack of tofu (for extra protein)

Cook it all together until carrots are soft.

Then blend until smooth.
I used ice cube bags and a small funnel to fill them to freeze it in small portions.

If you are near an asda, they have bags in the veg isle, one is potato and leek, the other carrot and corriander, all you do is empty them in a pan with the required amount of stock and boil for 15 mins or so (read instructions as Im not certain on time) then blend them and you can freeze in small batches. and the bags are only a £1 each or something like that
Check Allrecipes.com for soup recipes, they have thousands!

Sorry Charis, forgot about the spicy 'post-op' reference. Would give it a go though once you are able.
Like the other posts mention, varieties of this soup are so easy and cheap to do. I can never understand why people pay for tins/packets of soup unless they are a specialty flavour.
Take care - Paul xx

Sorry Charis, forgot about the spicy 'post-op' reference. Would give it a go though once you are able.
Like the other posts mention, varieties of this soup are so easy and cheap to do. I can never understand why people pay for tins/packets of soup unless they are a specialty flavour.
Take care - Paul xx

LOL but then you are a chef!

But YES, soup has to be one of the most easy things to make!

I also had fresh tomato and orange soup the other night (in a restaurant) it had orange zest in, and was completely delish! Could you make a recipe for that Paul?

thanks for that,

I can cook a gorgeous ham broth with herby dumplings,but I suppose thats out of the window!!..lol
thanks for getting back to me x

hi karen,

can you send me the recipes you have,the butternut squash and stilton sounds yummy!
Id be very grateful..
thanks x

My friend who is a dietician adviced me to just boil up the carcas of a roast chicken with onions for an hour, strain and freeze. This makes a lovely broth which is ideal for the clear fluid stage. You could add veg etc and liquidise to add variation.

Rebirth

thanks rebirth,

I think I may have tryed boiling a chicken,and using for broth before,but I couldnt drain all fat away!!lol
Im also wondering about any other things I can eat post op,my op is in 3 weeks..
and Im sick with worry x

I find if you leave the broth to go cold the fat solidifies on top and can be picked off. However, the carcass of a roast chicken doesn't tend to have a lot of fat unless you boil the skin as well. The other way is to use kitchen paper to mop up the excess fat.

I'm having my op next Saturday so I'm finding a lot of your posts very useful.

LOL but then you are a chef!

But YES, soup has to be one of the most easy things to make!

I also had fresh tomato and orange soup the other night (in a restaurant) it had orange zest in, and was completely delish! Could you make a recipe for that Paul?
Hi Charis, plenty of recipes for this soup around. Checked one of my books and this one sounds ok (I tend to tweek the recipes to compliment WLS):

Ingredients:

1 Onion; finely chopped
1 Garlic clove; finely sliced
3 tsp Olive oil
400g Tomatoes; canned
1 Orange; rind grated
150ml Orange juice
600ml Vegetable stock
Seasoning

Method;

This soup should be a soft orangery-red colour, having a light,
refreshing flavour.

Soften the Onion & Garlic over a low heat, important that you do not let the garlic burn or change colour as this will taint the final taste!

Stir in the Tomatoes & Orange rind.

Heat until almost boiling then simmer for 3 minutes.

Put the soup into a blender with the Orange Juice and blitz. (If you do not have a blender, sieve & stir thoroughly)

Heat through thoroughly, then remove from the heat. Garnish with Orange Rind and a spoon of Creme Fraiche,

Serve immediately.

Regards - Paul xx

ps; Similar interesting recipes can be found on the 'Chef2Chef' web site, American based but easily adapted.

Last edited:
Thanks Paul

I'll be trying that one!

hi rebirth,

I will try that with the chicken again,so how are you as your op is very soon?
Im feeling a bit better than before,this morning I was ever so quiet with my family,im constantly thinking of the new life after surgery!
Im just nervous that I havent got everything organised for after my op!

speak soon xx

1 butternut squosh
1 onion
1 potato
1 stock cube
and ground coriandar
salt and pepper

boil in a pan till soft then blend

Bell Peppers and Tomato:
(This makes a fair bit of soup - you could divide everything by a third for less)

3 peppers chopped (I use yellow, orange and red)
3 small onions chopped large
3 Garlic cloves whole
3 tomatoes halved

Place all in a roasting tin and spray with frylight. Salt and pepper. Roast until all soft (about half hour). Remove the skin from the tomatoes and blend everything till smooth. Add milk if required (adds protein).

Broccoli & Stilton:

2 broccoli chopped up
1 medium potato cubed (not white they're too starchy)
1 small onion chopped
1 stick celery chopped
100g stilton cheese
2 cups of chicken or veg stock (stock cubes are fine)
1.5 cups of semi skimmed milk

Saute the onions and celery in a big pot with frylight. Add potato and broccoli, then stock and milk. Bring to the boil then cut up stilton and add it. Simmer for 20 minutes or until everything is soft. Blend everything and add extra milk if required.

Butternut Squash & Stilton:

1 butternut squash cubed (1 inch)
4 garlic cloves whole
1 tsp cumin (CHECK THIS MIGHT NOT BE ADVISABLE POST OP)
1 tsp corriander
1 pint vegetable stock
100g stilton cheese

Put the butternut squash and garlic in a roasting tin and spray with frylight. Roast until tender. Make up the stock and add the cut up stilton to it. Place everything in the blender and add the corriander and cumin (??). Blend till smooth and add salt, pepper and milk to taste.

Leek & Potato:

2 tsp olive oil
2 small onions chopped
3 medium leeks sliced
1 lb potatoes chopped (not white)
1 cup chicken or vegetable stock
2 cups of semi skimmed milk
Black pepper

Heat the oil in a pan and add onion, leeks and potato and cook on low heat for 5 mins. Add milk and stock and black pepper and simmer for 30 mins or until potatoes tender. Blend everything till smooth and add more milk if required.

ENJOY!! :D

I asked the lady from the hospital who phoned me with info about the surgery and she said yes. I'm a bit dubious about the leek and potato though.

I will ask again when I go for my pre-ops and see the dietician but that's not until the 7th Sept.

Back