• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

bit of guidance needed pls :)

funky24

hi all , well i am a week out today from my bypass and gallbladder removal. spent a bit longer in hospital due to a few problems, so actually only my 3rd full day at home today. I had it at st richards in chichester, and before i left they got us on mash potato consistency.
Since iv been home, what iv eaten has gone down ok no big problems
id like to post a couple of days menus what iv been eating and also get some advice at things i should be eating on this stage as im having mash alot and i wondered obviously its carbs, so does this matter to much this far out? in my booklet it says weeks 1-4 is pureed, now the idea of pureeing certain foods really doesnt appeal to me so iv been having stuff that dont need pureeing to much, i wondered where cauliflower falls? if i had that with a bit of sauce? or is that going to fall in the soft/crispy stage at 4 wks plus ? iv been adding marvel to some bits.
i need a few ideas etc and like i say just a bit of guidance. Iv got corned beef to try tonight, mashed up with gravy granules and maybe mash??

24th feb:
BREAKFAST: Ready brek (ss milk, sweetner n marvel) 2 teaspoon full
LUNCH : 4 teaspoons of w/w chicken soup
1 petit filous strawberry small
TEA : egg sized potato , sauce of baked beans , a little grated cheese

25th feb:
BREAKFAST : Ready brek (ss milk, sweetner n marvel) 3 ish teaspoon
LUNCH: 6 teaspoons of chicken cuppa soup
1 petit filous strawberry small
TEA: Egg sized potato, pureed casserole and grated cheese.
Ramekin of stewed apple and teaspoon of low fat custard.

26th feb:
BREAKFAST: Ready brek (ss milk, sweetner n marvel) 3 teaspoons
LUNCH: Few spoons of leek and potato soup
1 petit filous apricot small
TEA: Egg sized potato with some corned beef and gravy granules
(Maybe a snack of 1 rich tea light biscuit )

thanks for reading. i know all hospital stages are different etc xx

Hi sorry cant help you with menu am a little behind you on waiting list. Just wanted to say congrats on finally getting your op and I hope you have a speedy recovery and weight loss :)

Hi I had mine done Sun. Surprised you are eating a rich tea as these are dry? I wouldn't have thought this was allowed yet? I have been having petit filous then puréed home made soup / dinner. I was told to have 6 portions a day but finding this hard but going to try harder to have more. Are you up and about? I am still sleepy and on the sofa!

thanks twix :) hope urs is soon

borogirl congrats on your op, i got given a rich tea biscuit in hospital lol as a snack...the hospital were happy to give it to me long as ya chew well it goes to mush?! yeah im not reaching 6 meals most of the time. nothing has given me trouble so far, and im loving petit filous :) yeah im up and about at home, pottering about but also needing my lays on the sofa, do feel tired not sleeping that great but pretty perky :) mum is up helping a bit.xx

Yes thank goodness for mums. Mine has been coming and cleaning up and ironing and my dad has been taking the dog for a walk and my boys to school. Hubby works long shifts so can't help that much. I hope to get out for an hour with my friends this Friday, just to a coffee shop but I need to get out. I also have a wound check with the nurse Thursday.
Its strange not being hungry at all! How us your pain? Aside from twinges and pain if I bend, I feel ok. I haven't taken any paracetamol today but will tonight before I sleep x

yeah my mums been great bless her. that will be nice to go out friday, im gonna leave it till the weekend and then go down to the garden and have a wander around its quite a big garden and there is a little bench be nice to have some fresh air. I was saying how strange it is not felt hungry once ! im eating by the clock lol ! Yeah i said to mum last night its not really 'pain' its just the odd twinges and more of a sore ache but its completely bearable, i took 1 co codamol the saturday night i got bk cos i was bit sore from the long drive home, attempted to take 1 sunday night but it got stuck to my tongue n come bk up lol so i went with out and not had any thing today, il take 2 paracetamol before i go to sleep tonight though. really struggling with the fluids but just keep sipping :) xx

Hi ladies. Congrats on getting through your ops. I'm just a few weeks ahead of you both (was sleeved 24th Jan). I found puree very old, very quickly -lol. I tried to keep my protein levels up with milky drinks and custard etc made withsweetner instead of sugar etc. Its also hard to make sure you have enough savoury food I found but its soon over and soft scrambled egg is heven in comparison.
Funky - my fave savoury purees were jacket potatoe with low fat cheese, cauliflower with low fat cheese sauce, smoked salmon with v low fat soft cheese, roast dinners with a bit of stuffing, meat, veg with gravy and a slow cooked beef stew (goes a bit jelly in consistency but nice flavour). My top tip is to season and flavour everything as its much harder bland! Good luck.

Hi ladies. Congrats on getting through your ops. I'm just a few weeks ahead of you both (was sleeved 24th Jan). I found puree very old, very quickly -lol. I tried to keep my protein levels up with milky drinks and custard etc made withsweetner instead of sugar etc. Its also hard to make sure you have enough savoury food I found but its soon over and soft scrambled egg is heven in comparison.
Funky - my fave savoury purees were jacket potatoe with low fat cheese, cauliflower with low fat cheese sauce, smoked salmon with v low fat soft cheese, roast dinners with a bit of stuffing, meat, veg with gravy and a slow cooked beef stew (goes a bit jelly in consistency but nice flavour). My top tip is to season and flavour everything as its much harder bland! Good luck.

thanks for the tips hun, hope your getting on ok,
so would jacket potato philly light and cauliflower work well u think? and did u cook the cauliflower and then blend it up a bit?? i had a bit of pureed casserole but took pork out so it was just seasoning, sauce and blended veg, which was ok cos i couldnt really see it , think the thought of blended up carrot etc on plate puts me off a bit lol xxx

My pureed stage was horrible and boring. I wasn't allowed half the things mentioned pureed :(

Even the veg allowed was limited. No pea's,sweetcorn, asparagus,beans etc only cauli,broc and parsnips.

philly light and cauli,potato sounds fine. I ate a lot of cauli cheese but my dietian said there is not much protein in soft cheeses(the tiny amount we would have anyway) so she said try and blend chicken and drink a pint of milk a day.

I'm getting the hang of fluids, I have to have them really hot! I am getting over 2 litres a day in now. I have always drunk loads, so not being able to drink much was panicking me a bit as I was so thirsty. Im getting there on foods, but hate the puréed food. Thought I would be ok, but yuk! I have found however half a condensed soup (not thinned so it really thick) enriched with a light cheese triangle is really tasty and gives some decent nutrition.
Last 2 days managed to get my intake up to about 500-600 kcals, with about 45g protein (I'm working up) and I feel pretty good.
I had a half mile walk today, but got tired quickly. Bending and moving is much easier now, but bruising is a bit dramatic!

right im gonna do my best to have a glass of milk a day :) thanks hun on the puree did u put ur cauli in blender ? sorry i just need to get it clear, i dont wanna do anything wrong lol :/

fiona wow you are doing so good! what are you managing to eat to get all that protein in? im constantly eating mash lol i drunk a little bit more yesterday than the day before (not much but least its increasing eh) wow thats a big walk im gonna venture in the garden, yeah i got some lovely bruises lol still bit tender on my right side (but think thats cos its my gallbladder side) well done so far hun xx

Nope the cauli could just be cooked soft and mashed and chewed well. Its the skin of veg/fruit that is normally the problem. I had blended pea's before I knew I couldn't(oops) my dietitian doesn't know but now at 8wks post op and on a "normal" food diet she told me to try them cooked soft(if only she knew lol)

...to be truthful, I didnt use my blender! I masked stuff up with the back of a fork - and I agree, mash and cheese combo which I had for about a month, is a bit repetitive. But, soon you'll be onto other things - why not take a look in the Bypass menu thread - I know I posted my early menus in there. ;)

not really to fussed of the mash becoming repetitive as such, i just didnt no if that would be TOO MUCH carbs......x i had a look earlier i mainly found 4wks onwards, but il keep looking :) thanks x

what are you managing to eat to get all that protein in?

To be honest, I'm incorporating a protein shake which has 23g on it own. I have that as my 'milky drink' snack, half twice a day. I quite like it, so its no hardship. Otherwise, enriching food with low fat cheese triangles (laughing cow ones have 3g each!) or some 0% Total yoghurt really helps with the protein intake. And for my taste they are much nicer.

I know, time has flown by, just busy doing nothing, lol. I'm doing well, all healed on the outside now, itch a bit though. Eating and drinking is getting easier, being really careful, and haven't been sick or had any dumping symptoms as yet. Got a b**** cold, not impressed. I was a bit naughty and weighed myself yesterday (couldn't resist) and was so shocked because I've lost 10 lbs since the op!
How about you, how you getting on?

glad your getting on so well, have you received your follow up appointment yet? i got a letter today , scheduled for 28th march at 12.10 @ loxwood centre ! :) im doing ok , my wounds starting to get bit itchy , none of the steri strips have come off yet though, iv had no problem with what iv eaten so far either, no sickness or dumping so thats good! im being really cautious too! i managed a few laps around my block of flats in the garden today, and have to walk to the gp monday to sort vitamins, im thinking of having a cheeky weigh there to, then i wont weigh again until my 6 week check! well done on your loss so far. xx

Hi I use a hand held blender which is fine. Some banana with low fat custard is lovely. And I have weetabix with warm milk, petit filous etc. going to blend some fish in parsley sauce. I had to add a bit of skimmed milk to my cauliflower cheese nice and soft.
I have been drinking alot of boiled water and started on NAS orange juice. Limiting coffee to 1 a day at the min, I normally drink stacks.
I plan to make some mash, beans and cheese. Getting bit sick of dinners and soup! Mmmmm

Back