• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

SRH Psychologist said NO :(

Rolanda

Hi, have not been on here for ages but after seeing the psychologist at Sunderland I really need some advice. I saw him last Sat and basically he told me that because of the way I use food surgery is not an option for me. He wants to work with me and has suggested that in the future if he feels it is suitable I may be able to have a balloon procedure. I just feel so low now and dont know what the future holds, I so wanna be slim. Has anyone else encountered similar problems?
Theresa xx

I have my appointment on ther 31st and must admit that I am really worried about it. so much is riding on the outcome,
What sorts of things do they ask you? In fact I think that I am petrified....

Feel gutted for you !!!

Hi Minoots, to be honest Tony was really lovely even though I am gutted he said I cant have surgery. When i went in he asked me if I was nervous, which I was, so he then asked me why I was nervous. I started babbling on about how food food was my best friend and worst enemy at the same time. He didn't really say very much. I burst into tears and told him about the history of my relationship with food. The 45 mins flew past. Hope all goes well when u see him xx

When i had my opp the girl next to me had been turned down she worked with him and about 6months later he said she could have the balloon. please don,t give up.xx

Its not all gloom you could find out the reason why you choose the foods you do and hopefully learn that food can be your friend :)

Good luck

Rolanda, sorry to hear that you are not very happy with the decision made, but please remember his decision is not final and that your case should be discussed at the MDT Meeting (Multi Diciplinary Team) Meeting where there are other people who between them make the decision. So all is not lost.

I wasn't told yes the first time. Good luck honey. :D xx

Arh Rolanda I'm really sorry to read your post, you must have felt crushed... I agree with Neeta that its not all over just yet so hang on in there. How long did you have to wait to get your appointment with him?? I'd like to think that he will work with you until your ready for surgery and then the whole outcome will be very positive. Don't be too down hearted.... xx

Hi, have not been on here for ages but after seeing the psychologist at Sunderland I really need some advice. I saw him last Sat and basically he told me that because of the way I use food surgery is not an option for me. He wants to work with me and has suggested that in the future if he feels it is suitable I may be able to have a balloon procedure. I just feel so low now and dont know what the future holds, I so wanna be slim. Has anyone else encountered similar problems?
Theresa xx

My psyc told me that as I had come through a divorce after 17 years of marriage and loosing both my parents within two years of eachother to cancer and nursing them at home plus the loss of an aunty in a car crash, she thought that I could more than cope with dieting and loosing weight and told me that she couldn't see what the problem was. Hang in there and fight your corner. No matter what your reasons are for wanting the surgery, they are yours and only you know how your weight problem is affecting you and your life.

Keep up posted. :D

Last edited:
Theresa xx

So sorry to hear this Rolanda. I understand that you're disappointed,and i would be aswell,But try to be positive and you'll get what you need sometime.

Sorry i can't help any other way :(

Take Care

Andy xx

Hi I never seen a psychologist at srh before the op which I thought wud hav been standard. Don't know if I just slipped threw the net.
As previosly said don't give up hope it's down to the whole team for s decision not just one. Xx

Ahhh lovie, I feel for you, I really do but, try not to give up hope, A MDT is more than just the Psychologist, he/she can make their recommendations but, it's all the team that decide. x

sorry to hear that you didnt get to hear what you wanted to hear but the one thing i will say is that the psycological support is more important then the surgery itself. it really helped me understand my relationship with food but more than anything helped me love me for who i am. i suppose i am one of the lucky ones in that food has never been an emotional crutch but equally it is my enemy as i can so easily go off food when emotional.

Take whatever help is on offer as when food is removed as a coping mechanism you need to understan why you were using it so you dont end up with and addiction transfere which can be worse!! good luck and take care x

spose its a bypass u was wanting ? hes anti bypass, wora loada rubbish he spouts out ! hes pissing alot of ppl from srh off ! :(

hes been spouting crap about support group being bad for ppl too....... i best keep me trap shut gggrrrrr !

Theresa xx
Really sorry to hear your news. I cannot imagine how you are feeling but my thoughts are with you and hope you get it resolved very soon x

When I was first referred for surgery, the team point blank refused to accept me as a patient, not even for their standard 'go away for 3 months then come back and give us your decision' rule. I was told that because I was addicted to food I needed therapy first. Three months later I went back and told them I'd had my cbt and they agreed to put me forward.
So don't lose heart. What I would say though is that whilst the cbt helped me a lot, it is only a tool, and I have struggled post op with a return to bingeing and making bad food choices. So whilst it's horrible to be told no, they do it for a reason. Put the work in and you'll learn so much about yourself and once they know you can deal with it they will give you the op. How you deal with this rejection in the coming weeks is important too. You'll probably feel like eating everything in sight and it will be useful for you to think about why this is.

We spent a lot of years getting fat. A few extra months whilst you work on those demons isn't too long in the big scheme of things. Chin up and best of luck xx

I was turned down the first time by the psychologist too, then I realised that if I told him what he wanted to hear he would put me through, and now I am just waiting for a date.
I really hope you get your op. Don't give up. x

Back