• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Stages/timescales of the post op diet for sleevers?

newcy

I'm hoping to get my sleeve in about 2 months time :) and am wondering how long it takes to get from the liquid stage to eating 'normal' food? X

8 weeks, 2 weeks of each of liquid, pureed, soft, textured.
Tbh the first 4 weeks your body is recovering from surgery so the food stages are spot on for what you can eat. Im nearly 10 weeks out and im eating normal food but it is soft.
All hospitals are different but that was mine.
Kim

6 weeks from liquid to solids. 1-2 days liquids, up to 4 weeks post of pureed, then unto 6 weeks post op soft, then can move onto solids from 6 weeks post op :) x

That's gr8! Thanks girls x

Hi Newcy,

My answer is going to be similar but slightly different to the 2 answers above. Having chosen to have a sleeve myself, I bought a book: Successful weight loss with The Gastric Sleeve - Dr. Alvarez which explains everything.

According to the advice of Dr Alvarez (and every doctor and hospital varies slightly):

-- 3 weeks liquids
-- 3 weeks puree food

Week 7 -- introduce textured food

Within the first 3 weeks he breaks that down even further:

Week 1 -- clear liquids only (thin soups) and NO caffeine (only decaff tea and coffee)

Weeks 2 and 3 -- you can start to introduce slightly thicker liquids (eg thicker soups and yogurts etc)

Dr Alvarez's advice is always on the cautious side but he says he insists on 3 weeks of liquid food to ensure that the staple line has plenty of time to heal before introducing puree / mushy food which can exert a *bit* of pressure on the staple line.

That book looks fantastic - I've searched for a book just about gastric sleeves but couldn't find one. Did you get it direct from that website or somewhere else?

Really useful info hun, thanks a lot x

Hi Newcy,

My answer is going to be similar but slightly different to the 2 answers above. Having chosen to have a sleeve myself, I bought a book: Successful weight loss with The Gastric Sleeve - Dr. Alvarez which explains everything.

According to the advice of Dr Alvarez (and every doctor and hospital varies slightly):

-- 3 weeks liquids
-- 3 weeks puree food

Week 1 -- clear liquids only (thin soups) and NO caffeine (only decaff tea and coffee)

Weeks 2 and 3 -- you can start to introduce slightly thicker liquids (eg thicker soups and yogurts etc)

Dr Alvarez's advice is always on the cautious side but he says he insists on 3 weeks of liquid food to ensure that the staple line has plenty of time to heal before introducing puree / mushy food which can exert a *bit* of pressure on the staple line.

I tried ordering the book for my kindle, paid for it with paypal and haven't managed to download it. Have I wasted my money or what can I do?

I tried ordering the book for my kindle, paid for it with paypal and haven't managed to download it. Have I wasted my money or what can I do?

Email Dr Alvarez direct: [email protected]

His email address appears on his main website so this is not confidential information. (He is into all the new social media things -- Twitter, Facebook, and loads lots videos to YouTube -- he is not exactly someone who does not want to be contacted !!!)

I bought a hard copy of the book direct from the website, if you press the gold sticker on the books web page "order now" it takes you to a PayPal order payment page.

I had emailed Dr Alvarez in advance to query and confirm postage charges to the UK ...... he is usually good at answering any queries.

8 weeks - week 1/3 liquid foods
4/7 soft foods
8 week normal foods

Told by my team

All hospitals give out different advice. mine said

weeks 1-2 liquids only, anything that can be sucked through a straw but no bits.
weeks 3-4 pureed food. any of the above plus yogurt consistancy foods, i.e mash.
weeks 5-6 soft food any of the above plus food that is soft mash, fish, mince.
weeks 7+ normal food but beware of bread, rice, and stringy food.

I only spent a week and a half on liquids and pureed and i am now on soft foods with a few normal things thrown in as i can.

newcy said:
Ordered my copy today - thanks hun x

It a great book I got mine
At week I am three weeks post op x

I'm looking forward to it arriving - been looking for a sleeve specific book for ages x

Sharonimo said:
Hi Newcy,

-- 3 weeks liquids
-- 3 weeks puree food

Tks for the link hun just ordered a copy :) x I've got about 6 books n none of them really tell u much bout the sleeve so I'm really lookin forward to it arriving ;) xx

Sent from my iPhone using WLSurgery

Back