• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Stalled - will it ever end?

Cath860

So fed up. Been stalled for about three weeks now. Have tried eating less, or eating more, or upping the exercise (still walking mainly due to bum ankle not allowing for much else). Nothing seems to be working!

It's making me really down and when I'm down I usually eat a lot of buns. No buns now so hard to know how to deal with it. Doing a lot of hoovering instead but it's not quite the same!

Anyone got any suggestions? The dietitian said it happens, especially if you've been a life-long dieter, and just to be patient. But it's hard when things have been going so well and I really want to press on.

On the upside, bought size 16 skinny jeans yesterday which made me very happy - literally can't remember when I was last a size 16 - down from a 22 pre-op. So something's working!

Sorry to moan!

I know I have stalled several times along the way. Since Christmas I have been playing with nthe same 3 or 4 lb on noff on noff. Nightmare, up the water and protein keep to 2 -3 portions of carbs a day that usuallyn triggers a loss, I try hard sometimes slide a little but keep plodding onwards xx

I've had about 4 stalls now, some lasting weeks and weeks at a time. December I lost 4lb the first week of December and nothing for the rest of the month. Frustrating isn't the word is it? but like you say a life time of dieting really messes with your metabolism. Mine seems especially messed up. I seem to lose a months worth of weight in a week and then nothing for 3 weeks. It's just the way my body works, maybe yours will be the same or maybe it will even out but it will start up again I promise, to be honest I would just stick to the dieticians advice and your body will catch up again when it's ready. You'll probably find you lose a lot when it starts again. Best of luck and keep venting here as it really helps :) xx

Oh and size 16 skinny jeans!!! that's amazing, take you measurements because you can be losing inches rather pounds. I do them every month and what I've lost inch wise is more impressive than how much weight I've lost, if you haven't already start taking them today :) x

Thanks Chrisa and Shelley - it's comforting to know that it's happened to you too - especially as you've both done so well! Makes me feel a bit more positive.

Just keep on going xx Thats what we do its difficult but since when was anything easy??? xx

I'm still in pre-op and may be talking out my backside, in which case I apologise, but is it worth putting the scales away for a couple if weeks?

When I did Slimming World I used to give mine to a neighbour so I couldn't weigh myself.

Xx

Its something we all hit at least once if not many times on our downward journey. We automatically think its not working I need to eat less as in the old mind set, then more as that doesn't work then up the exercise & fluids. Sometimes only a sensible eating & exercise plan with a good fluid intake while waiting for our bodies to accept the losses & changes we've made & its having to deal with. Sometimes it just has to have time to accept & give up its stores of fat. A combination of everyone's advice will help as will stepping away from the scales & using a tape measure to see those inches melting away even if the scales are seeming stuck. We have to be careful not to swap one obsession with another on our downward journey & scales, protein, calories, carbs, exercise etc can all become our new obsessions we need to find the happy medium & peace of mind that can bring to save ourselves a lot of heartache.

You are so right. I was sitting in front of my fitness pal yesterday fretting about my carbs, protein, fat, calories etc!! Then I smacked myself in the head (gently) and thought - I eat much less than a third of the daily cals I used to - there is no way I won't keep losing weight. Made myself step away from the computer and take a few deep breaths!!! I am feeling a lot more positive today, maybe it's just the sunshine but hey, whatever works eh??? Thanks ladies xx

I think i had more stalls than losses in the past 14 months. And quite a few weeks apiece too so you are not alone! But I still managed to lose what I wanted, no idea where the losses happened but they just did! Just relax, maybe change what you are eating, up your fluids, reduce your carbs, and wait it out..it will happen!

Cath, I'm right there with you! Had the op about 4 weeks ago. Lost 10lb on the milk diet, then another 10lb straight after the op. Since then...nowt! And it just doesn't make sense as I can't be eating more than 6-700 calories a day at most. Some days it is probably more like 400. Logic would say that your body can't exist on that low level of energy without eating itself but mine clearly doesn't want to let anything go just yet. I think I may also be retaining a bit of water as I don't think I'm peeing as much as I'm drinking (if that makes sense), but reading through the posts on here it seems like most people have had to go through this so am just hanging on and hoping the tide turns soon. I'm just keeping faith with those who have been there before me and know that the ride can be a bit bumpy. Hang on in there, girl!

Hi Cath, I am the same and seem to be scales obsessed at the moment, (is this something we all go through)? I have just managed to lose 1lb in the last 3 weeks, and it's frustrating to the point of wanting to throw the blooming scales out of the window. I have tried cutting down, eating more, exercising more (my trainer told me to slow down a bit yesterday), drinking more, more protein, less carbs, no carbs, weight watchers. You name it! But reading your post and the replies has made me realise that it has to happen, I am eating 1/3 of the calories and doing 100% more exercising. We'll get there!

I am5 weeks post op and know exactly how you all feel. I lost 13lb the first week then nothing for 3 weeks. I was devestated :(
Then this lady week I lost 5lb and hoping it continues.
Hang on in there it will get better :)

I HATE THE STALLS. I have said many times previously I have stalled, I weigh in once a week and measure myself every 4 to 6 weeks when I remember. I dread the scale seach week in case I have gained weight even when I know I have been really good. I never go without a weigh in weekly because to me personally if i don;t see it iot hasnt happened, if you get my drift? If i don't get on thta once a week if I have ate more it will just keep that way what the eye doesnt see, then I get a false sense of security, think I'm clever then bam next weigh in month or so down the line I could easily put a stone on, because of this op I will not take the chance of that happening, I only weigh in on A THURSDAY ,morning it only changes if I am not going to be at home which is rare. It is what keeps me on track. The scale sare always there but don't get on them till weigh day. I darento take the risk of weight going back on over a non weigh in time, This op has been to improtant to me to go back over now. I also understand how people get hung up on the scales , and like to go on every day or so, but that is not me. xx

Chrisa, you're so string to be able to do that, I definitely need to hide the scales. Maybe I should just throw them in the bin and just weigh myself at boots each week.

I know that if I start weighing every day in heading towards an obsessive cycle. When I'm eatin well I don't need it more ofteb

I am the queen of stalling. I am nearly 11 months post op and probably have the slowest loss of most people on here.

But I know that my body can it hold the weight forever. I will get there. It will just take me longer than it takes a lot of people :) x

Back