• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

The Journey

lotsabeefy

Lots of ladies and gents seem to be writing a kind of diary in order to help themselves and others along their journey.
My name is Nadine, i am 36 and have 3 children and a loving husband.......oh and i weigh 26 stones 11lb.
I was a slim child but always had that feeling of wanting to eat constantly,but i had danced and so the weight was held back for a short time at least. i started to put weight on around the age of 15-16 (i would say that i have gained a stone a year since then).
My mum always seemed to be aware that i had this problem and tried really hard to stop me, she would join gyms and weight loss groups with me in the hope of stopping the greed over taking me.
By the time i was 20 i was easily 18 stone and so it progressed.
So i spent the last 20 or so years fighting and sometimes winning a battle but never the war.
At the age of 35 i went to my GP after trying all the weightloss drugs and VLCD's and asked to be considered for gastric surgery, i was given blood tests and then turned down as i had no obesity related illness. Fair enough i thought, i'm fat but it's not making me ill, i'll just get on with my life and whatever.........In Aprill 2009 i applied to do my nurse training and was accepted by the University of Central Lancashire. I was so excited, my GP had filled the medical form in and although stated that i had no health problems my BMI was 53. 2 weeks before i was supposed to commence my training i was asked to attend an appointment with a Dr at the occupational health center, he took one look at me a stated that his job was to ensure that the people the NHS were funding for training would be employable after they had received training. He took one look at me and said that by the time i had finished my training the affects of obesity would have taken there toll and therefore refused to pay for the funding. However what he did do was write to my GP stressing that i needed surgery in order to loose the weight and recommended that i be put forward.
So here i am i have met with Dr Syed who has now written to Blackpool PCT to arrange funding and i have my sleep apnea test on the 19th November.
I am very frightened and don't know what to expect my only option for weight loss surgery is the bypass and if any one can tell me what happens from here onwards i would really appreciate it.Also if anyone has been funded by Blackpool PCT i would really like to know how long you had to wait.
Cheers
Nadinexx:flirt2:

Hi Nadine, Welcome to Mini's. I am having my bypass next week but in London. There are other Miniminers in your part of the country and I am sure they will be along soon. There is no need for fear, you will get lots of help and advice here, you have come to the right place.

Good luck with your journey.

Hiya Nadine

Welcome to Minis :)

I was scared witless through my whole journey up to the op so you are not alone there.

Cannot really tell you what will happen from here on in regarding waiting times etc as it varies from place ot place..try not to get too stressed out by the process, fingers crossed it will all go smoothly for you.

If you have any questions, just ask in the main section and I am sure someone will be able to answer for you

Take care Xx

Thanks for your words of encouragement hope you are recovering from your surgery

Hi Nadine,
:)Welcome to Minis-its great!

Thank you for starting your story-I love reading all the diaries I am still learning lots

There is a lovely lady from Blackpool on here called Gail Michelle but I'm not sure if her op was funded by your PCT-I'm sure she'll have some info for you

Only other advice is to read,read, read & read some more-I have been reading minis for about 6 months & learnt soooooo much

Welcome to the forum Nadine. I finished my nurse training in January, I weigh 17.5 stone and you are totally doing the right thing in addressing your weight. To say that nursing is hard on your feet is obvious, but when you carry lots of excess weight it can stop you from carrying on with a profession that I love. I go for my bypass in 11 days time and the main reason for my doing so is that I can carry on nursing. Good luck with the weight loss and also the training, you'll love it.

Hello dear & welcome to minis, it is a great place to come to get support. It is perfectly normal to be worried, we all experience that on the road leading up to surgery. I had my bypass a year ago last week and it was absolutely the best thing I have ever done except maybe marry my fab hubby!

Sorry that I can't help you with Blackpool's pathway but if you have any other questions/concerns please shout, we have lots of peeps here with advice, support & friendship.

Best of luck to you,
Nic:p

Spoke to the lady at Blackpool PCT yesterday who said that my funding would go to pannel today and that i would be contacted by the end of the week to discuss which provider i wanted to use. So after some questions posted to the minis it seems that Blackpool PCT offer a choice of Spire Murrayfield on the Wirral or The Alexandra Hospital in Cheadle.
Ive looked at both the websites but it dosn't really give any info except the Alexandra has Mr Ammori who some of the mini's absolutely rave about. Maybe its not that simple though?
I am going to Salford Royal on Thursday to be fitted with the equipment for the sleep test.
Thats about all for now, if anyone has used Murrayfield or The Alexandra i would be greatful to learn from your experiences.

Hi Nadine, I'm really glad you started a diary on here and I know it will help you as you go through this whole process! I am definately rooting for you and I wish you every success, I had a lot of weight at the beginning , I'm 5'2 and started at over 25 stone so I know how crappy it is to have such a lot of weight to lose but lovey I know you will do it.
My fingers are crossed for you that you get that op as soon as possible and you are able to lose that weight and put your career plans into action!
Wishing you every success , hugs xx

Had the sleep test last night
So..... i had to be at Salford Roayal by 3.30pm to be fitted with the equipment.
I got to the Cardiorespitory place at around 3.10 pm and sat down, it was busy as hell and i thought i'd be in for a long wait, but only a couple of minuites later a small middle aged guy called my name.
We went into a small room where he nervously attatched the ECG machine to my chest, i dont know if it was my ample chest or what! but the poor guy was shaking like a leaf, he took about 10 minutes filling in paper work and then i was on my way home again.
Hubby and kids were in the car so we did a quick flypast the trafford center to see the silver reindeer.
When we got home it was around 7pm so i attatched my finger and nose pieces and turned on the machine, i relaxed for a while and then went to bed.
I wasnt made too uncomfortable by the whole procedure but to my dissmay when i awoke this morning the machine and all its wires were on the floor.
I'm hoping it wont matter too much as i'm sure i must have had it on most of the night..............:confused: __________________

Hey all;
I have an appointment on the 10th of December to ee Mr Agwunobi, at the Alexandra I'm hoping this will be when i get a date for surgery.

Back