• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Starting my journey

Tobi

Hello all

Trying (and failing) pretty much every diet and exercise program out there for the last 10 years or so, I have finally made the decision to go for a gastric band despite my fear of general anesthesia. I think most of you would understand that it takes a while to get to this point when all else fails, WLS becomes your last hope.

I have let myself down 5 years ago when I promised myself I would fix my problem before I'm 30... I have also failed once again when I promised myself I will not be morbidly obese by the time I'm 35... I've turned 35 a few weeks ago, still 10+ stones to lose. I feel like I've had enough trying and failing and I'm not ashamed to admit that my willpower sucks and I need serious help.

I'm in a funny place in my life right now where I feel like a bunch of strangers on a website can understand and help me more than anyone else I know.

In the last month or so, I have been researching gastric bands while my family kept trying to talk me out of it and telling me they love me the way I am as they are terrified of the horror stories they read about WLS. But I don't love myself like this and I find my life difficult while carrying all this weight around, I just want to be healthy. I have full confidence in my decision since my husband agreed with me and gave me his full support (and the funds for the operation, haha!) so here I am, so excited and dying to get a first appointment but I know that first thing I need to do is to find myself a surgeon.

Looking forward to share my story as I go and read about yours.

Here we go... : )

Tobi x

Hi, welcome to the site an good luck with your journey. I have taken great comfort from the members on here. I had a band on the 12th June and I've only had a general anaesthetic once before and it wasn't a very good experience as
Just as the anaesthetist started the injection someone shouted wait she's not ready yet!! So I was pretty frightened this time. However I had it done at dolan park an the team were lovely and relaxed, there was music playing, the anaesthetist was so calming I actually woke up saying wow that was lovely! I enjoyed that! Ha ha. Think I was a bit high from all the drugs! That aside I think it was the best decision I ever made. I have about seven stone left to lose now and I know it is much more achievable now. There are so many helpful threads and people on here. Ask as many questions as you can and even if it sounds daft ask because someone else will have gone through it. My daft question was will I always burp this much?! Ha ha. I'm assured not.
Good luck! X

Hi Tobi,

I'm just starting out too and it sounds like I'm in the exact same position as you!

Let's hope the time passes quickly until we can get the solution we want.

Good Luck xxx

Thank you ladies, wishing us all lots of luck! X

Hello and welcome, it does feel odd knowing strangers know how u feel more than anyone else but sometimes you have to take advantage of that to get the information you need to make the right choices .... This lot here have helped me so much on my journey so far ..... Good luck huni were all here for you xxxxzxxxxx

Good luck all! It's yours for the taking so get spending hubbies money quick :)

Welcome tobi. With any surgery there is going to be a risk; but staying overweight is far more risky. A decision to do something positive about your health and life should be applauded and supported. Its sometimes difficult though for people who are not in your shoes to understand what you are personally going through...and they are concerned because they care about you. We can be your support! Grab the opportunity ...:)

Hi Tobi,

I am going for WLS on Tuesday in Prague and I am absolutely terrified!!! But what's even more terrifying is the thought of living another 50-60 yrs being obese and miserable!! Keep focused on the positive things like being able to shop in 'normal' shops and never walking into a public place and feeling uncomfortable and embarrassed about your size again. It's going to be a long journey but the destination will be well worth it!!

xxx

Hi Angelwings - i couldn't agree more! Wishing you all the best on tuesday :) i believe good things happen when you think good thoughts, just keep positive! X

Hi all :)

After disappearing for a few months, I'm back!

When I first joined, I was in the research stage where I was also on a diet to start losing as much as could before a consultation and hopefully setting a date for my op.

Then I got caught up in a mega busy few weeks at work where I've worked terribly long hours. This sadly made me very very stressed and I found comfort in food again, bleh :cry:

Then I had an injury where I had to lie on my side for 2 weeks and it was very very painful - again, I found comfort in chocolate and pizza...

After a month or so my pain was still there but much better and manageable and it was almost time for our holiday. So before we went away, I booked my consultation with the surgeon (Dr Paul Super via The Hospital Group) for a couple of days after we come back from our holiday.

I didn't really diet or watch what I ate during my time away, knowing that when I got back I would be good. And I have been good since :)

I had my consultation on the 16th of Sep and booked the surgery for exactly 4 weeks after, 15th of Oct.

Plan is a two phase pre-op diet to get be below 50 BMI before my operation. First 2 weeks around 1000 calories a day, low fat, low carb, high protein. I'm almost at the end of the 1st week now, it's been good so far. I started walking to work, takes me around 30-35 minutes each way. I lost a few pounds and hoping for a bit more next week.

The last 2 weeks will be 3 pints of milk, 4-6 mini pots of yogurt and 1 oxo cube a day. Not really looking forward to this but I'm trying to concentrate on the big picture rather than stress over temporary problems.

This is both a difficult and exciting time in my life and I can't wait til I see the outcome.

Tobi x

Hi Tobi! Great news on your date. I'm being banded by Mr Super at Dolan Park a week after you on the 22nd =) I have to do the milk and yogurt diet for 2 weeks starting on the 8th (can't remember if I was supposed to have 2 or 3 pints of milk a day, will have to check!). Sounds like you're doing well so far. Keep us posted! The people on this forum are lovely!

Thats greats news good luck xx

Thank you all for the good wishes - back at ya! x

Hi Tobi
I'm booked in with Mr Super on the 15th oct to be banded maybe we can keep intouch and meet up there
Nicky
;)

Hi Nicky! Ooh how exciting, we can be hospital buddies :D

How are you getting on?

I'm starting pre-op diet tomorrow, a bit nervous about that. Initially I was going to do it for the last 2 weeks but I'm a tad worried about getting down to 50 BMI before the operation so my patient co-ordinator suggested i start the milk diet now and I agreed... Eeek!

Tobi x

Back