• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

starting pre-preop diet

hello all,

I am sure this will be fine, but I am starting my Pre- preop diet today. 4 weeks of the milk diet....hmmm, can't remember having sooooo much fun.:rolleyes:

I know people's diets vary and mine is just 3-4 tsp bovil, 4-5 pints of semi-skimmed milk, sugarfree jelly and sugarfree gum.

Today, i haven't felt one bit hungry, but then I think it is because I am lactose intolerant and the milk is bloating me, so I feel full. Not to mention, as the milk doesn't like me the side effects aren't so nice, and my bum is rather sore. It is almost 6pm and I still have at least 2 if not 3 bovil drinks to get through. I will see how I feel in a day or two.

I know I will be fine and make it, but I not so how that my bottom will be in one piece when I am done.

J:p

Hia. If you're lactose intolerant, why not buy lactofree milk? It's a little bit more expensive, but I think most supermarkets sell it now, and 4 weeks of intolerance is a lot to go through!
I had lactose intolerance immediately post-op and the lactofree milk was a life-saver!
Best wishes on the diet. xxx

I have actually tried to lacto free milk, and I really hate the taste of it. But on the plus side, I don't have to worry about constipation...*LOL* I am hoping that maybe it will slow a bit in a few days. Fingers crossed, if not I will just have to grin and bare it. And just in sure that I drink enough water to make up for the lose. Luckily for me I love water, as that is ALL i drink, so I will be ok. Just need to wait and see. On the other down side, is at the moment, I am not certain when I have GO or I just need to free some air.... and when I do need to go...it is NOW not later if you catch my drift.;)

I figured that if I make sure i finish all my milk, by 4 pm, then I won't have worry about having to get up in the night. And I can have my bovils for dinner. By the time I am off to be my symtoms should be gone.

Also a bonus, is that the milk makes me bloated so I have No real hunger at all.

Gosh I couldn't taste any difference! Poor you. Does your provider know you have lactose intolerance? They could put you on a different pre-op diet, ie the low carb, low fat one?

Yeah I did tell her, she said to just got for it to start with and if I have any problems to let her know and they can do some kind of tofo thing...but I hate tofo soo much I would rather go through this. I have seen few who are aloud 2 piece of fruit and 1 veg, I would be happy with that. But nevermind, ...mind over matter eh?

I will try to lacto-free milk in a few days if I don't get any better, and since I am aloud to use the No added sugar crusha then maybe I can do something about the taste.

Um....I thought maybe there would be more support on this site, I am surprised....I was previously on the WL site for years and I always found it so friendly and supportive. Being as we are all in this situation at one point or another, I am just surprised.

Anyway, I have been on this for almost it week. I have found it incredibley easy. I think I only had one 3 minute period where I was actually hungry, but that is all. I thought though I would lose more weight on this.

I have only lost 5 lbs. total in the last 6 days and only 6 oz of those oz in the last 2 days...I just don't get it. I am not eating a thing. I am allowed sugar free jelly, which I have only had twice...and can never even manage more than 1/2 of one... I am drinking my 4 pints of milk even though i am allowed up to 5, I am drinking my 3 tsps of bovil, but I am allowed up to 4 ( would rather have nothing to be honest). I only drink water....so no tea or coffee or anything....So i just don't get it. I hear of people 3-4 stone in the 4 weeks...I even lose 16lbs in a week on when I went on cambridge a few years ago.

Maybe it's because I really didn't eat much to start with....but according to my scales, I have to consume 2300+ calories a day to keep at my current weight. I am only consuming 1400 at best...1180ish is the milk... so I should be losing more that 6 oz ( 168g).=-(

The whole lactose thing has slowed down now...the last two days, I haven't need to "go" as much as I was...so I guess my body is getting used to the milk, and since I already flushed out what was in there...I am not really going too much. I feel really low and let down...I thought it would be more productive...I am not bothered about eating TBH, I just want to see something for my efforts...surely that isn't too much to ask?

I have called the clinic to see what they say....so I am not too sure what else to do....

Im fairly new, but so far have to say I have found everyone on here to be friendly and supportive.

Im also doing the milk diet, mine is 4pts milk, sugar free jelly, gum,1 bovril or marmite drink.

Like you the milk is giving me the trots, the first couple of days was worse, now I'm just peeing none stop.

4 days in I've lost about 10lbs. don't get disheartend, if your loss starts of slow, it will pick up.

maybe now the intolerance thing has slowed down, some weight may start to come off, ive always found everyone on here extremely supportive, and there are times i wouldnt have got through things if it hadnt have been for my wls family. but sometimes when your new to somewhere, it takes a while to get to know ppl and the longer we're a part of it, the more comfortable we feel.
i hope you do well on your milky diet, not sure i would like it, when do you have your op hun. hugs xx

Hiya I just found you today. Unfortunately us banders are in the minority but we are here I promise!!!

The site is so busy we sometimes miss each others posts ,which is why I started a thread to try and get us all together
here
http://www.wlsurgery.com/wlsurgery/130804-we-can-do-too.html

Also if you use the prefix drop down box to the left of your thread title when you make a new thread we can identify it's another bander more easily in the sea of bypassers!!

Hope you will come and hang out with us as the more the merrier !
We need each other and I hope this will help you feel less abandoned!

The pre-op situation sounds miserable. I was on a low carb low fat one ...basically a lot of plain chicken and veg dinners.

Actually it was not too bad and I lost 8lbs in just under a fortnight, if I were you I would ask the dietician to swap because you needn't put up with being so uncomfortable x

Um....I thought maybe there would be more support on this site, I am surprised....I was previously on the WL site for years and I always found it so friendly and supportive. Being as we are all in this situation at one point or another, I am just surprised.

Anyway, I have been on this for almost it week. I have found it incredibley easy. I think I only had one 3 minute period where I was actually hungry, but that is all. I thought though I would lose more weight on this.

I have only lost 5 lbs. total in the last 6 days and only 6 oz of those oz in the last 2 days...I just don't get it. I am not eating a thing. I am allowed sugar free jelly, which I have only had twice...and can never even manage more than 1/2 of one... I am drinking my 4 pints of milk even though i am allowed up to 5, I am drinking my 3 tsps of bovil, but I am allowed up to 4 ( would rather have nothing to be honest). I only drink water....so no tea or coffee or anything....So i just don't get it. I hear of people 3-4 stone in the 4 weeks...I even lose 16lbs in a week on when I went on cambridge a few years ago.

Maybe it's because I really didn't eat much to start with....but according to my scales, I have to consume 2300+ calories a day to keep at my current weight. I am only consuming 1400 at best...1180ish is the milk... so I should be losing more that 6 oz ( 168g).=-(

The whole lactose thing has slowed down now...the last two days, I haven't need to "go" as much as I was...so I guess my body is getting used to the milk, and since I already flushed out what was in there...I am not really going too much. I feel really low and let down...I thought it would be more productive...I am not bothered about eating TBH, I just want to see something for my efforts...surely that isn't too much to ask?

I have called the clinic to see what they say....so I am not too sure what else to do....

I'm sorry you haven't found the forum supportive & helpful, as I personally could not have coped at times if it wasn't for the people on this site. Some of whom I've had the pleasure of meeting personally & would like to now think of us as close friends!

However, I must say this is the first time I've seen your post so maybe you posted at a busy time & people didn't really get the chance to respond as it was bumped to the bottom of the list.

As for the milk diet, 4 weeks!! Bl**dy hell!! That's a long time. I barely managed the 10 days our hospital has us on the diet for. I craved foods I don't normally eat, it wasn't the hunger that got me as I felt quite full. It was the cravings.

If you don't like the taste of lactose free milk could you not add some (no added sugar) strawberry Crusha, which was a tip off Charis? Or Almond milk or soya milk? Not sure if any will help or even allowed whilst on the milk diet but might be worth looking in to.

Take care & good luck ;)

Try not to feel too despondent about your weight loss. Mine wasn't that great on the milk diet either & I'd read posts about people losing loadsa weight & feel so low. It'll be worth it so please persevere.

Why don't you add more of your info to your profile then people will know what op you're waiting for etc.

Wow, what a response...thanks ladies. Well, I am glad you have all commented and that you feel this place has helped you. I won't give up yet, just wondered if I smelled funny or something! *lol*

Well, I can have the crusha....but it tastes plasticy to me so I just let my kids have it. *LOL* My husband bought the lactose free brand I haven't had before and it wasn't too bad but WAY more than I can really afford to buy, with the amount I need to buy. But since the symtoms have chilled out a bit, I can handle the semi skimmed.

I have called the clinic and hoping someone will call me back today, but I have a feeling they won't.

I will try all of your suggestions and update my profile, and try the banders threads etc....thanks again for answering....all of you.

I will be sticking to what I need to do with this...as I said I am not hungry nor do I wish to eat, I just want to lose weight. My husband who is eating a poor diet since he doesn't have to cook anything healthy for me has managed to lose more weight than me and I haven't eaten in a week.*LOL* I could just smack him...hahaha...

There is nothing worse than when you fella loses more weight than you!! I should know! My fella decided to start eating healthy when I started my milk diet & to date has lost 2 stone!!

So he's lost more than me & I done 10 days on milk diet as well as undergo a gastric bypass!!! Its so unfair :(

Good luck anyway

Back