• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

starting to panic

tink1974

Hi
Well I have completed my 1st week of pre-op diet and have lost 12lbs which I am chuffed with.
My surgery is on 9th Dec and I am really starting to panic, especially as I have 2 young daughters (5 & 10). I keep telling myself that this is the best thing in the long term for us all but I am frightened that something will happen to me during op.

How did you cope with this before your op?

Thanks
x

I had the same worries pre-op, but as soon as I got to the Hospital, the Nurses and consultants were so helpful and informative, they put me completely at ease. so much so that I wasn't nervous at all when they were wheeling me down for the Op. you will be in good hands, and everything will be fine. :)

Tink, your 2 young girls are exactly the reason you need to have this surgery. It is perfectly normal to worry at this stage - you wouldn't be normal if you didn't. Just be reassured that they will do all the checks and wouldn't operate if they thought it was risky. My health was compromised by my weight, I had diabetes, high cholestrol, asthma and backache, all of which have now disappeard and I am only on vitamins now rather than the 9 tablets I had to take a day before. The healthier you can be for your surgery the easier it will be and losing 12lbs will go a long way in your favour. I had my op on 4th Dec last year and Christmas was quite tiring (and I haven't got 2 young ones) so make sure you have support around you for when you come home. I'm sure you won't need luck, so I'll just say hope all goes well and you are on soon joining us on the losers bench x

Hi
Well I have completed my 1st week of pre-op diet and have lost 12lbs which I am chuffed with.
My surgery is on 9th Dec and I am really starting to panic, especially as I have 2 young daughters (5 & 10). I keep telling myself that this is the best thing in the long term for us all but I am frightened that something will happen to me during op.

How did you cope with this before your op?

Thanks
x

Im feeling just the same i'm on my own and i dont know how i'm going to cope. Ur not the only one who has these fears, believe me. Keep ur chin up, sure everythng will be fine x

I would imagine everyone has these feelings and it's not unusual for us to question the op also at a late stage... I've found myself in that position at times recently... but I justify why I need the op based on my long term chances and health... it's good to soul search precious and to explore your feelings... it's not an easy journey... you have to travel on this route though to appreciate just how tough the terrain can really be...

Good luck, thinking of you and all the best with your pre op .... xxx

aw thanx everyone - i appreciate your words & thoughts. I keep reading posts in here to keep me positive.

UR all a great bunch of people
xx

Thinking of you and not many days to go now... I always think when something gets this close... it's soon going to be over... I wish you all the very best with your new way of life and future... loving hugs to you and wishing you all the very best with every stage of your journey xxx

Hi sweetheart, think of the positives instead of the negatives.
Think of the wonderful life you can share with your children once the weight has gone. So many more things to achieve and many more memories.
I think we've all gone through the "what ifs" and "am I doing the right thing?". This is normal as we fear the "unknown" but there is'nt anyone I can recall on here that has regretted having their op.
You will be fine sweetheart and you'll enjoy your wonderful new, healthy life.xxxx

Id be very suprised if everyone isnt exactly the same before surgery........I went from so excited I could barely speak to absolutely petrified lol. The main thing I tried to focus on was what would happen to me if I didnt have surgery.....I didnt like the answers, I knew I had to do it just to have the chance of a normal life. Im only nearly 9 weeks post op and already I am off diabetes meds, off 5 different blood pressure tablets and 53 lbs down :D Think what a difference the surgery would make to you :D Go for it hun, and enjoy every minute XX

i lost my mum at 11 and im so scared too ,i keep thinking something will happen to me too ,but when im being level headed i think i will be ok,and im not living life anyway at the moment because im sore everyday ,so my advice to you and myself is course we will be ok.but if you werent scared then you wouldnt be normal...good luck honey xxim so hoping i get on the waiting list soon x

Hi Tink,

like you I have 2 children (7 &9). I was a complete basket case leading up to my op on 20th Oct 10. I was racked with doubt and the days before the op I could barely hold a decent converstion or concentrate on anything for 5 minutes, I was that worried that I would not survive the op.

Part of me knew that besides doing this for myself, my motivation was (and still is) my children, I wanted to be an active healthy mom who could do things with them and I want to be around to see them grow up and do well in life.

For me it was not until I got to the hospital on the morning of the op that I calmed down a bit, and the feeling when I woke up from the op was indescribable, I'd survived. YOU WILL TOO!

The fear is natural, we all feel it, it is perhaps just compounded by the fear of what will happen to our children if things don't go to plan.

Bottom line, we could go out today and get hit by a bus, for me I felt like my heart was about to give up under the strain of all the excess weight..... so I guess we have to put it into perspective, get as fit as you can pre-op, it helps and STAY POSITIVE. Focus on the sweet life post op.

all the best.

Well first thing to remember Tink is to breathe. In and out would be good LOL

These feelings of nervousness are completely natural. This is a big step to take Tink

I always say the same thing here, your surgical team will have carried out a medical assessment of your case and checked your records and current state of health. They are happy to proceed. If they had any doubts then trust me you would not have cleared for surgery so worry not it will be fine

A short time from now you will wake up all done and dusted, a little sore and giggle about your pre op worries, you'll be farting for England and wonder who installed the gas making machine while you were asleep :D

In a few weeks people will be telling you how great you look and none of your clothes will fit you. A great new world and life await you Tink you're in for a heck of a ride, grab your arse and try to hold on, it's going to be great xxx

Hello there, I feel your panics from here.....It just goes to show the severity of these op's us ppl on here had/having and when I hear of outsiders saying " Having weight loss surgery is the easy way out" I remember the feelings and thoughts of the ppl on this site and think too myself " If only you knew" (and a few other choice words which I couldnt possibly write on here, LoL) - wot u r feeling is so very normal.....good luck to you xx Julie xx

You've had some great advice and comments already Tink. Be reassured, we all go through his to a greater or lesser degree.
What I did t help myself was to write down a list of all the things I hate about being overweight, and then another of all the things I hope to gain from weight-loss. This helped me t put my fears and anxieties into perspective.
WLS is not necessarily an easy ride and anyone who says its the easy way out needs their bumps feeling! But in my experience, it IS worth it!
Hugs and love, Grace xxx

I agree with all that has been said and the good advice that you have been given. It is hard as a mom, but, you are doing this to ensure your children have you around for the maximum time possible. My children are 7 and 9. I just imagined how much better their life, fitness etc would be with a mom who could play, walk etc with them. I made sure they knew how much I loved them and hubby and prayed that all would go well. So far so good.

I also imagined how I would feel when I met up with some of the people who have made nasty comments about me in the past. Most of all I'm looking forward to shopping in normal shops. You wouldn't be human if you didn't have doubts.

Sending you lots of hugs.

Rebirthxx

Look through all these wonderful posts over and over again Tink and they will reassure you. I had my surgery a week ago and everything went through my mind about what could happen and the fact that I'm 58 as well. Know what, I knew that everyone was on my side and doing all the obsevations and checks necessary to make sure that I was in the best possible health I could be before my surgery.

Look forward Tink and make a list of all the great things you'll be able to do with your wonderful children that you cannot do now, it will spur you on, take care Tink. xxxxxxxxxxx

I had my surgery just last Wednesday and felt exactly the same as you are ...when I woke in recovery the first thing I thought was thank goodness its all over and I have to say the nursing staff and my consultant were all amazing!

I'm not yet a week down the line and feel so priviledged and thrilled to have had this opportunity to tackle my weight once and for all and I cant wait until you are here where I am as its fantastic x

you've done brilliantly xx

Jayne

thank you everyone from the bottom of my heart (& I mean that) - Your comments are all so true. I think I will actually print them off and keep them with me when I fly over to Birmingham next week.
I know that this is the best thing for me and for my family and cant wait for my improved life to start.
You are all great
xx

Back