• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

normal to have panic attacks week before op?

Willow65

Good morning all

i am on 2nd week of the liver diet (oxo/jelly) this week. On saturday i woke at 6.30am and was in a blind panic, crying to my husband telling him i couldnt go through with it. Not eating again, the pain etc etc.

Am i Normal ????? is it worth it???

this time next week i will be having it donr- and i am a serious WUSS of the first order

Please please reply
xxxxx

Oh I would imagine it's pretty normal lol. I think I was actually abnormal as I wasn't nervous till I got down to the theatre prep room.

But as for "not eating again" and "the pain". A) You will eat normally again - just much less and not for a few weeks. B) There isn't much pain from the op itself - just discomfort. The pain is from the trapped wind and can be eased with Deflatine or similar.

It will be worth it - just hang on in there :D

thanks - oh and what about the tiny amounts you can eat? i hear its like the end of a rubber on a pencil and you have to chew forever before you swallow. Is this forever or does the amount you can swallow increase (obviously slightly).

Its only meat that my dietician says eat pieces no bigger than the end of a pencil rubber. You should be able to eat loads of foods just in smaller amounts :D The nerves are completely normal, I hope! as I am exactly the same. You will be fine :D X

I would think your panic attack is down to lack of food - this pre op diet is nothing short of torture and totally unnecessary - why you cannot be on a 1000 calorie a day diet until your op like I was, is a mystery to me.

The op itself - you should sail through and be home within 48 hours - no pain other than trapped wind and after your fluids only time and eating mush time then you should be able to eat normally albeit in much smaller amounts. I had mine 17 months ago and have never looked back - best thing I ever did. I eat a completely varied diet but in small quantities and food is no longer the be all and end all.

Good luck!

by the way SlimmerKay - way to go 10 days after op - how are you? are you getting about :) ???

Thank you :D

I feel great and have done since the day after surgery. However, take a lesson from me. Don't overdo things even if you feel great. I did a little and I've pulled an inner stitch away from the tissue under an incision. It hurts but it will heal itself.

Rope people in - as many as possible - to hoover, shop, put the bin out, change beds etc for you for the first couple of weeks.

lol Jacqui cheery as ever!

Hello Willow,

I would reassure you by saying that we all have palpitations at times wondering if we should or shouldn't go ahead with this life changing surgery....

I've searched myself inside out over my waiting times and I always conclude that I can't live my life governed by my weight... it's been a losing battle for me for years and the weight has been a nuisance with my health and quality of life.

The decision is an individual one... but in my case... after so many inquests and explorations around the subject... I know it's the right way for me to go.

Thinking of you and if I can ever be of any help... I am here...

Love and hugs to you and yours xxx

Back