• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

"Sticking" and being sick

MrsPill

I read on another thread that Mazza had never been sick which I found extremely encouraging as I hate being sick.
Are there any other banders that haven't been sick?
And also, she mentioned that she had a couple of sticking moments...what does that feel like and what do you do when it happens?
This is something that really worries me.

Feels just like you have swallowed a lump of unchewed food and its stuck in your chest!

Hey - why no just ask me? lol x

I feel like food is stuck if the amount I have swallowed is too big or if I swallow it too quickly. I know when its going to happen because it makes me cough. Its not felt in the chest its higher up. No doubt if I carried on eating beyond this point I would be sick - well bring the mouthfull back up anyway.

What to do when it happens - stand up and walk around, then burp if you can, or you could try sipping some water and eventually it will pass. Most of all learn from it, its not nice!

Dont let it worry you, it has only happened to me a few times in over 2 years and only very recently ;)

Having experienced no sickness up until I had my third fill on 13 June this has become almost a daily occurrence and it is really depressing me at the moment. I know it is because I am way too stressed at the moment. As someone with a vomiting phobia I have had to learn very quickly how to deal with it. Once I realise it is going to happen I have given up trying to hope it will pass as the discomfort is far worse. I feel like my chest is going to explode. Better to just get it over with and get it out.

The experience will be different for everyone - that is just my view.

tranquil x

Getting 'something' stuck is similar to the feeling if you have ever swallowed a tablet and its stuck in your throat...only now you get a tightness in your chest which makes me hold my breath (like its going to help???)
If i stop at the very first sign of tightness, then it passes quite fast after a few good burps like mazza said, but if you are not paying attention and continue or try and continue, then it becomes worse and the pain in your chest is very uncomfortable. I start salivating a lot and get these gurggling sensations in my throat. At this point i know i need to fetch it back up and as much as i try to avoid it, i now know its the easiest and quickets way to get rid of the feeling.
Its not nice, its even worse when you are out for a meal and get something stuck on your 1st bite and thats you out for the rest of the meal!
Just keep learning, im 4 months out now and after every fill its like learning to rise a bike again for the first time!

Hi,

I have had the stuck feeling on two occasions. Its just the same as everyone else says. A tight feeling high up in your chest, watery mouth and quite painfull. Both times I was eating too quickly and not concentrating (both times dry chicken too). On one of these occasions I brought the food back up but it is not really like being sick because its only coming back a short way. No stomache acid for that bad taste in your mouth and just a tiny bit if food. Its not nice getting food stuck but its definately a learning curve.

Your band should not be so tight that you are regularlly getting food stuck if you are eating correctly. I think mine is probably on the loose side maybe but I am loosing the weight (very slowly) and still enjoying nice healthy foods so Im happy with it.

Leesh x

Hey - why no just ask me? lol x

I feel like food is stuck if the amount I have swallowed is too big or if I swallow it too quickly. I know when its going to happen because it makes me cough. Its not felt in the chest its higher up. No doubt if I carried on eating beyond this point I would be sick - well bring the mouthfull back up anyway.

What to do when it happens - stand up and walk around, then burp if you can, or you could try sipping some water and eventually it will pass. Most of all learn from it, its not nice!

Dont let it worry you, it has only happened to me a few times in over 2 years and only very recently ;)
Hey Mazza, I didn't want to bother you and also I wanted to know what other people did if things got stuck.
It sounds like a lot of people get chicken stuck so I'll be extra careful with that! Still on sloppies for another week yet and at this rate will be on them for ever more!
I'm back to work today...reality strikes!
Thanks for everyones replies. At least I know what to do now. :) x

Aw I was just kidding, I do have a dry sense of humour x

My provider advises to avoid chicken until 3 months post op so although I dont eat it I am aware it can cause problems.

Im 4 weeks post op and had my first fill of 3 ml in a 9ml band today - I felt more restriction at lunch when I had a child's ready meal of mini sausage with sweet potato mash but I've just got home and pinched a weight watcher cumberland sausage ( they're only 1 point so mega small !) and it's just got stuck !!!!whilst I felt sick I wasn't - just liquid-y burps and v v v uncomfortable - so will stay well clear of those from now on !!!

On the plus side I've lost a stone in the 4 weeks since my op !! Well chuffed <3

Ps got a lump round my port wound which was infected last week but one infection-has cleared with antibiotics but lump still there . Surgeon says it's a hematoma - anyone else had one of those ????

:9529::yuk:OMG dont talk to me about things getting stuck. I had my first (and only) experience of being sick today at lunchtime. I have been doing great so far with my soups and yoghurts and french toast and mushies and all good things but for some reason unknown to me I came home for lunch today, put my soup on to heat and went into the fridge. There I found a chicken. I pulled a lump from it, put it in my mouth, chewed about twice and swallowed. Then I ate another piece, not small pieces but pre band size pieces (greedy pieces). Then I nearly had a heart attack. Sore, sore sore. What did I do? I took a drink thinking it would dislodge it - not a mission. Just made it worse. So for about 20 mins I paced up and down, saliva coming from every orifice and me burping and hiccuping. God the pain. I eventually knelt at the loo and was sick. It came out at such a rate I nearly died. I expected it to sort of slide out which was why I didnt want to be sick. Thinking of being sick makes me sick. Phew gone. Not for long. It started again - swallowing was making it worse so I had to go and be sick again. Wow, what an experience and one that I will never repeat. What possessed me to chow down on a piece of two day old chicken Ill never know. Old habits die hard dont they. Im still not right - 4 hours later and I still havent eaten anything. Im still sore. So let this be a warning to you all - dont get complacent - it hurts soooo bad.

It's just happened again !!! For my evening meal I had half chicken breast ( done in Maggi so juicy paprika) carrots, green beans and mash but served on a side plate so small portion - I managed the chicken ( chewed well) and the carrots but when I tried the beans and mash I got pain in top of tummy ( under left ribcage) and chest plus sicky burps - is this my new restriction after fill or food getting stuck ???

Ty xxx

Note to self .... Don't eat green beans !!! They've just come back up !

All part of Living the Dream !!!

Apols for all the posts guys - it's all new !

Michelle x

Mgoody did you say you had a fill today? Most providers advise liquids only straight after a fill for at least a couple of days. Please check the information you were given for diet after fills. That is why you are being sick.

tranquil x

Hi tranquil - i asked him that and he said not necessary ! i was ok with breakfast and lunch - just the evening meal. Have just gone through the paperwork from provider and it does say that green beans are not well tolerated - so have crossed them off forever. will be careful from now on - think ive just gone full steam ahead thinking I can eat anything as I've had no restriction at all for past 4 weeks!

thanks for advice

Michelle x

Hi,
I had my first bad experience today too! Having had very little restriction i do still tend to eat too fast and when stressed with a toddler and a five yr old playing up at the table i didn't really chew some bacon well and bingo, pain in my chest, thought i couldn't breath well, wanted to throw up but couldn't! Was at a soft play on my own, so couldn't leave the kids whilst going to the bathroom, couldn't take the toddler and she would have her hands down the toilet! Nightmare!! But within a few minutes and a few burps it was all over! But i will never eat bacon again!!

hi we all just have to re educate ourselves on eating. you could eat chicken one day and it goes down and then the next day if you eat the same thing, it may get stuck. just keep chewing and swallow small amounts. when my food gets stuck its like a plug in the sink. sipping liquid WILL NOT clear the blockage. it has to come back up. i on on my second fill and have great restriction, but still get food stuck.. i have learnt to get slowly and wait until the food has gone down before i take a second bite. i have found being hungary is when i have problems. i have had two or three bites of something because i am so hungary,,,, and then the problems start. the food gets stuck. i try not to get hungary now or if i do, always remember to eat very slowly.

Back