• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Still waiting to have a drink.....

Lollyowen

Hello all I'm after a little advice because the thirty minutes waiting to have a drink once I've finished eating is the longest ever!!!!!!! I know I've been told by the dietician to wait thirty minutes but is this for absolute ever?? Just wondering if fellow post bypassers could give me their experiences coz I'm really struggling with this
Thanx in advance, Lolly X

Hello all I'm after a little advice because the thirty minutes waiting to have a drink once I've finished eating is the longest ever!!!!!!! I know I've been told by the dietician to wait thirty minutes but is this for absolute ever?? Just wondering if fellow post bypassers could give me their experiences coz I'm really struggling with this Thanx in advance, Lolly X
yes this is forever, I often set an alarm on my phone, it's really important you follow the rules.

Thanx niccie not exactly the answer I was hoping for but never mind just gotta get on with it then, good tip about setting alarm might stop me constantly clock watching....a watched pot and all that haha x

I used to swill my mouth out with water. Giving up a drink with my food was really hard for me. I also used to have a sugar free ice pole, if I was really thirsty after a meal.

It gets easier Lolly, not easy but easier. I find myself cheating on the don't drink before a meal at times but always stick to the after a meal rule.

Hello all I'm after a little advice because the thirty minutes waiting to have a drink once I've finished eating is the longest ever!!!!!!! I know I've been told by the dietician to wait thirty minutes but is this for absolute ever?? Just wondering if fellow post bypassers could give me their experiences coz I'm really struggling with this Thanx in advance, Lolly X

I struggled with this at first but now I've got use to it. It does get easier with time xx

Even after 18 months I still struggle with this, im mostly good I will have a sip then leave tge rest and try not to think about it I have had an ice lolly as a gap filler but yes its from now on so im just gonna have to keep on keeping I guess

Is there any medical reason other than fullness ?

Is there any medical reason other than fullness ?

It was explained to me by the dietician that it was important we give our smaller stomach and upper intestines enough time to extract as much nutrition as possible from our reduced meals before washing the food through our system with fluids. Made enough sense to me to make me stick to the rule.

It was explained to me by the dietician that it was important we give our smaller stomach and upper intestines enough time to extract as much nutrition as possible from our reduced meals before washing the food through our system with fluids. Made enough sense to me to make me stick to the rule.
exactly what I was told Loop with my sleeve .

Same hete told exactly the same, need to get the most out of every meal, if you "flush" it away your stomach becomes empty and you end up eating again disaster!!

I know the rules apples to meal times but wondered is it ok to have say an occasional snack like a cup of tea and a biscuit and also like a glass of wine with a meal out ? Advice appreciated x

I know the rules apples to meal times but wondered is it ok to have say an occasional snack like a cup of tea and a biscuit and also like a glass of wine with a meal out ? Advice appreciated x
my personal opinion is if you stick rigidly to the rules you will have the best chance of love term success, but that's just my opinion ...

my personal opinion is if you stick rigidly to the rules you will have the best chance of love term success, but that's just my opinion ...

Hi Niccie I am doing but I'm only on purée so far I was wondering what the rules are regarding say a snack like a cup of tea and a biscuit and a glass of wine with a meal out its early days for me so all I've been told is the 30 min rule with meals?? Xx

Hi Niccie I am doing but I'm only on purée so far I was wondering what the rules are regarding say a snack like a cup of tea and a biscuit and a glass of wine with a meal out its early days for me so all I've been told is the 30 min rule with meals?? Xx

I would talk to your dietician Hun if you need advice.

I would say I do have the occasional biscuit with a cup of tea, no harm in that I don't think, however I am not sure I would have a glass of wine (which are empty calories anyway) with a meal though. but I would stress I'm not the rules police, its just an opinion and its what is working for me. Everyone has there own methods.

I would talk to your dietician Hun if you need advice.

I would say I do have the occasional biscuit with a cup of tea, no harm in that I don't think, however I am not sure I would have a glass of wine (which are empty calories anyway) with a meal though. but I would stress I'm not the rules police, its just an opinion and its what is working for me. Everyone has there own methods.

Thank you I have my dietician appointment on 29th Feb so will ask there as well .with regards to the wine I meant more on a special occasion if I went out for a meal as it is something I have previously always enjoyed it's a big learning curve for me thanks for the advice its appreciated and nice to see what's worked for others x

Thank you I have my dietician appointment on 29th Feb so will ask there as well .with regards to the wine I meant more on a special occasion if I went out for a meal as it is something I have previously always enjoyed it's a big learning curve for me thanks for the advice its appreciated and nice to see what's worked for others x

I know where you're coming from. I am only 6 months post op and how ever much research I did, I still had so many questions, its only natural. I wasn't having a go on the wine I was just saying I wouldn't.

I know where you're coming from. I am only 6 months post op and how ever much research I did, I still had so many questions, its only natural. I wasn't having a go on the wine I was just saying I wouldn't.

Oh I know you weren't and thank you for replying think these early days you tend to sit and worry you're doing well x

I feel soo much better that I'm not the only one that was confused by this but I think I understand the logic behind it now I had thought it was more to do with filling space in stomach rather than the absorption side of things, thanks everyone for your help and advice invaluable as always Xx

Talk to the dietitian Lolly, I had my surgery by Mr Small at Sunderland 8 months ago and was told at my 6 month check by the dietitian that it was time to introduce fluids while eating in very small amounts if i could tolerate it.
She told me i could have sips after eating but it was best not to drink before eating as it would fill me up.
I'm still losing approx 2lb a week and managing fine with just small sips of water after eating.
I don't understand why everyone is told something different but this is working for me and came from the dietitian herself. xxx

Back