• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Feeling after eating for post bands? Help!

Cowgirl

Licks the lid of life!
Hi Peeps

When I saw my consultant last week he said that the sensation of feeling full once I have my band wont be the same as feeling full up now, he said it would be more like the feeling of "if I eat anything else I'm going to throw up"

Have you found this to be true? Have yo actually felt hungry, like starving or is it just the same as in mind "oh i could really fancy a ....." but you'd never be able to eat it?

Ginaxxxx

hi gina im only 5 days post op i stuck to soup for first 3 days and as i still have swelling restriction didnt want more felt a little hungryer yesterday and had a little mash and gravy managed 2 dessert spoons and felt like id eaten a mountain its eating slower giving it time so you feel full its taken me a while to get the hang of but you really do know when you had enough i dont know after having a fill what its like yet tho

Hi Serenitylove

Thanks for your post.

Congratulations on your op and weight loss so far, 8kg's is bloody brilliant!xxxx

Hi Cowgirl

I'm slightly different as i had a bypass not a band, but in some ways its the same as like banders we bypassers have a tiny stomach too.
I'm only 4 weeks post op and really just starting to learn how to eat and what my stomach can take, if i eat to much it backs up my osophegus and i'm sick, and as an example i ate a slice of toast this morning and regurgitated half of it back up, so half a slice would have been enough, this tells me that as bread swells in the stomach a whole slice is too much at the moment.
Dont worry though being sick isn't like how you imagine it, you kind of regurgitate mouthfuls of undigested food soon after eating it, and once its out you feel a lot better, when your full it feels like you have a brick lodged in your chest, and this (for me) takes about 10 minutes to settle down.

Hope this helps a bit

Richard

Hi. I have not been sick yet, but you do eat differently with the band.
I find that I can feel full up all day on something that would not have touched the sides before, and sometimes after eating only a small amount, I feel as stuffed as I used to after a 3 course meal and a few bevvies!"
On other days, I just eat sensibly and dont really feel either hunger or full at all, it really just depends but I think that you just get to know instinctively what feels right for you.
After having over-eaten a couple of times and having spent the rest of the day feeling as though an elephant is sat on my chest you learn not to do it again - it really is physically impossible to eat like you used to!
Hope that helps x

hi gina
i am 3weeks post op and havnt had my first fill yet i do get hungry but i think it is in my mind as my tummy is ull.. as allie said if you eat a little too much then you feel as though your cest is being crushed.. the worse time for hunger for me was 10days post op when still on liquids and was very hungry but when i went to soft food 2wks post op it eased.. i cant wait for my 1st fill though..........
emmaxx

hi gina
i am 3weeks post op and havnt had my first fill yet i do get hungry but i think it is in my mind as my tummy is ull.. as allie said if you eat a little too much then you feel as though your cest is being crushed.. the worse time for hunger for me was 10days post op when still on liquids and was very hungry but when i went to soft food 2wks post op it eased.. i cant wait for my 1st fill though..........
emmaxx

Thanks Boobilicious!

I didnt realise you were only 3 weeks post op! God I can't stand waiting anymore, I want to wake up and the day be here!!!

allie how did it feel when your post op swelling had gone down was it still as restricted for you or could you eat more normally ?

Once your post-op swelling has gone down you will feel like you can eat for England again and until you get that first fill you will find that you need willpower!! I didn't really get my full appetite back until about 4 weeks post-op but between then and my first fill it was harder to be 'good'. Now, some days I feel restricted more than others - it really does vary and is a learning curve but you do get to know what you can and can't tolerate quick quickly - in my case french onion soup is a definate no no!!

Once your post-op swelling has gone down you will feel like you can eat for England again and until you get that first fill you will find that you need willpower!! I didn't really get my full appetite back until about 4 weeks post-op but between then and my first fill it was harder to be 'good'. Now, some days I feel restricted more than others - it really does vary and is a learning curve but you do get to know what you can and can't tolerate quick quickly - in my case french onion soup is a definate no no!!

lol i had that for lunch and was yuck i didnt like it and ty its quiet helpfull having someone to ask this too although everyone different i know were you on liquids for 2 wks? my post op sheet is only for a week liquid then next week sloppys although they classed mash and gravy as liquids i tried it last night but felt very heavy after so gona stick with soup a few more days i think

I had only a week on liquids and then on to mush. Liquid included things like yogurt quite early on tho, so I found puree went down well and just gradually blended things less over time. I still have soup often now, so make it your friend!!

Yeah I will, I love making my own soup so that'll be good!

Can anyone confirm something for me, the only time I stop snacking is when I feel sick, do you get this feeling with both the band and the bypass or just the bypass? If I feel like its going to come back up I stop but unfortunately I rarely get that feeling and want to take everything into account before I see the surgeon....thanks Linda x

Nearly 3 weeks post op and starving

I had my band fitted on the 29th August and over this past weekend my appetite has reappeared with a vengeance. I am still on mushy stuff although I had a ryvita which went down fine. Will this hunger ease when I have my fill. I feel like it might not work for me. I have paid for an aftercare package but they don't like to do a fill before 9 weeks.

Hi Cheerio

Congrats on your band.

Look, my surgeon told me that my first fill will be at between 4-6 weeks. Surely if your hunger is that bad they need to do the fill earlier than 9 weeks. I'd insist if I were you, you paid for the op and the aftercare. They can't judge everyone the same as everyones system is different otherwise there would be a set fill for bands no matter who you are! I'd call them and explain your concerns and insist on seeing someone hun.

Let me know how you get on!xxxx

Back