• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Sunbeds

Banana19

Hi lovelies!

I have never used a sunbed but wondering if anyone on here has and if so, was there a size/weight limit? I've a special event coming soon that if like a nice tan for :) spray tan is also an option but not sure how my skin would take to it as I have a bit of eczema.

Any advice would be great!xx

I went to sunbed before my wedding more than 3 years ago. I was size 20-22 then. I did prefer to go to the one where you stand up as it seem to burn my tummy less. Even though it used to leave more marks under tummy and breasts in that way.

Hi Llora,

Thank you for the reply :) I just need some arm, chest and leg tan. Not too overly worried about the rest ;)
Did you feel confined in the stand up machine? I'm a bit scared of feeling like I'm entombed!!x

Not at all. :) i was scared i will not be able to close the top of the sunbed before my first visit..:) well the one where you lie down was making noises when getting on or off so i was scared the plastic/clear bits over the lamps would break!! That would have been so not fun :) maybe i was just over thinking :) So thats why i tried the stand up one next time and loved it a lot better. It actually was good for avoiding white marks on my arms/underarms where they touch my sides as i could just lift them up to get the light there (well i think that helps). and i felt more comfy as i was able to move if i wanted. as i was so afraid to move in the one before (because if the reason above) i was all staying still for up to 10 min which was not so nice :) :) :) :)
So i was able to move legs or arms.. Or head.. You know some time with one arm up some time with both up or down. Some of them sometimes have a bar on the top where that help when you have your arms up well if you can reach one :) i am short.. And it took a while to find out there was a button on some of them which lifts the base of the sunbed up!! :)

Just be very careful with the time you are in.. As i did find that the stomach and bottom would burn more easy than the rest of the body.. Maybe because they never are exposed to sun.. But i think it was because they are sticking out more and come closer to those lights/lamps (just my theory) so they burn :) and well i am pale! But i usually tan nicely if i get exposed to the sun :)

oh good old times :) now i have rosacea.. So i use spf 30 even on cloudy days.. And 40 or 50 on sunny ones.. and of course avoid the sun on my body as i dont want to have white face and tanned arms :D

Btw you can always call the tanning salon and ask if they have a weight limit and what it is. To avoid the embarrasment of going in and being kicked out .. :) abd when calling you dont have to face the person eye to eye :) :)

Last edited:
Thanks so much hun for all the info and advice :) I just popped down to a lovely place in my town and they were so helpful, I didn't specifically ask if there were limits but they showed me around and made me feel comfortable. So I guess I should be ok!! :)

Next question though, what lotion should I be using? Some people I know have said just moisturise?!xx

Well i did use the one i bought at the tanning salon. It was emerald bay i think it was called definitely dark or something like that. I dont think i am allwed to add a picture of the bottle here :) I just asked the girl for one without strong smell, non tingle and without instant bronzer. After i used loads of body lotion (usual one or sometimes after sun one as i liked the cooling effect) and aloe vera gel to cool down in the evenings. But make sure you ask for advice from the person who is working there. she will help you to decide how long and how often to tan. as it does depend on skin type.. ;) Just dont go in for long at first. Better not to rush :) . You do not want to burn. i went after spending some time in the sun outside so wasnt even the palest already :) but still I used to go for 5 min to start and have at least a day off in between. Sometimes even two days. Quicker is not better! :) you really dont want to burn. :)

My mum, when she was size 30, cracked the glass on a lie down sunbed, she was absolutely mortified!!

I use sunbeds regularly, not so much at my heaviest tho but I have never found a problem with them. It's always lie down that I do. None of the shop assistants ever mentioned my weight but even still after losing 6 stone do far I still lie in them thinking what if this bursts or what if I crack it haha obv been watching too many final destination films. You could maybe phone the salon if your worried or use on of the stand up ones xxx

Thank you so so much for all of your responses :) :)

I decided to go ahead with standup ones, and all is going well! Little bit burnt after yesterday but not my fault - the salon gal set the machine for too long!! Will be having a gentle word with the salon over the weekend to make sure it doesn't happen to anyone else. I had my face covered and couldn't see the time counter :(

I understand the comment re fake tan. This will only be a once off month for me. I sometimes have an eczema breakout and don't want to be all blotchy on this special occasion, so thought I'd give the sunbed a go.

Xxx

I have a trade card for my local salon services so I always get a bottle of tan lotion from there coz it's cheaper then at the sunbed shop. The one I'm using just now is called unbelievably black and I think it's really good. It was only about £8 for the bottle as I went on one of the vat free days. The one that I buy at the sunbed shop was called back to black I think. That was also really good. If I'm honest I look to see which one is gonna give me maximum results n that's how I choose. The one just now is meant to boost your tan x25 and I do notice a difference. I also started by doing only 6 mins for a little while then moved up to 9mins but I have a wedding at the weekend so thinking of maybe doing 12mins this week xx

Oh no!!! Poor mum!!! What happened? Did she have to pay?

Thankfully the guy was reasonably cool about it and didn't ask her to pay for the damage but she went home and cried she was totally mortified, she never went back there and avoided sunbeds for a while.

She now uses a different salon but uses the stand up instead now.

Back