• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

surgery alone?

vickylou

Hi all, was wondering if anyone on here went though their surgery alone, with no family when u went down or any vistiors when u were in hospital?
Amd how was it, would u have perfered someone with u?

Was just wondering as i will be doing it alone but nervous about not having anyone there not sure why i feel like that though.
:eek::eek::eek::eek:

hey vicky, im still very pre op, but when my time comes i'll be alone, im ok with it, i do most things on my own lol, good luck sweet :) xxx

vickylou said:
Hi all, was wondering if anyone on here went though their surgery alone, with no family when u went down or any vistiors when u were in hospital?
Amd how was it, would u have perfered someone with u?

Was just wondering as i will be doing it alone but nervous about not having anyone there not sure why i feel like that though.
:eek::eek::eek::eek:

Just wondered is it through choice that you're doing it alone? As in do you prefer not to have anyone there getting on your nerves?!

Sent from my iPhone using WLSurgery

I was alone at the hospital before the operation and after. My adult daughters (18 and 20 at the time) came to see me in the evening. They forgot my bag - so I had no night clothes - no fresh knickers and no clothes to get dressed in. I was lucky I only stayed in one night.

I was fine on my own though and wouldn't have minded if they hadn't visited. The important thing is to have a way of getting home as you won't be able to drive.

I'm pre-op but will be alone too and won't get any visitors - not looking forward to that part but I'll be ok and at least will get plenty rest x

I was alone as didn't see the point my bf waiting whilst I went down and recovered. I rang him when I came too...he came at 8pm but to be honest I told him to go soon after as felt so sleepy..was killing me staying awake..just needed to be alone n rest. Hope you have someone to drop you and pick you up tho? (unless you're close enough to have a taxi)
X

I live in MK and i had my op in London so my family couldnt visit, althoughmy aunt came with me on the day and waited until i came out of surgery then she had to leave. this was the friday.. i left on the sunday when a friend came to pick me up... but i wish id been able to have some visitors as i was in a 3 bed ward...and that was empty from the saturday morning apart from me.. it was horrible.. and i had found out a friend had passed away that day too... so my experience of being alone wasnt a good one... although i have had ops nearer to home and been alone and been ok. i think being so far away was a bit lonely and it would of helped having a visitor xx

Just wondered is it through choice that you're doing it alone? As in do you prefer not to have anyone there getting on your nerves?!

No not through choice, mum is disabled and bed bound so wont be able to come, Dad lives on the isle of skye so 9 hours away not that we get on or i dont think i will even tell him i am having it done, and my bro works for my dad for weeks on end, so also 9 hours away, my sis inlaw has her kids to sort so not really an opotion.

So i am gonna have to ask my mums friend and see if he will take me and pick me up, if not it will have to be the train.

I'm pre-op but will be alone too and won't get any visitors - not looking forward to that part but I'll be ok and at least will get plenty rest x

Good way to think of it.

I am going private so i am hoping i will have my own room which i a pretty sure i will.

vickylou said:
No not through choice, mum is disabled and bed bound so wont be able to come, Dad lives on the isle of skye so 9 hours away not that we get on or i dont think i will even tell him i am having it done, and my bro works for my dad for weeks on end, so also 9 hours away, my sis inlaw has her kids to sort so not really an opotion.

So i am gonna have to ask my mums friend and see if he will take me and pick me up, if not it will have to be the train.

I'm rubbish at this web site, so can't see where you live or are having it done. But if it's any where near London, I'd be more than happy to visit or help if you need any. No problem at all.

are you a sunderland patient ? x

I'm rubbish at this web site, so can't see where you live or are having it done. But if it's any where near London, I'd be more than happy to visit or help if you need any. No problem at all.

OMG that is so very kind of you, gutted i aint down there now thats an amazing offer but i am having a gastric bypass in manchester, I live in Preston so depending on where abouts in manchester it is (will find out when i go for my pre op) should be about an hours journey from where i live.

I cant get over ur offer so so kind thanks xxxxx

vickylou said:
OMG that is so very kind of you, gutted i aint down there now thats an amazing offer but i am having a gastric bypass in manchester, I live in Preston so depending on where abouts in manchester it is (will find out when i go for my pre op) should be about an hours journey from where i live.

I cant get over ur offer so so kind thanks xxxxx

No problem! I'm a big baby and when I went I phoned everyone and hung on to hubby for dear life! It was all fine of course;-)

xx.

My sister dropped me off at the hospital on morning of op and i was on my own till the evening after surgery its no big deal...

My sister dropped me off at the hospital on morning of op and i was on my own till the evening after surgery its no big deal...

I know, I am 28 so need to get over it really but i feel like I am still a kid at heart lol, just really dont fancy coming home on the train if i have to!

When I had my band op in 1999 - a friend dropped me off and picked me up 3 days later, I had no visitors and none of my family knew I was in hospital. Some of them knew it was planned but not when. Sometimes I got a bit bored when others had visitors...but I can not bare fuss so choose not to tell them until after. Good luck xx

I know, I am 28 so need to get over it really but i feel like I am still a kid at heart lol, just really dont fancy coming home on the train if i have to!

I think the going by yourself could be scary, although the no visitors might not be so bad but coming home by yourself isn't ideal. I'd really try to get someone to pick you up hun - do you have a friend who's mum could pick you up? Or maybe a cousin or someone? Even someone you're not close to would be better than no-one at all x

Where in Manchester are you being done?

Lynne x

I think the going by yourself could be scary, although the no visitors might not be so bad but coming home by yourself isn't ideal. I'd really try to get someone to pick you up hun - do you have a friend who's mum could pick you up? Or maybe a cousin or someone? Even someone you're not close to would be better than no-one at all x

Lol all my friends drive hun, the thing is I am a very private person so not planning on telling people till way down the road plus all my friends work full time. Hopefully my mums friend will take me and pick me up, will have to ask him so i can set my mind at ease, but it will be a case of dropping me at the door lol he freaks me out a bit lol

Back