• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

The last supper, did you have a big slap up meal !!

Roch

Shrinking away nicely :)
Hi all well tomorrow is meant to be the day i start my 2 month pre op diet :eek: yes i know its very long but my surgery is booked for March 2nd :D but i am up for as cancellation from Jan 28th onwards and my hospital are very strict on us being on the pre op for 4 weeks, so am hoping they are thinking i will get a cancellation so wont be on it for 2 months and one day.

Have been thinking bout the "last supper" and was going to go for a Chinese blow out meal where i would most prob chuck my guts up 8 times after lol but then i sat down and thought bout it over this weekend and decided i was not going to have "the last meal" as all these last meals have got me to my heaviest in june of 27.13 :cry::cry::cry:

Was just wondering who had the last meal, does not matter what surgery u had and did u truly enjoy it or did u decide to abstain.
Take care and ty for taking the time to read my post xx

I have started my milk diet today, so my last big blow out was my christmas dinner plus all the crap i ate yesterday. xxx

i had about a month of last suppers! From my first consultation at the hospital in January to my op on 30th August I gained about a stone and a half.

I wouldnt recommend that anyone does the same as me, I just thought it would be my last chance to enjoy food. Now though, 4 months post op, I am starting to enjoy food again and can tolerate most foods just in tiny portions.

Hi Roch, as usual you are thinking through every step. well done.

I did have a few "last suppers", really because my birthday coincided. Having the experience over the last couple of months I would recommend not going overboard, but do try and get in different textures. Ie, crunchy, chewy etc as that is the thing I missed most during the early post-op stages.
Have a happy new year,
John xx

Hey Roch like Sam i also had about a month before i started my pre op milk diet and i went on a mamoth last meal so to speak, and boy oh boy i would not recomend it to anyone it took nearly 4 days to bring my sugar levels back under control. I would say that you should just have a normal meal and enjoy it cause i wish i had never done it, and given my time again i woulndt have either.

Sharon xx

Looking back I was disgusted in myself!

The last few weeks, when I knew my date and the start of the pre-op diet, I ate anything and everything! A final blow out!

I'd have McDonalds morning and night going to and from work, I'd have a breakfast and lunch at work! If I wasn't working I'd go to the Morrisons meat counter and get all the going out of date meat and cook it! I'd do so much there wasn't room on my plate for it all!

Hello e1,

Hope you all had a nice christmas, I know everyone talks about having the "last supper "etc, just a thought (dont get em often , lol)

Just wondering why is e1 hell bent on having a " last supper" ??
I mean I understand why ya wanna eat what u can for ya last meal before u start the pre op diet etc , But surely doesnt that make the start of the pre op diet harder because you had what ever you wanted for ya last supper the night before and therefore you go from eating what ever and as much as you want to next to nothing (pre op diet varies I know) ......

I am thinking out loud here and maybe (if) I get that time, , eating a big meal the night or two before you start your pre op diet isnt only going to make things harder for yourselves???? I havent had the op or I understand how anyone feels, and I aint judging no one just trying to understand why you do it thats all ....Hope no one takes offence

All the best - MeJulie x x x

It's because food played such a big part in my life. It was the only thing, apart from the time I have with the family, that made me happy. It's like an addiction! No, it doesn't make sense, but then what sense is there getting so big in the first place that you can't do anything else apart from have a life threatening operation to help you?

Unless you actually do have a food addiction, you probably won't ever know what food can be like!

Ask the people continually O'D'ing on drugs. Does it make sense to them? Probably not, but they can't stop themselves. Can I understand drug and alcohol addiction? No I can't!

It's not easy to explain to someone, but it makes sense to me. It mentally prepared me, I had my last blow out, that was it. I never cheated once on the pre-op diet. I've not cheated in the 6 months since the op.

It was what I had to do to prepare myself and it worked.

Like most other addictions, people not having them, don't understand them.

I didnt have a last supper kind of thing but the day before my pre-op started I had a prawn layered salad from Asda, containing salad at the bottom, some small pasta next layer and then some prawns in seafood sauce on top, not really most peoples choice of blow out food but as I had heard that some post-oppers couldnt manage prawns I was determined to have some and enjoy them and also the same for the pasta part and the salad. I truly did enjoy it. For desert I had some Ben and Jerrys ice cream and that was that.
The first week of my pre-op diet was low calorie so actually contained food and I loved the mushed up eggs I had for lunch that week and truly enjoyed the grilled chicken I was having for dinner, so it was only the second week that I was on fluids (no milk, that killed me!!!) so I guess that I didnt really need a blow out anyway.
Going into it with that "Ill never be able to have {insert desired cake, sweets, food} ever again" is a bad way to do it, it made me hate my surgery for a while post-op but as new foods come back into your diet and you get your head on straight you see that thinking in that way was counter productive.
If you feel as though you need that 'last meal' experience then let yourself, but it really isnt needed, food WILL be a part of your life again and you WILL be able to enjoy eating again, just in a new/different way.
Good luck xx
Steph xx

It's because food played such a big part in my life. It was the only thing, apart from the time I have with the family, that made me happy. It's like an addiction! No, it doesn't make sense, but then what sense is there getting so big in the first place that you can't do anything else apart from have a life threatening operation to help you?

Unless you actually do have a food addiction, you probably won't ever know what food can be like!

Ask the people continually O'D'ing on drugs. Does it make sense to them? Probably not, but they can't stop themselves. Can I understand drug and alcohol addiction? No I can't!

It's not easy to explain to someone, but it makes sense to me. It mentally prepared me, I had my last blow out, that was it. I never cheated once on the pre-op diet. I've not cheated in the 6 months since the op.

It was what I had to do to prepare myself and it worked.

Like most other addictions, people not having them, don't understand them.

TY for this explanation, the penny has dropped

All the best - MeJulie xx

I didn't have a big slap up meal so to speak. My pre-op diet was only 5 days but I had a three hour drive from our home to the hospital in Manchester and I ate a Nando's meal the night before my op (and my liver was super tiny).

But you do definitely get to eat again. I enjoy food now whereas I didn't before. I just shoveled it in.

This journey is far from just physiological' it is very much psychological too and the hard work starts when you wake up.

I think, as said above, that food has played such a large part in our lives maybe a 'last supper' is a way of saying goodbye to large meals (and ergo, an old lifestyle) or even as a benchmark to the next stage of the journey.

I didn't get a chance for a 'last supper' as I had 8 days notice to my surgery date so it was liver shrinking with immediate effect for me!

But I can see the logic and value (for some) in having a 'last supper'. It's horses for courses I guess.

I though that I didn't but in fact did overeat prior to the start of the pre-op, diet. luckily I didn't cheat once when on it

M

I remember meeting NJS in August at the Birmingham wls meet and he said something that stuck in my head ever since...

Quality not quantity! I know when i get to the pre op stage i'm going out for a slap up meal. That doesn't mean it will be so big i wanna undo me jeans belt after finishing. I'm going somewhere and having a well cooked quality meal and not be stuffed silly.

At least i hope i stick to that plan, good luck Roch you're gonna rock xx

i couldnt have one as had gallstones and would have really hurt x

I ended up having two 'last' suppers prior to my bypass; a blow out at TGI Friday's for my birthday and one of my Mum's roast dinners.

In part I wanted to have the foods that I enjoyed one last time in the quantities that I was used to, also knowing that with the pre-op diet and puree stage I wouldn't be able to eat normally for a while.

On another level it seemed to be a fitting tribute to a 'friend' with which I have shared most of my life, and a farewell to one of the behaviours that has led me to have the bypass. In fact my last suppers helped to reinforce that I had made the right choice in having the bypass.

Good luck with the pre-op diet and your upcoming surgery!

Dan

I had a sort of junk food blitz the week before I started the milk diet . Proper london pie and mash with liquer from manzies, fish and chips from harry ramsdens, apple crumble with custard, donner kebab and chips, dominos pizza. I just felt I had to try out all my favotrites one last time :D

I start my pre op diet tomorrow for 2 weeks (not milk diet, just very low fat, under 3%)
I just had a few ciders round a friends house followed by a cheese. onion & tomato toastie.

I will really miss bread & cheese. But have been really good over Christmas because I didn't want to put on any extra weight. ( I have also been working which has helped take my mind off it.)

I wasnt given a pre-op diet to follow, so my blow out was in the form of a really expensive meal that my mum took me out for - I soooooooooo wish I hadn't done it now as I was constipated for literally 2-3 weeks post op and it knocked me sick that all that last meal was still inside me?! Haha

Back