• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Surgery on saturday - feel awful

Hi I'm hoping someone can give me some advice... I had the surgery in England on Saturday - travelled from N.Ireland and flew home again Sunday... pain from the wounds but these wind pains are killing me feel like my stomach is going to explode... tried gripe water and have been reading the different advice but does it ease? Finding it really hard to stick and wondering have I made a big big mistake getting this done.. pls help me with some advice...

Hi there, which surgery did you have?

As for wind pain it will ease and its only been 2 days since your op. You will need time to heal.

the best advice I can give is movement to shift the gas and keep taking the painkillers every four hours, so the pain doesn't build.

i hope you feel better in a few days :)

Hi I had a gastric band..... was hoping that by today I would have felt a bit better but the pain is rotten coupled with wind pains and really thinking this is a nightmare!!!

you have just had major surgery - you are bound to feel pain, it does get better, you have to be patient. Blimey I was a wreck the first three days home, better on days 4-5 and then by day 7 reasonably back to normal.

once it all calms down and the weight comes off, you will think the total opposite.

Hiya Julie, i am 2 weeks post op tomorrow, I got given dissolvable Solpadol from the hospital, i am sure you can buy these over the counter at your chemist or go to the doctors and ask for some, for the wind pain i took windeze, i did try the grip water but it didnt touch me, i took a windeze tablet when i got up in the morning, again at lunchtime, at tea time and at bedtime and it soon started coming out of both ends. Try moving about as much as you can as well as this will help to shift the pain. Good luck and hope it eases for you soon X

Hi Julie,

Also try using a hot water bottle as well this can ease wind pain a little and sooths.

Take care Xx

Hi Juliannec, Have you tried some warm water or ginger tea. As Bungle said peppermint tea is quite good so is peppermint water which you can buy from the chemist. Getting someone to massage your back with warm oil and your hand followed by a warm bath can also help.

Rebirth

Last edited:
Hi Julieann. I was on here 2 weeks ago saying exactly the same thing and now Im grand. The flight home is the worst thing isn't it. The thing that helped me was to keep moving i.e. rock backwards and forwards etc and I took windeze 4 times a day. It will last a few more days as my wind pains were awful until the Friday after the op but I haven't looked back since then. I too was sent ho,e on liquid paracetamol and ended up in lisburn a and e and they gave me co-codomol which was much better but I only needed them on the monday and tuesday. Just be careful if your using them though as they can make u constipated. Chin up, things will get better soon.

Try moving around Julieann as this does really relieve the wind pain. Also if you have the gripe water make sure you have a good old swig and not just a spoonful. I know it says a spoonful on the bottle but thats the dosage for babies not adults. Keep moving and see how it goes. Hope you feel better soon. It will be worth it in the end sweetheartxxx

hi u will be fine i was with leon when we had the op on the same day we were in alot of pain......it does go give it 2 weeks and you wont feel bad any more .....get a hot water bottle or one of those bean bags that u heat in the micro got one on my back now as still got back pain it really does take the pain away , got mine in sainsburys for a tenner best thing i eva got for the pain .......u will be fine mate x

Peppermint cordials great too:D

THANKS

Wow I am so grateful to you all for replying so quickly - great support forum....and will definitely take all your advice....thanks again so much

Hi Julieanne, I hope you'll soon feel better, I felt awful on an hours drive home so I can imagine your journey home has made the already uncomfortable after surgery pains far worse. However you have had some great advice from everyone and like everyone has already said, each day gets easier xx Just wanted to send my love and best wishes x

hope you are feeling better soon x

Hi Julieann

I posted a similar comment to yours last week, two days after my op.

I can confirm everything everyone says above is true - nine days later and I feel right as rain.

Believe me you will feel better by Friday or Saturday at the latest.

Take care
Vicky:)

I've had a few major tummy ops, I swear by peppermint, if you go to boots chemist, and ask for peppermint liquid that you put into warm water they will give you some. An old nurse in hospital gave me it and I always make sure to stock up before an op. Hope you feel better soon.

Bunny x

Back