• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

my gastric bypass diary...

mermaid2708

new year...new me!x
Wednesday
Didnt get the early night i had planned...i think nerves stopped me packing my case until quite late so it was nearly 2am before i dropped off. My alarm woke me at 4.45am and i made my bed ready for my mum (who is stopping with my son). I had a good strip wash and got dressed in my new 'chav tracksuit'! My son woke up to see me off, we had a lovely big cuddle and my taxi arrived at 6am. The journey to the hospital was a bit stressful as the driver could not find the place! I arrived at 7.45am and was met by the co-ordinator who weighed me...i had made it, i needed to be 266lbs but was infact 264lbs on their scales, and i was not going to argue!!! Then i was shown to my room. I just had time to change into my lovely theatre gown before i was visited by the dr who took bloods, the anesthatist and my surgeon, mr. welbourn. I walked up to theatre about 9.30am and before i knew it it was about 4pm and i was back in my room! Apparently i spent a little longer than expected in recovery as i was feeling quite sick...but i dont remember! I was awake for a large part of the night as i was under hourly 'ob's' and could not get comfy but luckily i had film4 in my room and my fave film trainspotting was showing, so that was a bonus!

Thursday
Didnt feel great this morning, had a lovely much needed wash though. I could not manage water without retching and although not in any real pain, i had a real feeling of being 'run over'. A diclofenic suppository and i.v paracetamol soon sorted me out. I managed some peppermint water which made me burp alot helping to aleviate my trapped wind. I had a sleep from 1 til 3pm then i had some visitors which was thoughtful and much appreciated as i am quite far from home. I am relying on my mobile for keeping intouch with friends and family and will end up with RSI of the thumb at this rate! I have been drinking small amounts of hot water as i find it easier than cold and around tea time i had a few teaspoons of sugar free jelly. Settled to sleep about midnight.

Friday
Woke at around 3am and thought 'oh no' im gonna be laid here for ever...but the next thing i knew it was 6am so had obviously fallen back to sleep. Had half a lovely cup of tea then had a nice shower and got dressed...felt alot more human. Did my own heperin injection this morning and took my 'calpol' no problem. Wandered the corridors like a lost soul for about half an hour then the bariatric nurse came to see me and we had a long chat about what to expect over the next few weeks, what to eat, bowl movements etc! Then a lovely lady from BOSPA named Kathy came to see me. She had her surgery this time last year and looked great. I was interesting to see her before photo's and hear her story. She gave me her details and wants to keep intouch. For lunch i managed 3 spoons of jelly, then i had a couple hours sleep on the bed. I am suprised how tired i am doing nothing much. I continue to go for short walks around the ward and corridors every hour or so and am looking forward to going home tomorrow.

Saturday
home today. My brother came to collect me at 10am and we drove to his house. i went up to the loo...the stairs took me by suprise and i had to do some deep breathing! My mum turned up to drive me the rest of the way home with my son...it was so lovely to see them both and we had a huge cuddle session! Back at home i was pottering around and mum told me to stop and sit down! my dog didnt really know what to do, but i think she knew i was tender so just sat calmly instead of the normal bouncing up to greet me. i spent the afternoon on the sofa with a blanket, the cat and laptop! i had a wander around the house and had some jelly. went to bed about 11pm and slept on and off til 9am this morning.

Sunday
i have spent the morning pottering and resting...it amazes me how much just typing this is tiring me out! i did my heperin injection, had my fast tab, calpol and a few sips of tea...and im full...so its definatly working! i have no real pain but feel tight and uncomfortable. i have 5 little dressed scars with one disolvable stich under each. i am visiting the GP on tuesday to get my sick note for work and for him to look at me and weigh me...i have decided not to weigh myself at home anymore as it just stresses me out.

I will update this as and when i feel up to it, i apologise for the changes in tence but i am still a bit 'wooly headed'!:)

Last edited:
Thanks for sharing your story mermaid. So pleased you hit the goal weight, well done!

Take it easy, it's suprising how quickly you can get tired out and over do things in the early stages.

Take care,

Shel

well done glad everything is going so well for you, here's to a speedy recovery! take it easy orchid x

really pleased you made your target weight i know you worked hard for it, and take it easy i found typing mine up tiring as well, let them pamper you i am sure it ownt be long before things return to normal

So happy you are getting along so well. Take care and do take naps when you need them. Thanks for sharing your story. You should be really proud that you got to your goal weight in time!:D:D:D

thanks for sharing mermaid. It all seems to have gone very well.

You sound like you're doing fab mermaid! Take good care of yourself xx

Thanks for sharing your story hun, and hope you recover asap:D:D

Monday
i slept reasonably well last night. son was back at 6th form today so had a couple hours on my own this morning which was quite nice. my friend came to see me at about 11 for an hour then i felt like i was going stir-crazy so my mum took me to morrisons, we were there about an hour or so and it completly wiped me out! going to chill out this evening and watch the second part of hunter on bbc1. as far as food goes, i have had nothing, just half cup normal tea and half cup of peppermint tea (for trapped wind relief!)...is this normal? i just dont want anything at all. also had my first post op 'poo' (!) this morning, small but perfectly formed!!!x

its not weird but you do need to drink fluids or you will become dehydrated, at least 2 litres per day, plus some other for of nutrients thats why mine say to take the protien shakes from the begining. This will help build you metabolism back up. It is likely you will not feel hungery for some months

Yep, you need to get some nutrition in you. This is the way it will be now for a fair while, you have to get your head around eating to live not eating for pleasure x

i have had 4 tablespoons of organic chicken, veg and barley soup blitzed so no lumps...i feel so much better now, i think i was almost afraid to eat, but now i have and have had no pain from it i am happier. eventhough my stomach was making some terrific sounds...like a cement mixer!!! i have also bought some peppermint tea bags to help with the trapped wind and keep up the fluid intake...i find hot drinks so much easier than cold.

Good girl - gotta keep your strength up!!

Hi hun. Sounds like things are right on track for you. I also found, still do, that it is easier to drink warm fluids. I find that I drink twice as much over the span of an hour if it is warm liquids. Keep up your nutrition, particularly your protein as that is what your body needs to heal. I healed really fast and I am sure it is down to my high protein diet!

Take care,
N:D

well done, glad ur home and safe. Look after urself and take advantage of the rest, cos once ur energy levels are up there'll be no stopping you x x x

oh dear mermaid. that doesnt sound too pleasant.

As charliegirl said, dont rush things. I was under the impression that it should be clear fluids for first few weeks (but im not post op so havent been advised by my own surgeon as yet)

Back