• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Surgical stockings & metal staples

Tamgredan

wanna be happy!
Hi All,

Oh what a lovely day.

I just wanted to ask how long do i have to keep these stockings on for? is it 10 days? my legs are on fire in this weather.

Also, ive had metal staples in to seal my wounds, and have to go for them taken out on Friday. Does this hurt?

The hospital also gave me a fresh set of plasters for dressing the wounds and would like to put these clean ones on tomorrow. Will my practice nurse put some clean ones on for me also?

You know me, i have to ask!

Sarah Metcalf

I had to keep the socks on for 6 weeks, but only managed 5!! However, from what I've read most people don't have to keep them on that long.

I was dreading getting my staples taken out but it didn't hurt a bit.

I changed my dressings after a couple of days.

How are you feeling? xx

Tamgredan

wanna be happy!
Thanks Sarah, im feeling good. Pain on a scale of 1 to 10 is at 1. I think im recovering really well.
Bleedin' hell 6 weeks....i better get them out of the wash then and out them back on.

BlueDiamond

I didnt have to wear mine once I left the hospital, as long as I remained mobile. I didnt have metal staples either mine was dissolvable stitches, and about 3 days after I went too the practise nurse who changed my dressings for me , and then 1 week after that I had my check up at the hosp and it was done again, and they gave me enough to change them myself afterwards. HTH - Wishing u all the best xxx

Lyndie

Hi

I had my op the day before you (lap-band). I have been told to keep my socks on for 2 weeks although I am already fed up with them so doubt that I will. I am really looking forward to tomorrow because it will be my last injection (my hubby is doing them but they really hurt).

I did not have any stiches or staples (just this invisible glue) and nor did I have any dressings so I can't help on that one.

I too am fairly pain free (except when I cough or sneeze) but being hungry is really painful and as I'm only on fluids, I am getting hungry every 2 to 3 hours so even get up in the night to have a milky drink. I hope this will be temporary because there is little point in only eating tiny quantities if I am eating 8 times a day instead of 3!

Good luck with your recovery.

Love Lyndie x

Big an Bouncy

Never wore them at all!Thank god my surgeon doesnt use them.Had Heprin for three weeks though and was mobile.No pain having staples out.

Tamgredan

wanna be happy!
Hi

I had my op the day before you (lap-band). I have been told to keep my socks on for 2 weeks although I am already fed up with them so doubt that I will. I am really looking forward to tomorrow because it will be my last injection (my hubby is doing them but they really hurt).

I did not have any stiches or staples (just this invisible glue) and nor did I have any dressings so I can't help on that one.

I too am fairly pain free (except when I cough or sneeze) but being hungry is really painful and as I'm only on fluids, I am getting hungry every 2 to 3 hours so even get up in the night to have a milky drink. I hope this will be temporary because there is little point in only eating tiny quantities if I am eating 8 times a day instead of 3!

Good luck with your recovery.

Love Lyndie x

Hi Lyndie, Its a right pain getting the hunger pains, i hate them. I had to get up last night for a milky drink too.
Yesterday i didnt eat much at all and this morning i feel lighter. Ive got to keep my fluids up - thank god its a bit cooler today, so ill hopefully get more inside me.
Thanks hun.

soon2Byummymummy!

Loves a Chat!
i think as long as your fully mobile as you were prior to the op you should be fine to leave the stockings off Tam. i recovered pretty quickly same as you was even back to looking after 2 year old and driving 4th day post op. left the stockings off after day 2. all depends how your doing how mobile you are etc.

No dressings for me either my wounds were also glued which i have to say was fab. no wound checks or problems at all. having staples removed should be relatively painless unless any are a little stuck or something (surgical nurse for 7 years) but usually its real quick and painless.
hope your wounds are healing well your doing great:)

Maura

wow, surgical stockings? are they fishnet lol? ah poor Tam, the sun shining and you're goind round all bandaged up. not even sure if i will be getting staples or stitches... dreading it either way... your recovery is going well xx

Tamgredan

wanna be happy!
Ive taken the bleedin' daft things off.....oh what a relief.

Ive booked in with my practice nurse on friday to have staples out.

Ive changed my dressing today and i must say a big well done to my surgeon as the cuts are perfect and healing extreamly well. No bruising either.

Ive more bruises on my tummy from the B12 injections!

Thanks for putting my mind at ease.

Big an Bouncy

Yes but if you had been pulled up or heaven forbid have a bump,you wouldnt have a leg to stand on.

ldavidson84

Hi All,

Oh what a lovely day.

I just wanted to ask how long do i have to keep these stockings on for? is it 10 days? my legs are on fire in this weather.

Also, ive had metal staples in to seal my wounds, and have to go for them taken out on Friday. Does this hurt?

The hospital also gave me a fresh set of plasters for dressing the wounds and would like to put these clean ones on tomorrow. Will my practice nurse put some clean ones on for me also?

You know me, i have to ask!

Hi, Sorry cant advise on stockings but i see you have taken them off anyways...hehe

I had the staples and i was petrified when going for them out but honestly some i didnt feel come out at all and some hurt a little but pain went straight after. After having the staples removed i felt so much better as they are quiet restrictive and pull when standing etc.

xxx

magicbeans

no longer obese!!
u cant drive after op??????????????????????????????????

Tamgredan

wanna be happy!
Hi MB,

Ive only ever heard of this on this forum. I drove after 5 days but to be honest, for the 1st 5 days i would not have attempted it anyway as you use a lot of stomach muscles to drive. Plus its hard to drive and change gear if you suffer with the shoulder pains.

magicbeans

no longer obese!!
thanks tam.... well might have to drive early as well. i know after a c section u cant drive but didnt know that with the band. and u use stomach muscles to drive...and yep can see what u mean about the gear changes and thepain :( hope ur shoulder is better??