• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

swimming vs cross trainer

Just wanted some opinions on which would be better for weight loss? Also which burns more fat/calories?x

it depends on your stroke - if you are going to gently spolsh about then probably the cross trainer, but if you are going to do some serious swimming then I think either option would be good. Is it possible to do half and half and that way you will utilise more muscle groups and the body won't get stuck in a rut? I used to use a stepper and plateaued - switched to swimming for a week and the weight dropped off again.... (to be fair this was a while ago) ...

also, do you have any health issues which would lean you more towards one than the other? I find the cross trainer quite tough on the joints because of the weight I carry .... just a thought

xxxx

I do Aquafit several times a week. I get there 15 mins early and so some lengths beforehand. Have done for ages.

Cross trainer does not 'agree' with me. Bike and treadmill are good. Rower depends on how bloated I'm feeling re the belly v knees aspect.

According to the personal trainers at my gym any longer than 20 minutes on cross trainer is a waste of time. They say that time would be better spent on the treadmill and interval training but that may not be possible for you - sorry don't know if you have any injuries etc.

Personally I would say swimming as long as you do actually swim. There are a lot of ladies who chat and do about 4 lengths in half an hour! Weight bearing exercise is better for people with joint issues too.

If I do a couple of swims a week, I lose weight - whether I want to or not!

I do the cross trainer if I go to the gym.

I normally do about 45 minutes on it and monitor hart rate. I burn about 380 calories according to the machine (I know this isn't always accurate)

On days I don't gym I bike to work and back again about 50 minutes.

I think you are better off alternating and not sticking to one thing, the professionals think the body gets used to the same thing.

I'd say vary your exercise. if I do only one exercise, I can get very bored, whereas if I vary my exercise routine, it keeps my body guessing. I would say both, although I have to say I prefer swimming... Maybe not both on the same day, but during the week, maybe you can do both. Hope that helps.

Cross trainer, if you push your self with most like burn more calories, as your heart rate will go higher than swimming but swimming is great for endurance and muscle toning. If you can mix it up and if you have a gym membership, interval training mixed with weights is great, especially with swimming once to twice a week too. Good luck and enjoy the endorphins :)

Back