• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Lap-Band Swimming

ktstar

I'm almost 2 weeks post op my little cuts we're glued and pretty much nearly healed, is it ok to go swimming tomorrow?

Im just trying to find the info on the times you can return, but two weeks is too early.

ETA

It can be from 2-3 weeks but wounds must be fully healed

I was told to wait six weeks for swimming - its not your wounds so much as whats in the pool :gen157:

Thank you. I normally go for a swim while my daughter has her swimming lesson but I'll pop up to the gym instead and go on the cross trainer for a bit of gentle exercise x

I added above that it can be 2-3 weeks but wounds must be totally healed.

This is from my own providers info

Gentle walking almost immediately and then gradually increase duration of daily walking up to 30 mins over the next 7-10 days. Swimming and low-intensity gym activities (not sit-ups) can be resumed 2-3 weeks after surgery, assuming wounds are fully healed.

So you should be fairly ok on a crosstrainer as long as its low intensity. You may find that it could be uncomfortable so don't overdo it. What you may find better is heading into the gym and jumping on a treadmill as walking is perfectly good at this point and doesn't put any stretch on the stomach muscles which could cause problems or slippage :)

I can't stand the treadmill :0( I did 15 mins on the cross trainer the other day. It felt ok just hard work as I'm not consuming many calories. X

take it easy tho, doing it too early can cause problems on the stitching inside where the band is stitched around the stomach . . .and avoid sit ups what ever you do or anything with ab crunches or any machine which brings that affect. I was told to avoid these initially for a minimum of 12 weeks, but then the main man at my provider advises to avoid them full stop.

Wow avoiding sit ups for the rest of my life that's tough! I will take it easy tomorrow, I've had quite a lot of hiccups whic I'm hoping aren't causing too much trouble inside.

Check with your provider, I was advised to wait 12 weeks for abdo with or without weights (other weights fine after 6 weeks).

My port wound took ages to close fully so haven't been able to go back to swimming yet.

Actually, what about the fill? is it ok to go back swimming straight after you've had the needle in or does that need to heal too? It just crossed my mind, sorry if it sounds daft!

Not daft, but there's no opening of a wound to have a fill, just a needle like an injection so there shouldn't be any problem :)

I wanted to go swimming next day after a fill and she just gave me a water proof dressing and said it will be fine x

Sent from my iPhone using WLSurgery

Hmm I only went back to the gym today and I'm 4 weeks post-op. I didn't do much though.

I certainly wouldn't risk the bugs in a public swimming pool with open wounds...

Back