• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Tearful

Nellie123

Hello everyone. I'm day 6 post op band to RNY and I feel so tearful and sore. I've also just read the sticky about how the pouch works and about the water loading and the rules that must be followed and I just want to cry. I know that weight loss is inevitable (though a part of me still believes that it won't really happen for 'me') but the thought that I will have to run my life to a clock ...and fluid loading ....etc makes my blood run cold and now I'm wondering what the hell Ive done. It feels like I've just started yet another yoyo diet. I wish I had the energy to run screaming up the road. Please help xxx

Oh Nellie sorry to hear you are so upset, a lot of what you are feeling is normal post op and known as "buyers regret".

Were you not given the information on drinking/ food and the rules you would need to follow after the op by your provider? You don't say on your details where you had your revision.

I found that after the op everything became too much, all you are concentrating on is water and fluids and protein and it does become all consuming.

However, as you start to feel better and move onto purée/more solid food it does become a little less daunting.

Yes you will have to try and get enough fluid in. Yes you will have to wait 30 min or more after drinking to eat and then wait after eating to drink, but once your life gets back to normal it isn't too bad to work that out and get a routine going.

Yes you need to be prepared when going out for the day to make sure you have something with you that you can eat and drink, but it is easy to have a cereal or protein bar and a small bottle of water in your bag.

Learning to live with these rules is what will help you work with your bypass to achieve the best results - you want this to work otherwise you wouldn't have put yourself through this.

This isn't another yo yo diet, this is now your life and how you are going to life it. We just have to adjust to a different set of rules than the ones we used to live by - but these new rules will help you to lose weight and achieve a healthier lifestyle.

I hope some of that helps - don't forget you will still be recovering from anaesthetic and a lot of healing is going on internally so you will feel under the weather for a while.

Stay positive, take one day at a time and things will improve slowly.

@Nellie123 ok just done a quick scan of the post I think you are referring to - I have never read about water loading like that - drinking as much as you can as fast as you can - I don't think anyone also has been given that advice either!!!

I would not worry about that - the important thing is to follow your provider/teams instructions and go by their guidance. Don't rush the stages post op as you need to allow healing to take place.

Why don't you start a diary on here for support and you can post what you are drinking/ eating and how you are feeling?

Hannah, thank you so so much for replying. Yes I understand that I must drink and eat according to the rules following surgery. I was referring to the sticky written by a doctor at the top of the page. It outlines why everyone puts weight back on. I read most of it but confess to becoming so despairing that I couldn't finish it. I just want to cry.

I had my surgery with Roger Ackroyd. I only have to follow the liquid only post op for two days then it's on to purée for 4 weeks. I can't stomach anything and am even struggling to drink. It isnt that it won't go down, I just don't want to. I can't explain. I just feel miserable today. Buyers regret? I've not heard of this for the surgery. Do others feel this way ?

@Nellie123 ok just done a quick scan of the post I think you are referring to - I have never read about water loading like that - drinking as much as you can as fast as you can - I don't think anyone also has been given that advice either!!!

I would not worry about that - the important thing is to follow your provider/teams instructions and go by their guidance. Don't rush the stages post op as you need to allow healing to take place.

Why don't you start a diary on here for support and you can post what you are drinking/ eating and how you are feeling

A diary is a good idea. Yes I think that would help.

The sticky is about how we are supposed to live each day if it is to be successful. All these rules were news to me and never been explained before and sound horrendous and like a new kind of diet... that I believed I was getting away from. I want to loose weight and carry on to eat healthy small meals like a normal person. That's what I thought all this pain was for.

Thank you so much for listening xxx

@Nellie123 hey sorry you're having some post op blues x if you can't stomach the purée at the moment try liquids for a little longer. 1-3 weeks is usually suggested so you won't be do anything wrong if you take your time with it. Introduce purée no later than 3 weeks. No rush just do what you feel comfortable with. It took me a while to adjust to stages but agree o wouldn't have been able to do it after day 3 it just seemed impossible. I promise it gets easier and once you're In a routine even more so. Let us know if you need anymore help xx

Most people get it at some point, some straight away, some later.

I agree with starry, if you can't stomach purée try soup, I had different fresh soups from Waitrose, tomato and red pepper was lovely! Just make sure there aren't any lumps - I either blitzed them or sieved them. For protein you can add grated cheese.

Find things you do fancy and don't worry too much about nutrient content for now. I made lamb and beef casseroles with vegetables in and blitzed those. Also cauliflower cheese or mash with cheese, made sloppy with milk.

Glad you are feeling a bit better today. The op is a big thing and there is a lot of adjusting to do, physical and mental!

Take care.

Most people get it at some point, some straight away, some later.

I agree with starry, if you can't stomach purée try soup, I had different fresh soups from Waitrose, tomato and red pepper was lovely! Just make sure there aren't any lumps - I either blitzed them or sieved them. For protein you can add grated cheese.

Find things you do fancy and don't worry too much about nutrient content for now. I made lamb and beef casseroles with vegetables in and blitzed those. Also cauliflower cheese or mash with cheese, made sloppy with milk.

Glad you are feeling a bit better today. The op is a big thing and there is a lot of adjusting to do, physical and mental!

Take care.
I really appreciate you talking to me. Thank you so much xxx

This is like riding a roller coaster. Started off feeling oki sh. I even managed about third of a potato puréed and 3 sprouts mashed with some gravy at lunch time, but nothing else today. I'm struggling to even drink now and certainly not meeting any targets. My heart is thumping in my chest and I feel panicked with the reality of ...forever....for better for worse.....cannot ever be normal again!! ...hit me like a baseball bat a while ago and I wondered what the hell I'd done and started to question my decision to have it done.

Any idea when I will start to feel better and be able to eat and drink? I know I sound like a moaning Minnie, I'm not ordinarily xxx

Hi @Nellie123 sorry you are still feeling bad. It is daunting and you feel like you will never be able to live normally again, but you will! You will need to work out what works for you and what you need to fit in with your life, as well as what bits of your life you need to change to fit in with the new you.

This is normal, but it is your new normal, not the old one! You did this because you wanted to change - can you remember all the reasons you chose to take the WLS path? What you hated, what worried you, what you looked forward to when you lost weight?

The reality is that you need to drink and eat little and often, if you don't, especially at the beginning you will struggle - it does seem endless when you are at that first stage but it does get easier with each day, you just have to get through this first stage.

You need to be sipping liquids as much as you can - you will see a lot of posts say sip sip sip and it is important that you do, you don't want to get dehydrated. Don't eat too much in one go, little and often is the key, but don't forget the gaps between eating and drinking! I had a notepad to begin with and wrote everything down. I used a 200ml glass (child's plastic beaker!) and challenged myself to finish one in a certain time and then moved onto the next one. I am not perfect and my fluid intake is not at the level it should be.

At this stage you are healing internally and need nutrients and fluid - this is your job now in these early stages and you owe it to yourself to try your best to fuel your body for all the healing.

Don't beat yourself up for not reaching your targets, just keep plodding on! You ask when you will feel better - I can't tell you, but I can tell you to keep trying and pushing the drinking and hopefully each day will be easier than the last!

Hey @Nellie123 just checking in to see how things are.

Post op blues, especially second time around are not good :hugs:

You just need to give yourself a break and focus on what your post op diet plan says. I had a sleeve (after having my band removed) but I was liquids only for two weeks. Trust me, you will feel better and soon but you need to recover and be kind to yourself xx

@Nellie123 I'm sorry you're finding it tough going. After my op I really struggled to drink much at all, it did feel like a full time job and I was sore but day on day I healed. To begin with drinking and getting fluid in was a full time job but I had 4 weeks off work and took my time to heal. I'm nearly 7 months and 7 stone out and now I manage to drink at least 3lts of fluid a day plus a good amount of protein and I fit plenty of life in each day too.

I never regretted my choice but some days were easier than others, they still are but such is life right? I can't see if you've already posted about this but have you followed the NHS or private pathway? I only ask because generally the NHS route takes a lot longer. You will eventually reach the targets your team have given you but right now it's perfectly ok to listen to and be guided by your body. Trying to force in more water or food won't work and just make you feel worse when right now you're recovering.

Back