• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Terrified of needles :-(

Mio

I've been thinking about this for a while, and after my pre-op assessment yesterday where I was poked and prodded to try and get some blood out of me it's really been on my mind.

I have a real phobia of needles, which stems from a car accident I was in when I was a teenager. At the best of times, I panic and hyper ventilate - at the worst I can actually fight against the nurses trying to inject me.

I know it sounds really silly, but I'm more scared of the injections pre- and post-op than I am of the op itself! Has anyone else had to fight with this and, if so, how did you deal with it?

I've been thinking about this for a while, and after my pre-op assessment yesterday where I was poked and prodded to try and get some blood out of me it's really been on my mind.

I have a real phobia of needles, which stems from a car accident I was in when I was a teenager. At the best of times, I panic and hyper ventilate - at the worst I can actually fight against the nurses trying to inject me.

I know it sounds really silly, but I'm more scared of the injections pre- and post-op than I am of the op itself! Has anyone else had to fight with this and, if so, how did you deal with it?

Make sure anyone coming at you with a needle knows you have a needle phobia. :fear:

Relax and try not to tense up. It really does hurt a lot more if you panic (its not the injection its the fear that makes it hurt more):smoke:

Don't look at the syringe. Look away or close your eyes. :argh:

And BREATH

If you have to have the blood thinning injection get someone you trust to do it and just hide in a cushion until they have finished.:hide:

I am also a long term needle phob but realised when I was 35 that I can't just throw myself on the floor and scream and cry.
You just look plain silly.:silly:
So I started to do breathing exercises when I have to have an injection or bloods taken and that helps a lot.
I also started telling the nurses that I was a bad needle phob and they took their time and talked to me while the were doing it.
Just saying it out loud really helps.
:psiholog:
I am also more terrified of the needles than having an op.
I'm due to see the surgeon about a tummy tuck and boob job next week .:D
Am I frightened about the ops NO! nervous yes! Am I frightened about having a canula. HELL YES!!!
I have looked at loads of photos taken by people after their ops and that didn't bother me. Until I saw a photo of someone with a canula in each hand and went very light headed :faint2: :rolleyes: :rotflmao:

Good Luck! Relax! and Breath!

I am a coplete needle-phobe where injection needles are concerned....this makes most people laugh as i am covered in piercings and tattoos :D

my one irrational fear that i know of...oh well

I walked into the room with the nurse yesterday and said “I’m not very good with this.” She said “In that it’s hard to get blood from you or you don’t like needles?”
“Both,” I replied and she looked at me… *lol* I did laugh though when she brought out a tourniquet with cartoon vampire bats on XD

I *always* close my eyes, but I also always forget to breathe – like, if I don’t breath I can stop time or something *rolls eyes*

I am also a long term needle phob but realised when I was 35 that I can't just throw myself on the floor and scream and cry.
I know! It’s not fair, is it? ;-)

I am a coplete needle-phobe where injection needles are concerned....this makes most people laugh as i am covered in piercings and tattoos :D

my one irrational fear that i know of...oh well

Haha, don't tell anyone, but me too (well, 2 tattoos and 7 piercings... :D) I think it's just when someone's trying to put something in or take something out of me... *lol* Also, I am such a wuss, seriously. My last tattoo hurt so much (on the outside of my ankle) that I almost passed out with the pain :rolleyes:

Does your provider like you to inject yourself after the op to prevent DVT? If so you could ask them for stockings instead, it'll be one less thing to stress about x

I don't think it's an either or thing. I have to inject for 28 days and wear the flippin' socks. I can tell you the socks are way more uncomfortable than the injections.
I recommend hypnotherapy for needle phobia. You will probably only need one session, two at most.
xx

I really hope I don't need to inject myself - I'd never be able to do it! I haven't been told I need to do it (I'm getting a band, if that makes a difference?)
Am going to stay with me mum after the op - can imagine her trying to do it for me XD

I don't think it's an either or thing. I have to inject for 28 days and wear the flippin' socks. I can tell you the socks are way more uncomfortable than the injections.
I recommend hypnotherapy for needle phobia. You will probably only need one session, two at most.
xx

You had to do both, bladdy heck, I thought wearing the socks for 6 weeks was bad enough, I'd of cried if I'd had to inject myself as well. x

Yup, and the flamin' things are driving me insane. I've started taking them off when I go out on the grounds that I'm moving around. It's only my intense phobia of having a DVT and embolism that keeps me wearing them. A friend died from one a few weeks ago ( not related to WL surgery) so I know how real the threat is. It also makes the job of injecting myself pretty easy, as the alternative is really something to fear.

I had to get my mum to inject me for 2 weeks after my op....first one she did she was terrified and that set me off lol but she got the hang of it after that first one :)

ig ot told when i have to have blood tests i actually make my blood pressure drop so my veins hide....my brain goes into an emotional meltdown but i try to use meditation techniques to calm myself down....guess that works on the body if not the mind in these cases haha

Back