• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

The Beginning

Willow4

Just an update from my Newbie post this morning.
I went for my first appointment to see the Consultant this afternoon, wasn't sure what to expect really, but he was very blunt with me, even asked if I had put on weight just to get the op. I was a little taken back, but said no.
They are having a meeting tomorrow, about the people they have seen, and he said someone would ring me on Thursday, to let me know what's been discussed.
I also wanted the Sleeve, but looked like everybody else I spoke to was having the Bypass.

I am on the Weight Management course, so I know I have got quite away to go, but I feel quite upset tonight, after seeing him.

Has anybody else had this, as I don't really know what to think.

Thanks Elaine

Oh my he was blunt wasnt he! I have read other posts along the same lines but people are strange and I guess he may have meet someone he suspect if doing just that
I've been lucky all ive meet have so far been great
good luck

Mine was blunt too said 'you must sit eating pasties all day' omg i was so upset but sometimes we need to hear it to kick our buts into touch :) on the day of my op my surgeon upset me again, but just figured i don't ever have to see him again............ maybe they could do with a personality bypass LOL thankfully they are skilled in other departments!!!
Push it out of ya head now, whats done is done, whats past is past, move on........... the best is yet to come x x x x

Thank you

Hi
Thank you, feeling better, and really upped my diet and exercise today.
Hoping the phone call tomorrow, will be good news.
Its sure kicked my but into touch, ha ha.

^now you've worried me Crystal - Dr Finlay is down as the surgeon I have to visit next month at Treliske. Hope he's in a better mood on my visit. ;)

My surgeon was also very blunt and not in the slightest bit sympathetic. Very much straight to the point and quite derogatory when he was looking at my stomach.

I was quite offended when I came out, and Mr was fuming when I told him the things he's said. But I soon got over it and figured he's doing me a favour, and I'll never have to see him again after this is all over, so just had to learn to grin and bear it.

I think it must be a surgeon thing? lol

^now you've worried me Crystal - Dr Finlay is down as the surgeon I have to visit next month at Treliske. Hope he's in a better mood on my visit. ;)

Oh don't worry hunni he's just blunt and very to the point but a good surgeon :) you may get to see Mr cotta who is completely the opposite........ lovely lovely lovely, everyone has a good word for him :)
On a separate note hunni , there's a few of us Cornwall lasses meeting for coffee on 19th at 3pm costa coffee nr the hospital if you fancy joining us :)
I will pm you too just in case you don't see this. x x x xx

My surgeon was also very blunt and not in the slightest bit sympathetic. Very much straight to the point and quite derogatory when he was looking at my stomach.

I was quite offended when I came out, and Mr was fuming when I told him the things he's said. But I soon got over it and figured he's doing me a favour, and I'll never have to see him again after this is all over, so just had to learn to grin and bear it.

I think it must be a surgeon thing? lol

LOL agreed :) my thoughts exactly ............... :D

I think there is a fine line between being pointing out some home truths and being disrespectful to your patients.

It sounds as if this particular surgeon has some niggling issues with how people arrive at his door.

My surgeon was very honest with me, but he was also kind, warm, funny and ultimately caring. I think some surgeons want to heal the whole of you and others see a procedure standing in front of them!

If you don't get a choice in your surgeon, then I would look at his stats and if he has a good surgical rep, be positive in the fact that his lack of humanity appears to be made up by being a skillful surgeon. Aaaaand if you are feeling brave after the op, point out what a rude pig he was.

Hi Pokey Koala
Thanks for that. Yes I have heard that hes got very good stats, and a great surgeon, but his bedside manners not very good. Wish I had known this before I went to see him, I would have been more repaired for his bluntness with me.
But its making me diet, so must have done some good. Ha Ha.
Spoke to a few people who have had the baypass with him, and they are very pleased with their op.
So if this is the case, I can put up with that, and call him a rude pig after :)

Best Wishes
Elaine

I have read the book "The Power of Habit" and in there, there are some good examples of surgeons who think they are better than everyone else, they are good at their jobs but they tend to have horrible bedside manners. An example was in one hospital up north somewhere, the nurses and admin staff would write on the whiteboard with different colours so other staff knew what kind of dr they had to deal with, for example nice doctors were written in blue, the doctors who you couldn't speak to were in red and doctors who didn't care were in blue - so it is possible that you have a red surgeon in this case. Good at his job but still thinks he is above the rest of his patients. Good luck though! Hope he has a great dinner the night before your surgery, so he is in a good mood! :)

Hi Birdie01
That make sense, I live in Doncaster he defiantly must be a Red ha ha.
I will have a read of that book, thanks for that.
Hope he had a good dinner last night, still waiting for the phone call to say "yes or no".

Best Wishes
Elaine

Hi Elaine,

The book i read which is worth reading, is Weight loss Surgery, the Real Skinny - it is fantastic and very down to earth and to the point. The Habit book is also good, and has helped me break a few habits that i didnt even realise i had! (Like needing a biscuit every time i have a cup of coffee, and how i used to think that tomorrow was a good place to make changes, but that tomorrow never actually came, now is a good time and now is when i need to start things. Anyway, dont want to babble on! LOL!

So how long has it been since your 1st Assessment?:)

Just reading these posts and I'm shocked.

My surgeon, the whole Bariatric team, my GP and any other medical professional had treated me with nothing but respect... They are honest with me and direct. But always caring, understanding and respectful.

My surgeon and the Bariatric team are of the view that Obesity is an eating disorder, just like Anorexia and the others! They wouldn't be so rude or hurtful to an anorexic person they were treating, so why an overweight person.

If anyone would have said I sat around eating pasties all day, they would have got a punch in the throat.

This journey is your own personal journey, if you want a sleeve go for it, everyone in the waiting room may be having a bypass but each persons journey is different.

Good luck with whatever you decide xx

Sent from my iPhone using WLSurgery

Hi Birdie01
My first assessment was only this Tuesday, not sure when I have to go for another appointment, to be honest I am a bit :confused:to what happens next.

Thanks for telling me about the books, just bought The Real Skinny tonight, so going to have a read in a minute.

Pleased to here your ops in the next 4 months, all the best for that.

Elaine

Hi Birdie01
Sorry just seen your mail.
I thought the book was very good, dont know about you I found it funny in parts.
But it was very informational, and I would certainly recommend it to those who have decided to go through with the surgery, so they can get down to the reality of what will be happening to them.

Yip I agree - very good indeed. I might land up reading it twice just to make sure I didn't miss anything! Glad you enjoyed it though! :D

Just an update from my Newbie post this morning.
I went for my first appointment to see the Consultant this afternoon, wasn't sure what to expect really, but he was very blunt with me, even asked if I had put on weight just to get the op. I was a little taken back, but said no.
They are having a meeting tomorrow, about the people they have seen, and he said someone would ring me on Thursday, to let me know what's been discussed.
I also wanted the Sleeve, but looked like everybody else I spoke to was having the Bypass.

I am on the Weight Management course, so I know I have got quite away to go, but I feel quite upset tonight, after seeing him.

Has anybody else had this, as I don't really know what to think.

Thanks Elaine
Hi Willow4

I've just noticed your post - mr Finlay is blunt - but he is a fab surgeon. He was a bit harsh with me in my first meeting - and his threat that he would sew me up and send me home if I cheated on the LRD - kept me on the straight and narrow. He was nice on the day though - and the team are lovely - so don't worry. Hope you can make the Cornwall meet next week. Xx

HI Chrisyd
Sorry I live in Doncaster, so will be going to Sheffield. You must know, hoping to
move to Cornwall in the next four years. :D

Hope you enjoy your meet up on Tuesday, have a coffee for me.

Elaine

Back