• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

The dilemma of whether or not to gain weight (bmi just under for automatic funding)

yorkiegal

Baxter's mum
The bariatric team have now placed me with one of the surgeons and I am having all the required tests to see if I have a co morbidity. However, they haven't applied for funding yet and I'm not due to see them again for another 3 months. My dilemma is that my local pct give automatic funding for a bmi of 50 or over. Mine is now 49.7, having gone up slightly since my first appointment when it was 49.19.
The nurse has hinted that he fully expects me to have gained weight by the next time I see him so I'm not to get bogged down worrying about the criteria. However, the cbt therapy I've been having is having good results and I'm eating much more healthily now. I also have a puppy and am out exercising him 3 times per day. I don't see how I could possibly not lose weight over the next three months unless I really over eat and I don't have the appetite to do that anymore.

Short of putting weights in my pockets at my next appt what do I do? It's such a contradiction. To want to lose weight but to know it will stop me having the operation. I don't feel that I could lose all my excess weight without the op.

Gosh that is a tough one... a guy I met on friday in Chichester put on half a stone just so he would be over the 50 bmi & then he got his funding!

I can't imagine how frustrating it must be to be so close yet so far away!!

Good luck with whatever you decide. xxx

Ooh heck that's a tough one!

Good luck with whatever you decide xx

water load. your only talking about a couple of lbs surely?
So drink heaps of water the day before your appointment, and on the day, it weighs plenty and wear heavy clothing. other than that you only have the two options... i hope you make the right decision for you :)

,x,

i agree with bypassbee.
good luck what ever you do.

It is a toughie is'nt it. Could you not tell them that you have been above 50 with your bmi but are trying to get a little healthier incase they decide to operate on you?? Surely this should go in favour for you if you are showing commitment. Good luck in whatever you decide to do xxx

I think I might be tempted to wear heavier clothing or have something heavy in your pocket (keys, purse full of change etc?) when you have your weigh in. I'm not sure about trying to put on more weight by eating more, especially if you're now in the mind set of losing it.

I don't like encouraging people to lie but could you perhaps say you were heavier than you are now during those 3mths between appts and that you've been making an effort to lose the extra weight you've put on?

It would be awful if they refused funding on the basis on being 0.3 off the target BMI. Something that's just crossed my mind, maybe the nurse was hinting not to worry as he/she is going to mark you down as BMI 50 anyway? Wouldn't that be great if they did! :)

Have they measured your height yet? You could always stoop down a little if they haven't, that would put your BMI over. Or as others have said, wear heavy clothing. I wouldn't go for gaining weight as they will probably expect you to loose some before surgery anyway. If your also having CBT to help you loose weight, all this should go in your favour to demonstrate that you are committed to your health.

Good luck with what ever you decide x

Be very careful, some PCT's will flat out refuse funding if they think you've gained weight on purpose in order to be within the criteria.

lol thanks for the replies everyone. This funding issue does force us to be a little devious doesn't it? I already bent my knees a little when they measured my height so that one is out. I think it will have to be the keys in the pocket and several layers of clothing. I was wearing a thin summer dress last time. It would be fantastic if the nurse had rounded up my bmi to 50 though so fingers crossed that's what has happened. Thanks for the tip about drinking lots of water too. I'll make sure to do that.

I have to admit that if I was that close to the BMI for surgery I would want to put on the extra little bit.

It can't be much a lb or 2 - I would drink loads before I went in and not have a wee and think about clothes and whether you weigh with or without your shoes!!

May not be popular thought and I do have the benefit of WLS hindsight but I know I would want to break the BMI target

And you have shown commitment through the CBT

Just my two pennorth

Angela xx

Back