• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

The GOOD The BAD and The UGLY

I agree with Karlos - if I had my time again I'd not get super morbidly obese.

However hindsight always has 20:20 vision!!

I have no regrets though it's not always an easy ride - just wish I could have had the op 10 years ago before the arthritis got so bad

xxx

thank you angela, shame you developed arthritis before you had your surgery... is your pain any better though afterwards? i am an orthpaedic nurse, i was just curious.........

In a way yes and in a way no!!

I injured my back in 83 lifting patients and have OA from neck to bum - and this does play up - mostly when I least expect it!!

And from bone-on-bone arthritis in my knees I have had knee replacements - but these are still very painful - and I still use my sticks on occassion.

Unfortunately WLS doesn't alter the damage already done to the joints :(

At least I can stand up without my spine threatening to break in 2 now!!!

xxx

wow angela sounds like you really have been through everything! its a shame cartilage doesnt grow back!! thank you x

Angela I have arthritis too, all the weight bearing joints! I have found mine has gone worse since surgery and the bariatric nurse told me this is quite common.....I dont understand why that would be. Could it be through hormones do you think? XX

If I could turn back time I would have had the surgery much earlier as I am so much happier and healthier since my op last year. I would love to say that if I turned back the clock I would never have got fat but as a useless individual with a total lack of willpower that would be a vain hope!

However with my bypass as my wl tool I intend to stay slim for the rest of my life - just wish that had been from when I was forty rather than when I was fifty!! xxx

Hi Shannon.

I had my bypass at SRH and am one of the unlucky few who've had a very rocky road.
I had a perforated bowel at 8 weeks post-op , as a nurse you will understand how serious that was: Mssrs Schroeder and Balapuri looked after me extremely well and got me through.
More recently I've had sporadic but severe pain which has been investigated. It looks like adhesions are the most probable culprit ad we're all hoping they will settle spontaneously as I continue to lose weight.

I've now lost 5 stones 3 pounds since surgery in August.

Would I do it again? Well other than Karlos' point about not getting morbidly obese in the first place.....

YES, YES, YES, YES !!!!!!!!!!!

I Love my bypass, it has enabled me t take control of my eating and I'm beginning to feel like a new woman in so many ways.

I have no regrets at all, despite the difficulties.

They say, 'No pain, no gain' and that is so true in my case!

i would have my op done again in a heartbeat, my weight got out of control when i became more immobile, i wish i could have ha d it done 10 yrs earlier, i love my bypass.
dotty i too have been in more pain since ive lost my weight, my spine is really bad now, and i get more knee and ankle pain too, weird aint it, would still have it done though, no regrets.

isnt it funny how in some people, their OA has gotten worse although there is less weight bearing down on their joints............ i know that cartilage doesnt grow back ..unfortunately, but however with less weight i just had this idea that it would be less painful...maybe i should invent some sort of cartilage regrowth drug!!

and to be honest, if i was to turn back the hands of time..... i would.... i would have gone for the bypass sooner as i do regret all trouble i have had with the band, twice over. I know with the bypass, it might be a rocky road, but after reading everyone elses stories i know that in the end it will be worth it! thank you xx

isnt it funny how in some people, their OA has gotten worse although there is less weight bearing down on their joints............ i know that cartilage doesnt grow back ..unfortunately, but however with less weight i just had this idea that it would be less painful...maybe i should invent some sort of cartilage regrowth drug!!

and to be honest, if i was to turn back the hands of time..... i would.... i would have gone for the bypass sooner as i do regret all trouble i have had with the band, twice over. I know with the bypass, it might be a rocky road, but after reading everyone elses stories i know that in the end it will be worth it! thank you xx

Its often a trauma such as that of the operation that causes arthritis to flare up post op, but the main reason mine has been worse is of course because i can no longer take the stomach damaging anti inflammatory drugs anymore.

My knees were so much worse for a year I would have readily had the operation reversed so I could take the medication again, it sort of settled down a bit but they still hurt more now than they did

OMG i hope my arthritis doesn't get any worse. Mine is in my toe joints, my knees and my shoulders and wrists. I take a magic pill for it but my surgeon says I could take anti ulcer meds and carry on taking the arthritis pills.
Lets hope so.
Perhaps the joints hurt more the more active you become and the more use they are getting.
Lynne x

Back