• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

The Long Haul

Neen

WLS Moderator
Sometimes I feel like most of the people on here are on a fast track to goal, my current weight is more than some people's starting weight.. what I'm trying to say is, who else is in for a long haul to goal like me?
How are you coping with the weight taking a long time to go? Wether post op or pre op, how shall we keep ourselves going ?
I find it quite hard that I have lost a load of weight already but still feel like a very big person and that my life has not changed how I hoped yet.
Also I feel post op it's not as easy as I secretly hoped and I seem to be doing poorly compared to others. Just wondered if us long haulers could band together and help each other get to the end :)

Neen, 6 and a half stone in a year is absolutly brilliant!

I'll be really pleased if I do as well as you have!

Just think how much healthier you must be now compared to last year & you can't lose 6 stone without looking a hell of a lot better for it!

It's taken a lifetime to put the weight on, a couple of years to lose it can't be that bad can it?

Good things come to those who wait. You're doing really well.

Just keep up the good work!

Rob
x

Sometimes I feel like most of the people on here are on a fast track to goal, my current weight is more than some people's starting weight.. what I'm trying to say is, who else is in for a long haul to goal like me?
How are you coping with the weight taking a long time to go? Wether post op or pre op, how shall we keep ourselves going ?
I find it quite hard that I have lost a load of weight already but still feel like a very big person and that my life has not changed how I hoped yet.
Also I feel post op it's not as easy as I secretly hoped and I seem to be doing poorly compared to others. Just wondered if us long haulers could band together and help each other get to the end :)

Hi Neen

Firstly well done on an amazing weight loss so far. You should be very proud of yourself.

Gastric bypass has rapid results in the first 6 months so if your comparing your loss to those who had a bypass then thats unfair on you.

You chose the WLS that was less invasive on the body and dont have the risks or malnutrition etc.

Slower weightloss isn't always a bad thing. Your doing so so well. Try to stay positive. You will get there, and the rewards will be high.

I cant really be of much help, I havent got as far as a date for my op. But everyone tells us to look forward, how different life will be, but I think sometimes that can be daunting. Why not look back and see how far you have come? You were strong to have the surgery in the first place and you are losing weight. I know it must be tough to read about everyone losing weight so quickly, but I bet you are not alone. There will be others in the same situation as you who will share and support you. I wish you all the luck in the world, you will get there.

Neen, I hear what you are saying and can see the logic in it. You are right, your journey is different then some but you have loads to be proud of. Give yourself a big old pat on the back, I'll wait here...

Okay so here is what I would suggest you do, first find others like yourself, you can check that off as starting this thread should help with that. Next I would suggest you make yourself a long list of small goals that you can celebrated as you go along. Be creative, make them even silly if you like. Perhaps something like, being able to get off the floor without help or having an inch extra space in your favourite chair or not being choked by your seatbelt in the car or being able to tie your shoes without having to sit down, etc...Then also set some activity goals like chase the baby around the living room or played fetch with dog for 10 minutes. Use your imagination to develop a list that will highlight the little victories that the wls journey brings, the tiny wins are really the sweetest anyway.

Best of luck and keep the faith, you have many more miles to go but you don't go alone and when a journey is shared it always seems faster!

Nic:D

i totally understand what you mean but everyones journey is so different, when i was banded i was 25+ st and in a year im now done to 18 and feel like iv had a whole new lease of life but i also know i have another year to get to my goal , i see people being banded/bypass at the weight im at now and wonder why because i feel great at this weight [not a knock at anyone] but probably because my weight was so high i feel great not carrying so much where as they are struggling at this weight , it all fascinates me but being banded i have accepted my journey will be alot longer than thise bypassed it a longer process

Thanks so much for the replies folks, I didn't mean to come across as ungrateful for having the surgery or anything like that. I really appreciate the kind words and Nic some great ideas on how to measure progress, thanks hun.
Rob thanks, I know it's a lot of weight..I think partly I equate success with speed! I'm panicking because it can't go fast enough for me! I have no doubts you'll be at your goal in no time at all :)
Strawberry, thanks, I know I have worried that I should have had a bypass and it plays on my mind a lot that maybe I got it wrong and thus ruined my chances of getting all the way down. I think I did what was right at the time for me but am just having wobbly moments because I'm nearing the slimmest I've been in 12 years.

Dawn thanks lovey, I must sound very silly to you in that I am moaning after surgery, I'm sorry to come across like that when you and others are still waiting to hear about your surgery. Thankyou for what you said , that is totally the right way to view things and I hope that you get your opportunity for surgery very soon, you certainly have the right mindset to succeed.

Serenity thanks hun, You and me have similar start weights etc and the difference is really your positive attitude, I keep forgetting that I have come a long way and although not as fast as some, it's still staying off and I'm losing about 2lbs most weeks which I guess is better in the long run anyway.
I'm sorry to whinge! I think the main problem is not trusting myself to keep going, as I mentioned before, I have not been lighter than my current weight for over 12 years and it's the fear of the unknown almost, plus the fact that in previous years, this would be as thin as I could get before I stopped and gained everything back again. It's a fear of history repeating itself and I guess only plodding onwards is going to cure me of that.
Big hugs to all of you for your support, sometimes it really helps to just get it out there in words, I don't make many threads but I'm grateful for the advice that comes out when I do, I just wish I had real friends like you guys xxx

Hiya Neen, sorry to hear you're doubting yourself me ole mucca. :( I'm not so good at suggesting what to do as I haven't been through the whole surgery and weightloss thing yet, but as you are always the first person to offer me so much support when I need it the least I can do is repay the favour. So, for you Neen, here are some giant hugs :hug99::hug99::hug99: :gen126::gen126::gen126:, some cheery uppy vibes :vibes: and a naughty glass of whatever your fav tipple is :party0036:thrown in for good measure! Hic! :party0011:

Chin up lovey,
Cuppa xxx

Thank you Cuppa! You're a sweetheart:) I think having had flu for a week and feeling like a slug on valium has not helped matters with me. I still feel pretty horrible and a bit spacey and like I said to the others, I feel scared that this is all I get for weight loss. It is pretty much just the absolute fear that somehow some way I will mess up and the surgery will have failed me because I can be quite defeatest about myself. It's weird because if I was talking to someone else in a similar situation I would be trying to show them the positive side! I think I probably need a kick up the bum or something! However a large glass of baileys does sound pretty fabulous and of course will be medicinal :) For the throat cough cough. Thanks again and take no notice , I have a public wobble now and then and then go back under my rock and get on with my 2lbs a week like a good girl xx

Neen, you need to start having some faith in yourself my love because we all have faith in you xx You ARE doing it and you will carry on doing it, because you are strong and determined. I know you have been poorly and that is bound to make you feel crap, also when you have stop the exercising it is SO hard to get back on it. But give it time and start believing in yourself again.

2lbs a week is over 7 stone in a year btw. Even 1lb a week is still almost 4 stone. ;)

Here, have a special glass of Cuppa's magical sugar free fat free guilt free Baileys, on ice. :7834: And I'll join you :7834: Cheers!

Cuppa xx

Cheers girlie :) I think I have been brainwashing myself watching people lose 5lb or more every week on the Biggest Loser. It's probably not the best comparison as I haven't been throwing myself round a gym 10 hours a day like they do. I just get all excited and over eager to succeed. Omg the times I have tried to fast track everything and lose weight speedily only to find that trying to do it all the fast way ends up with me setting myself up to fail every time. My long term track record is pretty pants (hence the op in the first place) I just hope that I can keep going and be able to look back on this bit from a slimmer place in the future...and hopefully be of help to anyone else who is having similar difficulties.
hugs:)

Dawn thanks lovey, I must sound very silly to you in that I am moaning after surgery, I'm sorry to come across like that when you and others are still waiting to hear about your surgery. Thankyou for what you said , that is totally the right way to view things and I hope that you get your opportunity for surgery very soon, you certainly have the right mindset to succeed.

Serenity thanks hun, You and me have similar start weights etc and the difference is really your positive attitude, I keep forgetting that I have come a long way and although not as fast as some, it's still staying off and I'm losing about 2lbs most weeks which I guess is better in the long run anyway.
I'm sorry to whinge! I think the main problem is not trusting myself to keep going, as I mentioned before, I have not been lighter than my current weight for over 12 years and it's the fear of the unknown almost, plus the fact that in previous years, this would be as thin as I could get before I stopped and gained everything back again. It's a fear of history repeating itself and I guess only plodding onwards is going to cure me of that.
Big hugs to all of you for your support, sometimes it really helps to just get it out there in words, I don't make many threads but I'm grateful for the advice that comes out when I do, I just wish I had real friends like you guys xxx

im feeling all those things to hun my weight hasnt been this low in about 16yrs and last month i had a bad wobble and if im honest was probably going back to bad habbits because i was stressed and rsorted to good old comfort food he way i look on it now is if dont loose that week i dont[and i dont every week] as long as i dont gain im happy, i have noticed tho that it gets harder as the weeks go on but i still dont regret not having a bypass althugh it would have been the right choice on paper for me , the statistic show 5yrs post op the results between band and bypass are the same so although no short term fix in the bigger game it all levels out. feel free to msg anytime you need a natter x

It's weird isn't it Serenity? I mean I have not gained any back, I gained a couple temporarily the other week but that was to do with PMT etc. I did lose those two plus two extra the weigh in after. I think if I can hold it together for this next stone then I might start believing that I really am doing it now. You are so right, as long as we don't gain we're going to be OK. It's hard when you're an instant gratification kind of girl like me! I have wasted so much time and faffed about for so long , I just can hardly stand to have the wodge on me a moment longer than is absolutely necessary , yet at the same time I know darn well that I can't say hand on heart that I'm doing absolutely everything humanly possible to shift it every single day. Typically I want the fabby results for minimum effort. I guess I have to realise I can't have it both ways. :(
AsI get smaller it has become easier to exercise and that has speeded things up for me a lot so as much as I like a good whinge I know if I want to lose more each week , I need to work really hard and even then it's no guarantee.
You know how it is, sometimes you just need to get the frustration bit off your chest !
Thanks lovey for your encouragement. xx

Neen i'm a bypasser and am in it for the long haul too hun:DI am not even half way yet, and only lose 2-3 lbs a week most weeks.Am hoping swimming will help budge the weight a bit too though:D
You are doing so well, so stay positive hun x;)

Hey neen
I'm Nadine i weigh 27 stone sometimes a bit more sometimes a bit less.
I'm currently awaiting surgery and will need to loose around 15 stone.
Dont get yourself down i am sure you look totaly amazing and like the other guys have said 6 and a half stone in less than a year god sounds like a dream come true.
keep on it will soon be over and you will be able to do all the things you want to.
xx lotsabeefy xx:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

Hey Candie, thank you for your reply sweetie :) It is quite hard realising I'm not half way yet , not quite anyway...and I still have the majority of my weight to shift, I do have days when I don't feel I've really got going yet. I hope that we both can keep pushing away at it. I think I'm just one of lifes worriers and I should not allow my doubts to mess things up , one of my huge fears is self sabotage but having had the band , hopefully that isn't such a big problem this time round! You're doing fab and I know you can get all the way to your goal :D

Nadine, hi love and thanks for your reply as well. Don't take any notice of my nonsense, main problem I have is just pure impatience! I have around 10 stone still left to go to get to where I feel I need to be for a healthy weight and BMI (I'm such a shortarse) I'm sorry to whinge , I should be grateful for having gotten this far. I honestly am. The problem with the op is it doesn't change your head, and if you can get that right, get that positive attitude in there straight away, then you're definately going to succeed. I hope that helps you because I feel you are one of those positive people that will have fantastic success no matter how many stones you want to shift . Big hugs xxxxx

Neen I just wanted say really well done on your fab loss so far. Your doing great and deserve to feel really proud.
I am impatient too and my start weight was 23st 4lbs. With each week i lose regardless ifs its 1lb or 3lb im thrilled as im never going to get back to where i started. Try not to look at the whole amount and break it down to bitesize pieces as i find that helps. my goals go from under the next stone to half stone loss then a stone and so on. This motivates and i also keep a diary and record how i feel at these times.
You will get to where you want to be eventually and the wait will all have been worthwhile.
I had a difficult week last week and was back to my old habits but this week im totally focused again. best of luck and carry on the fabulous work.

Hi Neen as the others have said you have done really well so far and you know your in it for the long haul which is very sensible.

I have a friend who weighs in currently at around the 470lb mark, i went to visit her the other week. She is trying to lose the weight herself, she has her fitness routine set up indoors and is doing well at getting more mobile. She complained the other day she'd only lost half a stone in two weeks, one of those weeks with a five lb loss. I told her to stop looking at the scales but to look at the results. In three years i have never seen my friend rise from her sofa without someone 'hauling' her up. She wanted to change chairs with me (i was sat on one of her dining chairs, she was on the sofa), without even thinking she was up and out the chair with no help and as quick as a flash. I am amazed at that simple change in her. Do you have friends/loved ones who you can ask what changes they have noticed in you? Maybe not even weight related but fitness or even just happiness levels?

Well done again, keep strong and positive, your time is here xxx

Hi Neen, I'm a Longhauler too. Like you and a few others, I had a high starting weight for the band - and as others have said, I'm down to the weight where a lot of people actually start from.

I lost the first half quite quickly but the second half is going slowly which makes me feel that "why am I bothering" thing and consider to go to the shop and buy several bars of chocolate ( I've not had choc for 7 months). But that's the mentality that the band is helping me to grow out of. And doubtless all of us in our own ways ( added with a big dollop of will-power).

My dog fell ill today, and after realising that the bill is likely to be very high, plus obviously worried about my doggie baby, I marched around to the shop (5 doors down) and bought Haagen Daaz and doritos. Managed one spoonful of the former and 10 of the latter. But it's that head thing that we are leaving behind gradually and we are instead feeling more confident and physically fitter. But then like you I get periods when I just feel that I'm still very overweight and I feel discouraged.

Please feel free to PM me if you want to talk to another "Long-hauler" - although I wouldn't want you to be feeling frustrated I have to say I'm quite glad that there are others in my position (selfish I know). I think Tinky is right about little goals, it is however difficult sometimes not to think "I want to be a size 12 NOW" x

Back