• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

THE SLEEVE

Heidi C

hello everyone
i guess i am joining the weightloss surgery clan.......I have just paid my deposit and i am super excited about having the gastric sleeve. Im sure its for all the reasons that everyone else has chosen to have their surgery done. Am i nervous? HELL YES. I am having my sleeve done in prague and it will be the first time i am having an operation without my husband there. It will be strange to not hear him say "see you when you wake up" and having all the nurses giggle because he paces up and down until he sees me coming out of recovery. im also nervous about the big changes that are going to take place and how it will effect everyone around me. i ask myself, "am i being selfish?", "is it right to be spending my hard earned money on me and me alone?" ...............oh so many questions.
i would love to know what products/brands you bought to get you through the first few stages. what "clear liquids" were you having, what clear soups how did you get the protein in, the vitamins? did you find a liquid multi vitamin, hair loss is a worry.
has anyone else been abroad for surgery? would love to hear from you all
have a super awesome day xxxx

Hi and welcome

I can't answer many of your questions, mine was bypass on the NHS. Well done on making the decision to go abroad for your surgery. I don't think you're being selfish, it isn't an easy option by any chance. Also, you've probably dieted, gained and dieted again and maybe you feel, like I did, that surgery is the last option.

I had NHS advice and every provider differs. For my first 2 weeks I was on liquids only - I bought some protein powder, but didn't like them much, so concentrated on soups, which a friend made for me. Mine didn't have to be clear, so she made things like pea and ham and tomato, and added extra lentils for protein and blitzed the lot so it was liquid.. I drank lacto-free milk (I'm lactose intolerant) and my dietitian said that yoghurt and sugar free jelly all count as liquids - but listen to your provider, as they all say different things.

From the day after surgery I was taking tablets (eg paracetamol) and a few weeks later I got an appointment with my GP after the dietitian had written - I take forceval (multi vitamin), ferrous sulphate (iron) folic acid and calcichew.

I'm 3.5 months out and I'm noticing that my hair is coming out more than it was before. I'm not unduly worried...yet...because I've been waiting for it to happen. I don't take anything for it, I've read conflicting things, so I've not bothered - it's bad enough remembering the medication I take already!

Hi and welcome

I can't answer many of your questions, mine was bypass on the NHS. Well done on making the decision to go abroad for your surgery. I don't think you're being selfish, it isn't an easy option by any chance. Also, you've probably dieted, gained and dieted again and maybe you feel, like I did, that surgery is the last option.

I had NHS advice and every provider differs. For my first 2 weeks I was on liquids only - I bought some protein powder, but didn't like them much, so concentrated on soups, which a friend made for me. Mine didn't have to be clear, so she made things like pea and ham and tomato, and added extra lentils for protein and blitzed the lot so it was liquid.. I drank lacto-free milk (I'm lactose intolerant) and my dietitian said that yoghurt and sugar free jelly all count as liquids - but listen to your provider, as they all say different things.

From the day after surgery I was taking tablets (eg paracetamol) and a few weeks later I got an appointment with my GP after the dietitian had written - I take forceval (multi vitamin), ferrous sulphate (iron) folic acid and calcichew.

I'm 3.5 months out and I'm noticing that my hair is coming out more than it was before. I'm not unduly worried...yet...because I've been waiting for it to happen. I don't take anything for it, I've read conflicting things, so I've not bothered - it's bad enough remembering the medication I take already!

Hi,
Thanks for that. Is it rude to ask for some stats?
I can use all the encouragement I can get.
I'm going to need to find some good vitamins and make sure I have all my basis covered.
Did you drink any slimfast shakes etc
What is your diet like now?
Hx

Good luck with everything Heidi.

I'm just over 2 years post sleeve. Thinking back to my op, the only thing I can say is that every day after the op is easier than the previous one.
I think initially I lived on slim fast pre-made shakes, Weight watchers tomato soup and no added sugar squash. Once you're on to purée, so long as you've got a good mixer, you can really get that protein down you. Oh and don't forget high protein yogurts.

I'm just over 2 years post sleeve. Thinking back to my op, the only thing I can say is that every day after the op is easier than the previous one.
I think initially I lived on slim fast pre-made shakes, Weight watchers tomato soup and no added sugar squash. Once you're on to purée, so long as you've got a good mixer, you can really get that protein down you. Oh and don't forget high protein yogurts.

Thank you so much bear! Can you let me know the name of some high protein yogurts you got. Was it weight watchers soup in a can or packet?
Thinking of stocking up on quite a few things
Hx

Hi,
I'm going to need to find some good vitamins and make sure I have all my basis covered.
Hx

My stats are in the side <<<

I don't drink slimfast now - I can't stand the taste - they're too sweet

I eat out of a ramekin and have things like liver and gravy, chicken and gravy or minced beef in a tomato based sauce. I sometimes put a couple of croquets of mashed pot (the frozen ones you can get in the supermarkets) on top.

For breakfast I was eating egg, but I can't tolerate them at the moment, so been having GF crackerbread with philadelphia or pate. Lunch I often have friends home made soup and some fruit or a kids fromage frais. I snack on babybel light, fruit or nuts when I'm hungry

I don't like water much now; I used to drink loads, but I drink NAS squash

If you are on your phone turn it landscape and you will see people's stats and signatures.

Important to check these to see what op people have had so you know if their comments/advice / food are applicable to you. Also private/NHS makes a difference too.

Not everyone fills the info in on their details which isn't helpful.

@Heidi C "arla" do high protein yoghurts. Have a look when you go food shopping I used to spend ages in my first few weeks checking which had the highest protein. They also do high protein cottage cheese too as well as some shakes. Like @Hannah2 said turn your phone side ways to see stats or click on their persons profile picture and a box appears with their stats if they've filled them in.

@Heidi C "arla" do high protein yoghurts. Have a look when you go food shopping I used to spend ages in my first few weeks checking which had the highest protein. They also do high protein cottage cheese too as well as some shakes. Like @Hannah2 said turn your phone side ways to see stats or click on their persons profile picture and a box appears with their stats if they've filled them in.

OMG have just seen that you have lost 11st! And in so few months. Well done, such inspiration- thank you

Hello and welcome.

I can't answer lots of your questions as I had a bypass and my provider had very different stages to yours post op, for example, I was on puree for a month two days post op.

Vitamin wise, I take centrum chewables, they have everything my provider says I need and were easy to take as you don't swallow them.

My sister had a bypass last year and had a lot of hair loss, still does in fact, but you can't really tell unless you look hard. Her dietician at the hospital told her to get mane and tail shampoo which is meant for horses, but apparently it helps. Not sure if I'll go that far, though maybe I will when it happens to me.

thanks for that. i eeekkkk at the thought of blended chicken or meat......
im happy to squish it, like mashing fish and potato together and i will have to see if and when that goes down.
looking for to a journey of learning curves. hx

Thank you so much bear! Can you let me know the name of some high protein yogurts you got. Was it weight watchers soup in a can or packet?
Thinking of stocking up on quite a few things
Hx
Heidi, I have the Danio yogs. I've tried others, but for me the Danio blueberry is my fave. 150g yogurt with 11g of protein.

Oh and initially I had the plain weight watchers tomato soup in a tin. Nutritionally defunct, but was easy on the sleeve.

Heidi, I have the Danio yogs. I've tried others, but for me the Danio blueberry is my fave. 150g yogurt with 11g of protein.

Hi bear.
Thanx for that. May I ask a personal question please, not sure if you will think I'm rude........
I see you start BMI was 31.9, where did you have the sleeve done as I could not find a surgeon in the uk who would consider it no matter what. It had to be over 40 unless I had a server medical issue like diabetes. My BMI fluctuates between 35 and 38 so I decided to go abroad and have it done.
I am so hoping I get into a healthy BMI again.

and high protein skimmed milk called Best of Both. Tastes like semi.

thanks for that. i eeekkkk at the thought of blended chicken or meat......
im happy to squish it, like mashing fish and potato together and i will have to see if and when that goes down.
looking for to a journey of learning curves. hx
Mash is stage 3 after puree. If you do it too soon and it doesn't go down you won't want to do it again!

Hi,
Hx
I had slimfast - made it up from powder and added extra milk so it wasn't too thick to begin with. I could only get the strawberry locally so got very fed up with it. Still have two tubs left!!

Hello and welcome.

I can't answer lots of your questions as I had a bypass and my provider had very different stages to yours post op, for example, I was on puree for a month two days post op.

Vitamin wise, I take centrum chewables, they have everything my provider says I need and were easy to take as you don't swallow them.

My sister had a bypass last year and had a lot of hair loss, still does in fact, but you can't really tell unless you look hard. Her dietician at the hospital told her to get mane and tail shampoo which is meant for horses, but apparently it helps. Not sure if I'll go that far, though maybe I will when it happens to me.
I dread any hair loss so thought I would look up Mane and Tail and found that it is now stocked by Boots and there is an article about it http://www.independent.co.uk/life-s...ncluding-boots-urban-outfitters-a6914151.html

Mash is stage 3 after puree. If you do it too soon and it doesn't go down you won't want to do it again!

Hi Sam
Thanx for any advice as I'm doing this on my own. I'm going to Prague to have my sleeve done in two weeks. I am looking so forward to starting this journey, but I am also scared about the Unknown.
How long did you do each stage for?
I have seen that most seem to do
Clear liquids for weeks 1-2
Suck through straw liquids for weeks 3-4
Mashed smooth foods no lumps for weeks 5-6
So quite confusing as it seems you can go onto solid foods at either 3 or 6 weeks.
H

Back