• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

THE SLEEVE

I'm surprised they haven't given you a guide for it. Usually solid food should be from 6weeks earliest.

Yes I understand that. That's what I am trying to figure out. Like I said all guides state the above......hence my question.
I am going it alone so I am wanting to do as much research as I can, ask as many questions as I can, so that when I sit with my dietician, I know exactly what questions I want answered.
Can you give me some examples of what you ate at each stage, that would be really helpful. Brand names too would be grand.
Thanx Hx

Hi Sam
Thanx for any advice as I'm doing this on my own. I'm going to Prague to have my sleeve done in two weeks. I am looking so forward to starting this journey, but I am also scared about the Unknown.
How long did you do each stage for?
I have seen that most seem to do
Clear liquids for weeks 1-2
Suck through straw liquids for weeks 3-4
Mashed smooth foods no lumps for weeks 5-6
So quite confusing as it seems you can go onto solid foods at either 3 or 6 weeks.
H
I am following the Nutrition & Diet Resources, Dietary Information for Sleeve Gastrectomy booklet given to my by my NHS Team Consultant Dietitian.

Clear and protein liquids weeks 1&2
Puree 3&4 if ok with above
Mash 5&6. if ok with above
solids if ok with above

I introduced each stage gradually by one meal a day to see if it was ok - sometimes it wasn't depending on what the food was so I went back to previous stage for another day and tried again.

Avoid straws as they can cause wind, which you will have problems with anyway because of the gas used in the op, and also from acclimatising to swallowing differently.
Different teams give different advice and there seem to be major differences between private and NHS.

Suggest you ask your team.

Yes I understand that. That's what I am trying to figure out. Like I said all guides state the above......hence my question.
I am going it alone so I am wanting to do as much research as I can, ask as many questions as I can, so that when I sit with my dietician, I know exactly what questions I want answered.
Can you give me some examples of what you ate at each stage, that would be really helpful. Brand names too would be grand.
Thanx Hx
The first question I would ask is do you have a diet sheet/booklet? And then get them to go through it with you as you have so little time.

I think what everyone is tying to say Heidi is that we all get different plans for post surgery. We all get different time scales for each stage plus in my case brands were very rarely mentioned at all besides suggesting Tesco ultraslim shakes early on as they were cheaper than slim fast. Some people are told yogurts are ok from day 1, other people have to do two weeks just on fluids and yogurt isn't ok.
I understand time is short but you are paying for this surgery and surely as part of the cost you can expect them to take the time needed to talk it through with you.
My dietician rang me up a week before and emailed me a booklet that went back over all the information mentioned in various seminars and appointments along with a detailed list of the types of food and portion sizes that were ok at each point. We could all spend time typing out the information we were given but it will undoubtedly conflict in places.
Why not email them and ask for your post op information so you can prepare? It sounds very much like you feel they just do the op and then wash their hands of you. Is there no follow up care provided at all? They're going to removed a large percentage of your stomach. Surely they have a responsibility to give you everything you need to make successful use of that tool after?

The first question I would ask is do you have a diet sheet/booklet? And then get them to go through it with you as you have so little time.

Hi,
If you are referring to a standard NHS post op bariatric diet booklet, yes I have that. I have a few actually and they vary. Hence the questions.
I am having my sleeve performed in Prague so will meet their dietician too.
Thanx

Hi bear.
Thanx for that. May I ask a personal question please, not sure if you will think I'm rude........
I see you start BMI was 31.9, where did you have the sleeve done as I could not find a surgeon in the uk who would consider it no matter what. It had to be over 40 unless I had a server medical issue like diabetes. My BMI fluctuates between 35 and 38 so I decided to go abroad and have it done.
I am so hoping I get into a healthy BMI again.
Hey Heidi

Although my start bmi for my sleeve was 32, I had been well over 40 bmi at one stage. When I met with my surgeon, I gave a huge history of my weight issues from my early life onwards.
I had three consultations before I decided on my surgeon - all agreed to my operation. One was Belgium surgery services (which for my sleeve I discounted). Healthier weight agreed as did Professor Patel - who I eventually went with.
I had my op down at Kings Hospital private ward.

Please do Pm me though if you've got any questions

Please do Pm me though if you've got any questions
Thanx bear.
I'm looking forward to getting into a healthy BMI range. 24.9 would be an amazing goal to achieve.
Thank you for your replies and I will pm as soon as I figure out how to

The site does not allow private messaging anymore.

I dread any hair loss so thought I would look up Mane and Tail and found that it is now stocked by Boots and there is an article about i

Thanks for linking that article. I remember laughing with my sister when she came home and told us what the dietician had said, but she did go out and get the mane and tail, though had to go online to do so. It seems like such out there advice, but reading the article, it looks like it's not at all.

Thanks for linking that article. I remember laughing with my sister when she came home and told us what the dietician had said, but she did go out and get the mane and tail, though had to go online to do so. It seems like such out there advice, but reading the article, it looks like it's not at all.
I am going to get some as my hair is a lot drier since op and I want to ward off any hair loss if I can. Doubt my Boots will have it but there are plenty of animal feed shops near me.

I would never have connected the two either!

I think what everyone is tying to say Heidi is that we all get different plans for post surgery. We all get different time scales for each stage plus in my case brands were very rarely mentioned at all besides suggesting Tesco ultraslim shakes early on as they were cheaper than slim fast. Some people are told yogurts are ok from day 1, other people have to do two weeks just on fluids and yogurt isn't ok.
I understand time is short but you are paying for this surgery and surely as part of the cost you can expect them to take the time needed to talk it through with you.
My dietician rang me up a week before and emailed me a booklet that went back over all the information mentioned in various seminars and appointments along with a detailed list of the types of food and portion sizes that were ok at each point. We could all spend time typing out the information we were given but it will undoubtedly conflict in places.
Why not email them and ask for your post op information so you can prepare? It sounds very much like you feel they just do the op and then wash their hands of you. Is there no follow up care provided at all? They're going to removed a large percentage of your stomach. Surely they have a responsibility to give you everything you need to make successful use of that tool after?

Hey there feebee
I have appointments set up and I'm also going a day earlier and staying a couple of extra days at the hospital. They have been great. I was just concerned about all the variations but I guess you are right and each person finds their own groove
Thank you for your kind message
Hx

Back