• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Tier 3 Weight Loss Management Programme

Hi guys, iv just found this thread and im so grateful!!
I recently plucked up the courage to approach my doctor about surgury and was supprised with the positive responce, we decided to do a test for diabetes first as I was having symptoms. The results from this came back that I have prediabetes so he agreed that surgery would be good for me as my weight has onky increased over the years after many failed attempts at dieting.
He said he would refer me to a obesity nutritionist and adviced me that I need to take it seriously, and once I have completed this they will advice if I should have surgery and then my doctor makes the referal.

Am I right in assuming this is the tier 3 you all speak of??

Im in Portsmouth, I have read tier 3 is for 12 weeks, but then others that say it is for 6months.

Im confused, yet excited. Any advice or information would be apprieciated.

Thankyou xx

Hi guys, iv just found this thread and im so grateful!! I recently plucked up the courage to approach my doctor about surgury and was supprised with the positive responce, we decided to do a test for diabetes first as I was having symptoms. The results from this came back that I have prediabetes so he agreed that surgery would be good for me as my weight has onky increased over the years after many failed attempts at dieting. He said he would refer me to a obesity nutritionist and adviced me that I need to take it seriously, and once I have completed this they will advice if I should have surgery and then my doctor makes the referal. Am I right in assuming this is the tier 3 you all speak of?? Im in Portsmouth, I have read tier 3 is for 12 weeks, but then others that say it is for 6months. Im confused, yet excited. Any advice or information would be apprieciated. Thankyou xx

Hi!
Welcome! Yes that definitely sounds like tier 3- you will see nutritional its, psychologist and physio who does gym work etc with you for an exercise programme. I completed my tier 3 (Southampton Spire) about 5 weeks ago, it was a 6 month programme, just had my letter through and heading back to GP on Friday to see if she will still refer me for surgery (even though unfortunately the tier 3 letter has recommended I need further psychological input!). At the end of the day it is GP decision as to whether they refer and then the surgical team will decide.So I still don't know what the outcome will be!
Good luck!x

I was at Southampton spire , they recommend me not to have surgery as I lost 24 lbs by myself , I went back to my gp very upset got referred for surgery , 6.5 mths ago had mini by pass, it's very hard at the beginning ,

Is it.normal for 6months to seem like a lifetime?
I hope she still refers you barbiegal5 :)

That is my fear Curls, that I do as im told to show them how serious I am, and then they tell me i can do it alone. Its difficult to know what they want to see or hear. cos surely if I mess up and dont lose anything then they will say im not ready! So nervous!
Its easy to stick to a plan for 6months, but long term and to continue losing is the reason I need the op surely? Il just have to wait and see xxx

I was a fighter and wouldn't take no, I broke down at the doctors in the end..
I put on 10 lbs slowly after three months after tier three finished , portion control slowly crept up,.

I did level 3 for 6 months and saw a psychologist as well as a dietitian. I lost small amount of weight in them 6 months and it was my dietitian not GP who referred me for surgery. I was referred end of January, went to seminar 11th March and saw surgeon 30th March. I received a letter Saturday for my pre op which is for 8th June and another letter for my surgery which is 7th July. I've no illnesses other then having a BMI of 54.

Is it.normal for 6months to seem like a lifetime? I hope she still refers you barbiegal5 :) That is my fear Curls, that I do as im told to show them how serious I am, and then they tell me i can do it alone. Its difficult to know what they want to see or hear. cos surely if I mess up and dont lose anything then they will say im not ready! So nervous! Its easy to stick to a plan for 6months, but long term and to continue losing is the reason I need the op surely? Il just have to wait and see xxx
That's exactly how I felt too! I felt if I lost weight they would say I can do it myself, but obviously I can't maintain any losses as I'm in the situation faced today. Very difficult to know what they want! X

That's exactly how I felt too! I felt if I lost weight they would say I can do it myself, but obviously I can't maintain any losses as I'm in the situation faced today. Very difficult to know what they want! X

can I just ask a question how long from seeing the gp did u have to wait to get an appointment to see someone from the level 3 tier team ?

I am having my last weigh in on Tier 3 under Southampton Spire on the 6th June and I am so worried. I had a BMI of 60.1 and really battling for many years with weight and depression. I have been so anxious about the programme as I wonder if its just a stalling block. I have been to see my Dr again in tears asking this and she has informed me that she is backing me for surgery but then the Spire team have ultimately said it will be down to funding! Over 10 years ago I tried for surgery and got refused so not feeling optimistic. I have done everything asked of me: nutritionist with food diary, cognitive therapist plenty of talking and exercise I've increased my steps and 3 times a week completing exercise workout. I have also lost 7% of my start weight so far. If I get turned down I will break any support local to the south east of Southampton?

I am having my last weigh in on Tier 3 under Southampton Spire on the 6th June and I am so worried. I had a BMI of 60.1 and really battling for many years with weight and depression. I have been so anxious about the programme as I wonder if its just a stalling block. I have been to see my Dr again in tears asking this and she has informed me that she is backing me for surgery but then the Spire team have ultimately said it will be down to funding! Over 10 years ago I tried for surgery and got refused so not feeling optimistic. I have done everything asked of me: nutritionist with food diary, cognitive therapist plenty of talking and exercise I've increased my steps and 3 times a week completing exercise workout. I have also lost 7% of my start weight so far. If I get turned down I will break any support local to the south east of Southampton?

I've also gone through the tier 3 in Spire although i lived in Bournemouth at the time. I was also worried of not getting funding because i was told the same as you, doctor supported me (despite me not loosing much weight in the tier 3) but it's down to the funding people. But she saw i was in such distress, she said (i think by accident) that the funding people tend to go with what the tier 3 people recommend. This gave me a bit of hope but i know she couldn't have given me a 100% guarantee i was gonna get it. I hope this makes you feel a little bit better :)

This is bizarre as I was told by tier 3 the funding and referral was down to your doctor at the end of tier 3! My report at end said they were not sure I could make the changes as I gained weight in tier 3!!! I had my bypass on 12th February! My doctor sent off my referral on 8th dec last year! Don't lose faith!

I am a bit confused as I have already seen a consultant and she said she would see me in 6 months time. As part of this appointment, I saw a male who talked about exercise. The consultant said she would fast track me due to having had ovarian cancer and high risk of breast cancer but it would still take about 8-10 months.

Does this mean that I will definitely get the op?

What sort of exercise do they do in tier 3 meetings?

Thanks

Debbie

I am a bit confused as I have already seen a consultant and she said she would see me in 6 months time. As part of this appointment, I saw a male who talked about exercise. The consultant said she would fast track me due to having had ovarian cancer and high risk of breast cancer but it would still take about 8-10 months. Does this mean that I will definitely get the op? What sort of exercise do they do in tier 3 meetings? Thanks Debbie

I had to attend 3 appointments a month dietician, personal trainer at gym and a motivational therapist! I done this for 6 months then they all sprite a report on whether I should be considered for surgery and sent to doctor I then had to ask doctor for referral to tier 4 which is surgery

I had to attend 3 appointments a month dietician, personal trainer at gym and a motivational therapist! I done this for 6 months then they all sprite a report on whether I should be considered for surgery and sent to doctor I then had to ask doctor for referral to tier 4 which is surgery

Hi there can anyone tell roughly how long they waited from end of tier 3 until decision was made was told 6-8wks it just seem like ages away ?

Yes that's a good approximation of time.

I was due to finish tier 3 in July.. Was told It had been agreed for me to progress to tier 4 in the April, 9 months into the programme! I then chose my hospital and had my first tier 4 appointment on the 6th August. I've just had my second appointment and will have the 3rd on the 11th January, where I am hoping I get a yes for surgery from the mdt team, in which case I will then have appointment with surgeon and anaesthetist and hopefully get a date for surgery! It's been long, from referral to where I am now its been 18 months! I did my tier 3 with 4 healthy weight and am now under the care of Luton and Dunstable Hospital! I am keeping everything crossed for a Feb/March 2016 surgery date! Xx

I've had my surgery on the 19th November and very pleased. Since the 8th November I've lost 2 1/2 stone and I've not felt hunger at all!

Back