• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Tier 3 Weight Loss Management Programme

Well done Beepbeepcat that's amazing, I just can't wait to be on the losers bench!! Do you mind me asking where you had your op and which one you had? Xx

Soton spire hospital and the bypass

It took me 10 months from starting tier 3, would have been 9, but mine was delayed by a month! Xx

It took me 10 months from starting tier 3, would have been 9, but mine was delayed by a month! Xx

Wow! It look me 18 months! How has the tier 4 process been for you thus far? I've only just been referred and am hoping that it goes a lot quicker than tier 3!

I had my first tier 4 appointment on August 6th, I saw the nurse who weighed me and then sent me to have my bloods done, I then saw the obesity clinician who just chatted about my general history! My second appointment was on 4th December, I was due to see the nurse, dietician and psychologist but they had no psychologist for the day of the appointment, so rescheduled for next appointment. The nurse weighed me and chatted a bit about different ops, then the dietician spoke with me a bit and gave me a milk diet to follow and a target weight to aim for, he also sent me for bloods to be taken as they like to have recent results (no longer than 3 months!) My next appointment is on the 11th, next Monday where I see the nurse and psychologist. Over the Christmas break, I received a letter stating that as long as I have lost some weight and the psychologist is happy, that they are happy for me to progress to then see the surgeon and anaesthetist! :D I'm hoping it won't be too long, but won't know more until Monday, I will definitely update though! Where abouts are you for tier 3/4? I did my tier 3 with 4healthyweight in Kent and my tier 4 in Luton and Dunstable hospital where I am having my op! Xx

I had my first tier 4 appointment on August 6th, I saw the nurse who weighed me and then sent me to have my bloods done, I then saw the obesity clinician who just chatted about my general history! My second appointment was on 4th December, I was due to see the nurse, dietician and psychologist but they had no psychologist for the day of the appointment, so rescheduled for next appointment. The nurse weighed me and chatted a bit about different ops, then the dietician spoke with me a bit and gave me a milk diet to follow and a target weight to aim for, he also sent me for bloods to be taken as they like to have recent results (no longer than 3 months!) My next appointment is on the 11th, next Monday where I see the nurse and psychologist. Over the Christmas break, I received a letter stating that as long as I have lost some weight and the psychologist is happy, that they are happy for me to progress to then see the surgeon and anaesthetist! :D I'm hoping it won't be too long, but won't know more until Monday, I will definitely update though! Where abouts are you for tier 3/4? I did my tier 3 with 4healthyweight in Kent and my tier 4 in Luton and Dunstable hospital where I am having my op! Xx

Hola!

My tier 3 and 4 have both been at L&D. It sounds like everyone's pathway is very different. I got referred to tier 4 December 15 and have an appointment to see the anaesthetists start of Feb already. Thought that it was a bit weird as I always imagined that the anaesthetist would come in closer to the day of surgery... Anyway, please do keep me updated, as I'm really anxious to see how this will all play out. Hopefully it wont be another 18 months wait! lol.

The anaesthetist is usually the guy who holds the key to a definitive decision as he looks at all factors of your statistics inc recovery. I would have thought that you will get a date fairly soon after seeing him. This is my experience anyway, if its the same everywhere....unsure!? Good luck anyway and I will keep my fingers crossed for you

I got my date on the day I was referred there and then by the surgeon , he asked me what date I wanted

Hi I have the appointment with the bariatric physician next tuesday and am beginning to panic,

I am afraid that she will say i have to do the whole body morph thing again even though I did it for six months I have been going to sw for more years than i can remember and and have lost and gained the same 1.5stone and am thinking surgery is the only thing left that will help me.

I am thinking of taking my weight record from slim world with me so she can see whats going on.

I have already cut my portion sizes and cook from scratch and use a low fat cooking spray I really don't know what to do now.

Sorry if i waffled abit

Definitely take as much evidence with you as possible. That will really help your case. I had the same issue as well with losing/ gaining weight due to the medication I'm on for my diabetes, so took a food diary, exercise diary and even video diary on dvd to show what I've been doing to try and lose weight. Best of luck!! x

Hi all

Glad I spotted this thread...
I'm trying to make sense of the process with my GP!!
I went to my GP with my request for surgery last summer and was told the referral could only be done via a dietician. So I was referred to that service and expected to see the dietician 4x over 6 months, with drop ins run by another health professional in between (both at local gp surgeries).

As I mentioned on my newbie post things have been going surprisingly well and fairly quickly too. I'm not complaining as I was expecting things to take months, even years but the referable was emailed before Xmas and my first hospital appointment (multi disciplinary) is next month!! I had a dietician appointment earlier this week and wanted to clarify the tier services as I know in some areas tier 3 is done at the hospital also and funding. She said that my appointments with her are tier 3 and I need to do this for a minimum of 6 months (which will be next month) and that in the 3 years she's worked in that service no referral for funding has been done for surgery(???). I spoke to one the surgeons shortly after receiving the hospital appt letter and it just seemed so straight forward - my bmi is over 50 so that seems to be all they need to see to proceed...

I'm going to Lewisham Hospital and the surgeon I spoken to was Cynthia Borg if anyone is familiar with the team/process.

Last edited:
Hi Blossom

I am under Lewisham Hospital. First appointment with the team was in January 2015. My operation is due in March 2016. Everyone that goes via lewisham has to see their own dietician for at least 6 months and in reality it's likely to be about 8 months. The dietician is the person who recommends you for operation. Your dietitian might be right as far as I know only the dietician who is part of the biactric team can recommend you for the operation. Good luck on your journey. They are a good team at lewisham.

Thanks Marlene!! I've been so puzzled. So I have to have a series of appointments with the team and then the dietician decides? My dietician via the gp made it sound as if her referral was all that was required. Monday I meet the multidisciplinary team and they talk about the surgery. At what point did you get a date?

hello every one, I had my appointment on the 3rd of feb and I have been referred yay, the lovely lady said I had been exemplary and decided to refer me early she also said she will send me past the dietician and on to the psychologist however I got an appointment saying an mdt doctor / general surgery so im really excited however im not sure if it means what I think it means I also have to have an ekg when I go for my next appointment ?? any one know what happens next or how close I am ????/

Definitely take as much evidence with you as possible. That will really help your case. I had the same issue as well with losing/ gaining weight due to the medication I'm on for my diabetes, so took a food diary, exercise diary and even video diary on dvd to show what I've been doing to try and lose weight. Best of luck!! x

Hi Sam how long till your appointment now ???

Back