• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Today I regret it

judi2302

Had my op 5 days ago and today I REALLY regret it - I think it was my own fault - this morning I made porridge as suggested on the diet sheet but I put two teaspoons of psyllium husks into it because they are so good for constipation and I was really beginning to feel constipated.

I only managed a couple of spoonfuls but I feel like I have a blockage in my stomach - I have been the loo twice today so I know everythings working ok but I just feel so rough. My stomach feels so distended.:cry:

Jude should you not be on a liquid diet at the moment.
I had the sleeve and was on liquids for 4 weeks
Are you sure you have got the diet right?

Gastrointestinal tract obstruction may occur, especially for those with prior bowel surgeries or anatomic abnormalities, or if taken with inadequate amounts of water.

Just found the above on Wikipedia. It doesn't look like you should have it especially this soon after surgery and not before you have asked your surgical team.

If you are still having problems with the feeling of being blocked up phone your hospital A.S.A.P

I'm with doobidoobidoo, shouldn't you just be on fluids? Check with the advice given by your team as your insides are still swollen from the surgery and need to be looked after. Those psyllium husks will just clump together and have difficulty getting through the pouch plug-hole.

Probably wasnt the best idea seeing as you took senokot last night too.....maybe you should contact your surgical team or GP if no better by the morning.

i agree with the others, you should be on fluids (clear soups) for the first 4 weeks while your healing.

Yeah I agree L&D say liquids for 2 weeks post op then pureed/mashed for the following 6-8 weeks

Regretting it in the first few months is totally normal, I truly hated mine in the first 6-8 weeks but now 8 months down the line I adore my bypass.
I do agree with the others though, fluids only for the first 2-3 weeks.
Steph xx

The diet sheet recommends in the first 3 weeks - 1 weetabix with milk, or porridge 2 tablespoons, this is the first and last time I bother with the porridge. I have just kept on water today and a small cup of milk.

It also suggests a spoonful of fish in sauce as one of the evening meals with a spoon of pureed mash. None of which I've tried, I have just been having yoghurts and sugar free jelly.

I have learnt the hard way so others be careful, even in the hospital I was given a spoonful of pureed mash with pureed minced beef.

It just goes to show Jude however every surgeon is different with what they recommend us to follow post op. Just listen to your body but presonally I agree with what the others have said. I was 2 weeks liquid, 2 weeks slightly thicker/pureer and then 2 weeks soft food. After week 7 I would introduce food as when I felt ready. Even to this day I struggle with some foods like bread, rice etc.

Good luck with your journey.

i'm pre op but from info given by the hospital & the many posts i've seen i would assume its liquid all the way at this stage, i think i'd be to frightened to try anything other than liquid for a while after!!
Hope things get easier for you good luck

Glad your feeling alittle better :D. I am only three weeks out and am eating mashed food. I regretted it from the second day for a few days as I adjusted to my new life, doesn't help when nearest and dearest are so sympathetic but you know you did this as part of your own free will. Must admit am really enjoying it now and practically wet myself with excitment when going out for lunch today I could only have the soup starter :D, (sad I know but I honestly feel in control for the first time in a long time).
You had this op for your own reasons, keep that in the front of your mind and if all else fails buy a smaller size item of clothing that you'll soon be able to wear !! ...it works for me Xx

take care and look after yourself, if you dont who will ??

Sally XX

my diet sheet states liquids for first 11 days some say 14 days x

Mine was liquids for 4 weeks!! And i struggled with fish up until around 3-4 months!!!!!!

The diet sheet recommends in the first 3 weeks - 1 weetabix with milk, or porridge 2 tablespoons, this is the first and last time I bother with the porridge. I have just kept on water today and a small cup of milk.

It's not the porridge that's the problem, although I do agree with everyone else that you should still be on fluids at this stage, however if your surgeon suggests otherwise who are we to argue! :rolleyes:

Did you read Lorna's post? It's the psyllium husks that have caused this. You're not supposed to have them following a bypass...

Gastrointestinal tract obstruction may occur, especially for those with prior bowel surgeries or anatomic abnormalities, or if taken with inadequate amounts of water.

Just found the above on Wikipedia. It doesn't look like you should have it especially this soon after surgery and not before you have asked your surgical team.

If you are still having problems with the feeling of being blocked up phone your hospital A.S.A.P

I've just realised these are used in Fybogel and I was told under no circumstance to take this after bypass surgery as it can really swell the pouch.

Last edited:
I regretted it for 2 whole months post surgery but it does get better, I promise. Although I was on weetabix and porridge, I was told to make it really runny. I think maybe the husks made it too hard for your pouch to cope with.

Feeling lots better this morning - kept on fluids only yesterday and I have just had half a weetabix in lots of milk.

Will stick to fluids - soups, yoghurts and milk for the next two weeks.

Back