• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Tummy troubles...eek!

LisaG

Disappearing slowly
Hi all,

Just thought I'd share a bit of a problem as wondering if anyone else has had it.

Basically had a very dodgy tummy for a few months. Started after eating a few bites of chocolate brownie. Had no dumping at time but next day had a very sore tummy, lots of wind and soft stools. Learnt my lesson and thought better stay away from brownies in future.

Anyway, nearly 8 weeks later and it's still there. Been getting worse and worse over that time. Constant diorreaha...not nice. My boyfriend kept telling me to go to the docs but I thought it would pass. On holiday it got so bad I just stopped eating. Didn't make any difference what-so-ever so went to pharmacist over there (USA). She was so helpful and basically thought that I may have had a tummy bug or infection that I left too long and basically ended up with no good bacteria in my tummy to fight the bad ones off. She gave me a really high dosage of probiotics and something else to take just before eating to increase absorbion of nutrients. Within a week I felt great! Was so impressed!

Still taking the probiotics now but running out and not sure if to continue or where to get them here - like I said they are very high strength and the drinks we have just don't compare.

Has anyone else had similar probs, tried probiotics or knows where to get them? Will GPs prescribe them? I have a pay monthly thing so would be very handy if they do!

Hope someone can shed some light.

L x

Oh... sounds like I said she gave me probiotic drinks but they were pills (ones you keep in the fridge).

HI Lisa
I haven't had this issue post-op (I'm only 2+ weeks post-op) but I did after contracting dysentery on holiday in Egypt a few years ago.

My doc told me to just buy any live yoghurt..which I did and it worked a treat. I do now always try to have live yoghurt regularly as it keeps my gut happy.

I would've thought you'd be fine to do the same, buy Actimel or similar...but there's no harm in checking with your GP to be on the safe side, eh?

I hope it's all plain sailing for you from now on.

have u thought of trying holland n barrett, or other health food shops, they might just sell something like them.

There is a really good product (tablet form) called acidolphus (i think), it encourages the good bacteria. Got it in Holland and Barrett before we went to Egypt. My husband and daughter took it before they went and didn't get ill at all. I would say check with your team first though maybe?

Not sure, but maybe it could have been something like acidophillis (spelling?), as I used to take that as I am prone to thrush and cystitis, but as others have said, ask at a health food store xxxx

lol cool Jan.
It really is good stuff. if you have trouble with tablets you can get powder that you make up with water as well but you have to get that from t'internet!

Hi Lisa, sorry to hear you are having so much trouble. If you are suffering with diarrhoea try and make sure you keep your fluids up as you could become dehydrated. Has your GP said anything about taking rehydrat or diarolyte to make sure your natural salts etc stay normal?

Back