• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Tummy Tuck and Thigh Lift.

JustJo

Cambridge Counsellor
As some, albeit very few, of you will know, I had surgery on Friday. I'm writing this 'account' on Word, for my own benefit and memory, really, but am also writing it with a mind to posting it on here, as I know how 'thirsty' I was for information on cosmetic procedures before going through with it myself, so I figure that this may help someone to gain more of an insight.

I initially lost five and a half stone from February 2005 to July 2005. I then lost a further stone and a half towards the start of this year, taking me into the middle of a healthy BMI, and a size 10. With this, I was left with loose skin - mainly on my stomach (I've had two kids, too). I initially approached the NHS about this, over a year ago, but, despite being recommended by my GP and the surgeon, was turned down for funding.

So, I eventually decided to go private. After losing more weight this year, I thought 'in for a penny, in for a pound', and thought I may as well get my saggy inner thighs done at the same time. I'm a teacher, so the start of the summer holidays seemed like wise timing, to avoid absence from work. I did have to delay this slightly, due to a work conference in Chicago at the start of the hols - hence the Friday August 1st date.

I got to the hospital at 7.30am Friday, ready for the 8.30am scheduled surgery. I was pretty much ready to do a runner back out of there by the time the surgeon started drawing all over me, but I managed to restrain myself! All the staff were fab, though - all I can say is that I could really tell I was in a private hospital.

I was wheeled downstairs, and think I went 'under' at around 8.45am - 9am. When I woke up, I immediately looked at the clock, and it was 2.45pm. I remember just thinking, 'how can it be quarter to three? Where's the day gone?'. I suppose I could've figured out about what time I'd be coming round, if I'd done the maths beforehand, but it seemed so odd to me, at the time. I didn't feel like I thought I would, though - like I'd been knocked out, then immediately woken up. I did feel as though time had actually passed, if that makes sense. I hadn't really known what to expect, as I'd never had surgery of any kind before. The surgeon said that the actual surgery took around five and a half hours - half for the tummy tuck and half for the thigh lift.

I felt incredibly nauseous when I came round, and was scared about how much it'd hurt my stomach if I was actually sick. The nurse took my oxygen mask off, and gave me a anti-nausea pill to dissolve on my tongue. I was wheeled back up to my room and was told I'd need to have the oxygen back - thankfully they allowed me to have a nasal one, rather than the horrible mask again!
I sent off a few "I survived!" texts, then had a bit of a snooze. I felt a little better after that.

I have to say, I did have a fair few 'What the feck have I done?!" thoughts, that night and the next day. I was hooked up to a drip, a self-administering morphine thing, oxygen, blood pressure and pulse monitors, and I had a catheter plus two drains from my stomach. I couldn't move at all - not even to stretch out to reach anything. I was very struck by the fact that this was major surgery I'd been through, and that it was perhaps wrong to put my body through such trauma for something that wasn't actually 'necessary'. On the other hand, the pain was nothing like as bad as I expected. My stomach muscles were (and still are, although not as much) really sore, but the surgeon did pull them back together, as they'd been separated following my pregnancies (apparently very common), so I suppose that was to be expected - I know how much it hurts if you just strain a muscle! I had a bit of a cough for a few days (due to the anaesthetic), and I really couldn't actually cough, as it was far too painful! The rest of me was just numb, to be honest, and I couldn't feel much else at all.

The surgeon popped in, as did the anaesthetist, and another member of the surgery team, who I can't for the life of me remember what role he played.

I remember one of the staff talking to me about having a sandwich instead of a full meal, since I felt sick, and me thinking she was flippin' bonkers even mentioning food! By the time she brought it at around 6.30pm though, I was starving (I suppose I hadn't eaten for almost twenty four hours), and was wishing I'd asked for more food!

I slept funny that night, as I was woken every couple of hours for monitoring, but also kept dozing and waking anyway. My drip was removed, but the nurse then began uming and ahing over it, as my blood pressure was a bit low. She left it off in the end, anyhow, and just hassled me to drink more.

Day two (Saturday):

The surgeon came in to see me again, and seemed happy with my progress. He also decided that I should keep the catheter and drains in another day, as I'd had two major surgeries. The physiotherapist came in to walk me to the bathroom and back for a quick clean up. It took me about twenty minutes to simply get off the bed! Following that was the first time I used my morphine.

I had a couple of visitors to kill some time, but happily dozed/read my book on and off for the rest of the time. It's funny actually, as it would seem that you come out of hospital exhausted rather than rested. You never get into a proper 'full night's sleep, awake all day' routine, and just drift in and out all intermittently, regardless of day or night! Of course, you get woken at 6am every day, too.

That night, my morphine thing was taken away ("you obviously don't need it, as you've barely used it" - cue me thinking, "Hold on, no - don't take my security blanket away! If I'd known that, I'd have used it more!"), and I was told my catheter would be removed at 6am the next morning. Why so early with the torture??!!

Day three (Sunday):

I had a slight reprieve with the catheter. I was allowed coffee first, and it got taken out at around 6.45am! It really wasn't painful at all, having that removed - just a tad uncomfortable. Of course, that was it then - I now had to get up, as I'd need to wee. Physio came in again, and I was walked down the corridor. Not that I could stand up straight anyway, but I was told that it's essential for me to walk stooped for a week, to give my stomach chance to heal.

The surgeon came in to see me, and wound up removing and changing my stomach dressings, as he wanted to check that my belly button "wasn't black". :eek:
It's funny, as a friend was the first one to bring up seeing the results. She texted to ask whether I'd seen what it all looked like yet, and said something along the lines of it being exciting. It struck me then that I hadn't even given 'the results' a thought, and I didn't even particularly want to see! I don't quite know why that was/is - perhaps because I know how bad the skin was, and know that I just wanted it gone. As for my thighs, well, I'm expecting nothing dramatic there anyway, as I'll still have horrible fat thighs - they just won't be saggy with it!
Also, because the sore bits were kind of 'everywhere', I guess I had horrible visions of all sorts of awfulness under the dressings - you know, really bloody, scabby or 'gory' bits!

As it turned out, I was very surprised at how neat and clean it all looked. The belly button looks just like a belly button (although, I think I'll always be slightly saddened by the fact it isn't 'real' and isn't really 'my belly button', as such - is that odd?), and wasn't scabby or at all strange looking. The wound was as low down as I'd hoped for, but wasn't quite expecting. It all looked very neat, too - no redness or blood in sight... or even a stitch, actually! The surgeon was pleased as anything about how it looked, although he seemed more chuffed with himself than for me! He also removed my two drains, which were inserted around the top of my pubic hairline. I'd hardly lost any fluids through the drains, even after walking. I have to say, having the drains pulled out was perhaps the worst part of it all. The surgeon assured me that it wouldn't be too bad so long as he closed the suction off. He pulled the first one out, however, and it was horrible - I could really feel a 'vacuum', and it bloody hurt. On the plus side, though, it was over and done with in seconds, so it was no huge deal, I guess… so long as I never have to have it done again!!

Apparently a three night stay is the norm for a tummy tuck, but the surgeon recommended that I stay four nights due to having had the thigh lift too. I couldn't imagine managing at home anyhow, so that was fine by me.

I felt quite nauseous all day today, so didn't eat an awful lot. The nurses took me off the codeine to see if that would help, but said that one of the antibiotics I was on is particularly harsh, and it may well be that causing the nausea.

Day Four (Monday):

The surgeon visited again, and I expressed a worry about my thigh dressings. Since having the catheter out, it was simply impossible to ensure that no urine got on them, and I was beginning to worry about that. He said that it was unavoidable really, but took them off to have a look anyway. The wounds there are just the same as my tummy, in the sense of how clean and 'neat' they looked. They're simply a 'line' across the inside groin area of my inner thighs. Again, the surgeon seemed pleased with them. The dressings were redone (badly!) by the nurse, but remain a pain, as they just keep slipping I can now see the wounds on my thighs quite clearly anyhow, due to dressing slippage, every time I go to the loo.

Still fairly nauseous today, but not quite as bad, so I'm eating a little better. Physio walked me down the corridor again. Obviously I'm up and down to the loo anyway, though, so I'm a lot more mobile now. I finally 'moved my bowels' last night (sorry if TMI!) - I'd had a really bad tummy in the week leading up to the op, which had worried me implication-wise. From the evening of the op, when I started on my concoction of meds, I was offered lactulose to combat any adverse affects of the meds, which can cause constipation. I explained that, as I'd been taking diocalm all week, to no avail, I didn't think I'd need any help! So, when I still hadn't been on Sunday, I began to think that I should've had the lactulose. However, after going on Sunday night, I then went four or five times today, so am now worried that my bad tummy's back again! I find that really odd and fascinating, though - it's as if my body knows that it needed to put my tummy troubles on hold, as I suddenly went through a major trauma, and wouldn't be able to cope with it. Once I was up, moving, weeing, healing, etc, it was if it thought, 'Ok - as you were!', and just carried on where it left off!!

I'm actually feeling a little nervous about this being my last night. My kids are at their dad's for a fortnight, so I don't have them to worry about, but, aside from the first night, I'll be on my own in the house, coping alone. It's a bit scary, really.

Day Five (Tuesday):

I've made sure I'm here for both breakfast and lunch today, so I don't have to worry too much when I get home! The service, staff, everything have been amazing here. I do think that it may well have been an entirely different experience, had I gone NHS. I have a feeling I'd have been desperate to get home if I'd been on a ward.

The physiotherapist comes in again and walks me up the stairs this time. The surgeon also makes another unexpected visit. I feel he's mostly bothered so much because he's gloating over his handi-work, but that's fine by me!

So, that's it. I leave around 1.30pm with some info, an appointment for Friday afternoon, and a ton of antibiotics, even though I'm only supposed to take them for another day and a bit.

And the rest…

Well, I've been home two and a half days, and I'm coping fine. I finished my antibiotics yesterday, and have only taken paracetamol and Ibuprofen for the pain, since coming home. To be honest, I'm only really taking them sporadically - just twice today, I think. The pain thing has constantly surprised me, as there's just so little of it. What is frustrating, and a tad disturbing, is the lack of mobility, and the sheer weariness that you feel. I'm still having to walk and sit in a 'stooped' position (it's only been today where I've felt that I might be able to stand up straight if I wanted to, though), which can be something of a hindrance. I'm not allowed to lift anything, drive, or over-exert myself for at least two weeks. It's funny, as simply getting up, using the loo, washing, teeth brushing, etc, then getting downstairs is really tiring! It's a real change of mindset, as you have to just do small tasks a bit at a time, with rests in between. On the other hand, though, whereas I could only do a few minutes at a time, on Tuesday evening, I can now do at least ten/fifteen minutes, so I can see that it will get better every day. I think I'll feel a lot happier once I can walk upright, and can do simple but vital things, like popping down the shop if I need milk. I'll feel happier still when I can sleep naturally in bed, as the 'propped up, knees raised, on your back' position, really isn't doing it for me.

I still haven't seen my 'results', as such, as I've only had the dressings off whilst lying on my back, and it never did look particularly bad from that position, anyhow. I'm assuming that I'll see it all from the 'stood up position' at my appointment tomorrow, and I am now a little curious, as I can't imagine my tummy without the skin there. My tummy was always the big thing for me. My thighs bothered me, but I don't think I'd have ever had them done if they'd been my only problem - I kinda just thought that I may as well just get them sorted too, since I was having my tummy done anyway.

I'm hoping that the dressings will be removed tomorrow, rather than changed, simply because the thigh ones are such a nuisance. I'm wearing my compression pants over all the dressings anyway, and will continue to wear them for six weeks post-op. As the thigh dressings are still leaving the wounds exposed, I can't really see the point in them. I guess I don't particularly care either way about the tummy dressings, at present.

That's about it for now, more or less. I've been thinking a lot about what I've read regarding other people's tummy tuck experiences. I know that many people seem to sail through it all fairly easily, but Mike (icemoose) sticks in my mind somewhat for seemingly having a bad experience, which made him regret having the procedure. Now, I've obviously had two major procedures done, which makes it worse anyhow. I certainly wouldn't say I regret any of it, as it'd be too soon to judge anyhow, less than a week post-op, having never even seen the results properly. However, I can now very clearly understand where Mike was coming from. This is a huge deal, and it's not a decision to be taken lightly. At the end of the day, you're putting your body through a major trauma, for something that, on the face of it anyway, is merely 'cosmetic' - my loose skin was never going to threaten my health, or harm me physically in any way. I also know that I have a good pain threshold (I gave birth twice with no pain relief!), so whereas I've been surprised at how 'easy' the pain's been, other people may have a completely different perspective on it, and think it's horrendous. In addition, as yet (touch wood!), I've had no complications whatsoever, and everything has been textbook. Things could've been rather different.

Obviously, I'll be able to philosophise on the pros and cons with a lot more insight, once time has moved on.

Any questions? :D :p

Just want to say thanks for posting this as it is on my mind a lot at the moment.Hope you are happy with the results and your energy comes back soon x
You're very welcome, tara. I understand that you want all the info you can get, if it's something you're considering for yourself!

Thanks for the well wishes. :)

Jo x

One question Miss....

What time is your appointment, and I'll call you when you get home :rolleyes: :D

Hehe - just PMd you back!

My appt is at 2.30pm - not sure how long it'll take. I'll try to remember to send you a text, or something, when I return. :)

Jo x

Hehe - just PMd you back!

My appt is at 2.30pm - not sure how long it'll take. I'll try to remember to send you a text, or something, when I return. :)

Jo x

I'm quick.... PM winging its way back... ignore the waffle!

(good job you know me eh!)

(good job you know me eh!)

Not sure she would admit to that, though... :giggle:

*Ollie shuffles off before Debs see's this...*

Hey Jo... good to hear you're doing ok, baba :)

Rest up, missy...

x

shuffle faster missy!

Cheeky madam :eek:
I'm still about you know! Serial lurker me, sleep?? Pah!

Anyway - hope you are well yourself, obviously improved from your cheek :p

x

:hide:

Teehehe ;)

Yeah, I'm feeling a lot better... still get sore and very tired, but I'm doing ok :)

How's things with you? I wonder when we're going to have another meet up... seems AGES since Oz Camp!!! :D

x

Hey Jo... good to hear you're doing ok, baba :)

Rest up, missy...

x
Thanks, m'love!

Actually, I spent a chunk of yesterday evening catching up on your 'story' by reading through your diary thread. I guess I should've posted on it, but i'm a bit voyeuristic like that! :D

Best wishes back at ya'... :)

Jo x

Well, I had my dressings removed today. I've been left with just a waterproof one on my tummy, but it's transparent, so I can see everything.

I was lying on my back at the time, so still couldn't really tell how it all looked, as my tummy always did look 'okay' from that angle! As soon as I got home though, I had a look in my full length mirror. The scar is obviously still very apparent, but the difference is as massive as I knew it would be. I'm most impressed with my new belly button, as it looks so 'normal'. My thighs are still 'my fat thighs', but they're at least regular looking fat thighs now, rather than saggy looking!

My surgeon is still really pleased with my progress, and I currently have no complications at all, so it's all good. :)

I'm definitely feeling a lot more mobile now, and can see an end to it all. I'll just be glad when I can drive again, and can carry on with my life as usual.

Jo x

Back