• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Turned down AGAIN

Comorbidity technically only means that you have more than one illness/condition/disease at any given time.

The NICE guidance quoted here doesn't specificy 'comorbidity' - it states 'conditions caused by being overweight' (at a BMI of 35-40). It further implies that you don't need 'comorbidity' for BMI's over 40 - which you are!

All of my conditions are caused by my weight - joint pain, underactive thyroid, diabetes, high BP; and all will likely improve with weight loss surgery; my BMI was 54+ when orginally referred so my GP was happy to refer on this alone.

I would ask your GP's opinion if your condition would likely improve with weight loss and fight this decision - and the wording of the NICE Guidance and the category into which you slot (BMI +40) with the PCT. Good luck to you - and don't give up no matter how long it takes!

Just spoke to my doctor and he told me to print out where it says they go by NICE guidelines and that I don't need comorbities and drop it off at the surgery to help back me.

Apparently my urine was screened in June and I don't have glucose (diabetes)

He's referring me for a sleep apnoea test

I started the Cambridge diet yesterday... So I will lose weight but I know it will go on again.. But my question is will they turn me down if I lose weight? I'm just desperate but I know this rapid diet isn't going to last!

MoonCake xXx

Its one of those perverse situations, where the PCT are basically forcing someone who is already seriously overweight to gain more weight so that they reach a BMI so high that surgery is first line of action, or they develop serious life threatening conditions such as diabetes. Absolutely ridiculous... funding criteria should be standardised throughout the country - regardless of the illness or condition.

Hi Mooncake, sorry to hear that. I never got funding either and my BMI was 46 with serious heart conditions with every single family member on my fathers side and heading that way myself. I had to pay and if you need the surgery so badly can you not get it done with a private surgeon?
Like others have said though it is not your last option, appeal, try again but it must be really disheartening for you. But at the end of the day some of us in this WLS NHS lottery are never going to get funding as harsh as that sounds, so perhaps other avenues deserve a look at least.
Good luck though I really hope you get it :)

Keep positive... xx You have the support from people on here that understand the struggle.

Jane x

Hi mooncake am so sorry it's so unfair I know how you feel in fact my doctor said it was not even worth applying as i have no co morbids, and would need to put on more weight. I refuse to, so am madly saving up and going private end of year. Good luck!

My best friend's daughter has hypermobility (worst the doc have ever seen uses a wheelchair and only 15...). I honestly believe that you have a really good case. your condition is made so much worse by the weight. Please consider changing doctors until you get a hypermobility friendly/sympathetic one. Maybe your consultant could refer you? I feel for you, I really do.

Hi
I was told by my surgeon to go away and put on 6lbs to bring my bmi up to 50. He said i would be turned down if he applied for funding with my bmi at 49. I was rebooked for 2 months time and got my bmi up to 51 with a little help from some heavy boots and a pocket full of change!!
Its absoulute madness i was told to go away and put on weight but i would have done anything to fall into the right criteria. Bonkers!

Kim

I would contact your pct pals team to complain may swop doctors if doctor won't support you
So sorry know how you must feel but stick at them every week till they give in

Is there a charity in U. S. that would pay for very needed surgery, my son 38 yrs old weighs 370. I'm sure he is diabetic and severe sleep apnea, no indurance and is unemployed.

To have it done in the US would cost alot more than here privately.. I couldn't even afford the flights :(

MoonCake xXx

im so sorry about this have just read all of this about pct ect sounds rubbish!!i went to the doctor back in march! she said no! i am so confused when i asked my doctor about gastric band originally she said i didnt meet criteria with weight being 16st5lb but i now way 17st1lb i live in gloucestershire the forest of dean how can i find out what the criteria is for me? cant get finance as we would struggle to pay back monthly instalments and dont want to get into debt with two small children. can any of you help me please im going to see my doctor tuesday and am going to ask about sleep apnea as i dont sleep properly either and i also have asthma. thankyou also good luck with appealing . xx:)

Hi Mooncake, I just replied to another post of yours but had just read this one. I really feel for you as I also have hyper mobility and know how painful it is and that the weight issue doesn't help. I got funding on this basis as I don't have any co morbid conditions, no diabetes, heart probs etc. I weighed 17.3 when referred in June 2010, and had a BMi over 40 which was the criteria in Kent. My doctor put me on metformin in oct last year and i've lost 10lbs, was worried I'd fall out of the criteria but thankfully still at 42 bmi for now. I feel really bad that you can't get the funding approved and really hope you do get the discussion overturned soon. Xx

silky47 said:
can i ask what hyper mobility is ?

It's a genetic condition affecting the joints (they move further than a normal persons joints and it causes easy injury, dislocations and widespread chronic pain)

MoonCake xXx

my bmi is 48 and i have been turned down twice in the last year, i am trying to fight it but i know what u mean its so disheartening x

If you cannot afford private treatment, could you ask your doctor to do a more detailed health check. It is possible you could find another co-morbidity. You could be hypertensive, not for nothing is high BP called the silent killer. I only discovered mine when I had a stroke at 42!

Back