• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

UPDATE - Bloods results in!!!

tpt

Uber geek
Well - 8am tomorrow I am off to have my bloods done - full screening. As I previously stated, I am going to the doc as Surgicare are hundreds of miles away (and due to my vertigo and penchant for fainting I am now not allowed to drive) and also because Surgicare can't do anything that my GP can't do.

So - my sis (Nurse) was talking about the symptoms potenially being caused by something as simple as lack of Pottassium or magnesium which could be causing the total fatigue etc - all I know is that my bones in my arms & legs hurt / ache all the time and everything is an effort - apart from my jawbone funnily enough which has no problem with movement at all :D:D (much to the disdain of my students!).

Soooo - hopefully within a day or two we will finally get to the bottom of the matter and find out what the hell is causing these symptoms and find a solution. I can't stand problems I can't find a fix for (I am such a bloke trapped in a womans body ;))

Sis also said that even though I was a carb addict pre-op and my diet was appauling, my upper & lower intenstine adjusted to it and took what necessary nutrients it could out of my food. Now I have what is pretty much an artificial intestine (the pouch does not absorb like the propper tummy) which cannot take the nutrients out of any food naturally, so while I stamp my feet and declare that I WILL NOT micro manage my food, dieting bores me and I really can't be arsed with it all, I did think about what she had said and have made a concerted effort to change things.

So last week, I would not eat all day, have dstspn cheddar mash plus fish fingers or something like that plus some days steamed veg for dinner, then perhaps a couple of biccies with a cuppa PM or some nuts, now I am making a concerted effort to eat a light salad (all 6 mouthfulls of it!!) at lunch time and I just had mackerel, coucous, toms & greens for my tea (again -less than a saucer full). I can eat bread, but I don't, I can eat chips, pizza, cake and choc - but I don't (obviously I have had to try each of the above in very small amounts to see if I was going to dump).

So, after the results come in, I get a fix, my body returns back to normal and then I start training with a view to competing next year. If it does not happen like this, I am going to be a very unhappy bunny. The lack of weight loss is secondary to my health & well being - I can exercise that off as soon as I feel normal again.

I have now finished.:p

Last edited:
Cheers Alli- I am not low, depressed or emotional (I think with the logical side of my brain not the emotional - don't really do emotion) I am more 'frustrated' because I can't seem to sort it on my own. There HAS to be a logical explanation, it has to be a deficiency, it's just a process of elimination. I am past the point of caring about the weight loss, that will sort itself in good time. My OH is non able bodied now so in the grand scheme of life, what is going on with me is trivial. I will post the results as soon as I get them - in fact you will probably hear me shouting!!!

fingers crossed for a result for you hun. It must be awful when you are a sporty person...I wouldnt know :p...and you dont have the energy to do anything.

Good luck and hopefully speedy results :D

Good luck with the results and i hope you get the ansers you are looking for. I take it you dont eat breakfast !!
have you had any psychological asessment/support prior to yr op?
To get the best out of the tool you have been given you really need to look after it and feed and water it with good nutrition.
Can i just ask though why anyone feels the need to test the dumping theory out as that surley means you are going against the recommended 5grms of fat or sugar per 100grams.

Good luck with the results and i hope you get the ansers you are looking for. I take it you dont eat breakfast !!
To get the best out of the tool you have been given you really need to look after it and feed and water it with good nutrition.
Can i just ask though why anyone feels the need to test the dumping theory out as that surley means you are going against the recommended 5grms of fat or sugar per 100grams.

pokes GC awake... I think she was being sarcastic with the dumping testing lol, though I could be wrong and she was being scientific :rolleyes: :D

Hi Tina, good luck with all the tests and i hope the results will finally give u some answers and in the enxt coming weeks things will improve for you 100% and u can start feeling better and stronger and benefit 100% from ur op.
Take care hun and chat soon xxx

No - never eat breakfast - can't face food in the mornings.

No evaluation - 10 days from deciding on the Op to having it. Not that interested in food & it doesn't govern my life.

I didn't have a 'testing the theory' day!:D:D I had a square of galaxy one day weeks back(OH's) and it was fine. I ate a couple of his chips another day - all fine. I had 2 bites of a chelsea bun from a colleague - again no probs and a slither of pizza one night when I was utterly hacked off. I have gone from being an uber dumper to not dumping at all now but I still don't eat junk food. In fact I would say that I have zero interest in food at all. I eat to live not the other way round. I rarely eat anything processed or pre-cooked and find it all a chore.

Anyway - had full bloods done this morning - results Monday. Am not anaemic but am hypertensive :rolleyes::rolleyes:

Hi tpt

hope you get to the bottom of it.

were you really only eating in the evening until recently? did I read that right? If so it is likely you were suffering from mal nutrition eek. what supplements are you taking?

I can understand how you feel about micro managing but unless you do this to a certain extent ie little but often, more protein less carbs, daily vit suppliment and plenty of water you really arent going to be tip top at all. eating some leaves for lunch isnt enough to sustain anyone and cartainly not if you are only eating a small meal at tea time.

You say that you are not governed by food and that your not worried about lack of weight loss atm which is a good atitude to have as stress makes it worse but are you being honest with yourself, I ask this because if these are not issues I'm confussed as to why you had surgery? BTW Im not asking you to answer this or justify yourself to me or anyone else on these boards, just to yourself :)

I'm sure other readers of this post have thought the same thing, it sort of jumps out of the page at me that you are not eating enough by far and malnutrition bears all the symptoms of which you speak.

I really hope your feelign stronger soon

Take care Xx

Hi tpt

hope you get to the bottom of it.

were you really only eating in the evening until recently? did I read that right? If so it is likely you were suffering from mal nutrition eek. what supplements are you taking?

I can understand how you feel about micro managing but unless you do this to a certain extent ie little but often, more protein less carbs, daily vit suppliment and plenty of water you really arent going to be tip top at all. eating some leaves for lunch isnt enough to sustain anyone and cartainly not if you are only eating a small meal at tea time.

You say that you are not governed by food and that your not worried about lack of weight loss atm which is a good atitude to have as stress makes it worse but are you being honest with yourself, I ask this because if these are not issues I'm confussed as to why you had surgery? BTW Im not asking you to answer this or justify yourself to me or anyone else on these boards, just to yourself :)

I'm sure other readers of this post have thought the same thing, it sort of jumps out of the page at me that you are not eating enough by far and malnutrition bears all the symptoms of which you speak.

I really hope your feelign stronger soon

Take care Xx

Hi and thanks for the comments. I have always been a lazy eater and due to the nature of my work, I often don't even get a 10 min break in the day, so often yes, I don't eat till I get home. I am on Forceval & ant-acids, plus Selenium plus Calcium. I make sure I eat fish / eggs / cheese every day. I drink approx 20 - 30 mugs of tea a day.

I had the surgery due to physical pain - I had a major bike crash 6 years ago which left me paralysed. I was on lots of meds for 2 yrs plus immobile so bloated out and it took me years to get my mobility back. I went cold turkey on all the drugs and had alternative therapy. My lasting effects are Ortho arthritis in both hips and sciatica (smashed my pelvis up). So - last year was the 1st time I was able bodied enough to go to the gym - which I did daily (had half a year off to look after OH). I lost just over 3 stone through exercise only to put it back on (when I returned to workl full time )and then some. Along with the re-gain came the total pain and immobility which I was hospitalised for in Feb. I don't smoke and don't drink so I guess I overate a tad at this point. By June my hips were preventing me from walking my dogs, riding my bikes, walking etc and I had had enough so I opted for surgery.

I have always been very sporty, I boxed, kick-boxed and was basically addicted to exercise for many years so doubly struggled with the whole concept of not being able to get the weight off due to my 'disability'.

So - I ate pretty normally, bad-ish habits etc all my life, erratic eating etc but always always burned it off. I never watched cals etc, avoided really bad food (apart from pizza & bread) and just lived really. I never have been a micro-food manager, it's not really in my nature, and I am just not that interested.

I am now in a 14 jeans, have gone down 5 cup sizes and have not had the severe pain at all that I was experiencing (but it is not winter yet). The rest of the weight will go through exercise which has been my motivation, once my energy returns and the dizziness goes - but I can't sort that out until I find out exactly what it is that I am defficient in & is causing it.

So - am I being honest with myself? Yup. I am very realistic and deal with fact not emotion. Just becuase my reasons differ from most, does not make them any less valid.

Thanks for all your good wishes, smashing lot!

Thanks for replying tpt

coffee addict lol:7834:;)

I have pretty similar reasons to you for having the surgery, though not through accident.

Lack of Potassium, magnesium and b12 all can cause these symptoms, I get very dizzy and brain foggy when my b12 jab is due. The fatigue in my case is not so simple to solve unfortunately.

You have done marvelous to overcome what you have thus far, apologies if my previous post sounded patronising, obviously, I do not/did not know your history like most of us on here and do try not to make assumptions.

Hope you get the bloods back swiftly and they carry the answers

Xx

No problem! I am VERY thick skinned!

If anyone learns from my mistakes then the thread will not have been a waste of time - I KNOW I am eating erratically, and I do try to change that but it is not always possible - I have literally just got in from work (9.35pm)- have not had a bite to eat due to being in front of classes all day, OH saved me a bit of dinner.

I am in no doubt that malnutrition is causing the majority of my symptoms - some of them are just my body coping. I am being honest about my crapness with food, hopefully this indicates to others that it is probably not a good idea...there is no benefit of posting about how poorly I have been and then lying and saying I am dieting properly & eating regularly. Also - there are several threads regarding post op fatigue and it would be good to document the problems/ causes / solutions.

As I have stated before, I am in my 40's and well aware that my frankness offends some folk.

blimey tpt thats some going. How about some of the ready made protien shakes like the mex rex, pro shots etc. at least you would be getting some nutrition in.
Im just trying to think outside the box for you because even if you find out what it is yr deficiant in you can only take so many suppliments the key is eating as you know.
Your honesty is your strength and i hope i havent offended you in any way im just worried for you.
take care
carole

No - not at all carole - I post so that folk *can* comment and I can benefit from their experience, even if it is to be scolded for my lapsidasical eating. I bought some new protein shake stuff from H&B at the weekend (or OH did) so I will ensure I take a flask of it tomorrow to work...oh and I am kinda relying on the 'magic tablet' cure to fix me and I have a suspicion that I may be disappointed LOL... I will make a concerted effort to consume more protein, drink my shakes and try to eat more / remember to eat.

Hi TPT

I just watched a short clip from Guy Slater saying that dumping does wear off in a number of patients...He says that some patients will have major dumping soon after surgery and about 3 - 6 months after the affects become less...

I thought you'd be interested to know as I'm sure I saw that mentioned in an earlier post.

(((hugs)))

Back