• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

UPDATE - Coventry Hospital

beckers

MDT?

I saw the dietician on Thursday and she was very pleased with me as I'd lost weight, she filled in a form in front of me to send to the MDT. What does this mean as again, she didn't really explain. She included my co-morbidities and my time in the wl clinic so far (15 months) and that was all I remember lol. I'm rubbish at remembering things.

MDT stands for multidisciplinary team. Basically all the people who have seen you will get together and decide whether you are a good candidate for surgery. If you've jumped all their hoops succesfully, they usually say yes

I don't know if it helps, but she seemed very excited that I've lost weight,changed my lifestyle and have 2 maybe 3 co-morbidities, she kept saying how pleased she was, and from thinking back I think I have jumped through the hoops lol. I was just wanting clarification really as to what it possibly means with regards to the surgery.

Well, as long as you've done what they've asked and they seem happy its usually a yes :)

And they ususally hold these meetings once a week, it wont be long until you hear. I waited 2 weeks then phoned and was told over the phone. She was going to send out the letter the next day. If you do decide to phone leave it nearer the end of your work day or you wont be able to concentrate on anything when they tell you, yes!!

Kim

lol bless you. im quite excited now, i didn't think to ask her how long it would be till they see my case or till i heard from them.

So i had 2 letters come through today, one to see Louise Halder of the dietics team, and another to see the dietician specifically. I was under the impression that Louise was the dietician as i always see her, but it seems im wrong. Anyone have any insight as to the 2 differently wording appointments? because i have no idea.

Bit deflated

So i had 2 letters come through today, one to see Louise Halder of the dietics team, and another to see the dietician specifically. I was under the impression that Louise was the dietician as i always see her, but it seems im wrong. I contacted her yesterday and asked how the meeting went but they didn't have one last week, she then told me oh it's a really long road to go down it'll be ages ect ect. Now I'm feeling quite low as I was under the impression things were going well, I see the team at Coventry but I'm from Northamptonshire so I think I come under that pct not Coventry. I meet all the criteria for both pct,s so now I'm all lost again as to where I am. Hope you can understand this.

Hi Beckers

PCTs have preferred providers so the hospital you have been referred to is one of your PCTs preferred providers - it doesn't matter what PCT it comes under.

When I lived in East Sussex I was referred to the Whittington Hospital in Islington, North London.

Hang on in there. I know it's difficult but it will come. Everyday that goes is a day closer xx

It took a year for me from requesting WLS to getting chopped. That was back in the good old days however and these days its at least 18 months if not two years to completion. We didn't get huge overnight and we won't get our date overnight either. Take the time to prepare for surgery and to make any small changes you can. I know waiting is really hard bit the only alternative is to self pay so its wait or pay up I'm afraid. Good luck hun x

Coventry and Prof. Kumar

Does anyone on here have any experience of Prof. Kumar and his team, either at Coventry or the place he was before? Im just trying to find out how long his waiting lists usually are and as much info about him as I can really.

the only advice i can offer is to search for his name and or coventry in the search box in the top right and you can bring up threads or posts with those words in... you should be able to find something that way xx

beckers said:
Does anyone on here have any experience of Prof. Kumar and his team, either at Coventry or the place he was before? Im just trying to find out how long his waiting lists usually are and as much info about him as I can really.

Hi I haven't been on for while, I became bit disheartened by what feels like lies and false hope from Coventry. Although when I look at my timeline it's not that bad compared to others here, it's just that they seem to build you up and then knock you down. If it's any help I will outline my journey.

I first asked for referral in march 2011, but due to locum unsure of paperwork my referral was sent May 2011.
First appointment 24th August with dietician, turned out to be wrong dietician, this was in the main hospital her advice was to have a day of eating veg ( thanks!) told her I was looking for bariatric surgery.

September 23rd appoint with dr Reddy (one of Dr Tom Barber's minions) he said I was a good candidate for wls and suggested a band, he hadn't looked at any of my eating habits or really asked me many questions. I knew a band wasn't a good option for me, tried to put my point across but at least I was being put forward for surgery there would be time to argue my case. Made an appointment to see him again in January having lost 5% of my weight.

September 29th. Sleep apnoea test. Diagnosed with severe OSA. It's not good, but because coventry's main co-morbidities is OSA it was a good thing. Have a Capp,machine as my bed partner now.

October 3 rd -appointment with dietician Sue Bridgewater this time in the wisdem centre. This was a group meeting, although sue is lovely the meeting felt like a bit preaching to the converted. I think most of us have been there and tried every diet going and know the theory. I had following appointments with sue in the group, dec,jan and feb.
October10th - appointment with mr menon one of the surgeons, I think there is only him and prof Kumar ( I could be wrong). As he has operated on me 5 times previously he knows me inside and out, literally, intact I think he actually referred me for wls. He agreed I was a candidate for surgery and said he would be happy to give me a sleeve because of my previous abdominal surgery, I wasn't happy about this at the time, but having done more research I do think it is the best option for me. So far so good all was looking like I was heading in the right direction and this might actually happen.

Jan 2012- back to see Dr Reddy with my 5% weight loss, just, he was over the moon I had sleep apnoea, strange man, and said he would fill in my mdt form there and then and my case should be heard the end of jan or 11th Feb. woohoo that was fantastic news surgery seemed to be getting closer and closer. The only thing he thought would delay things was that I hadn't had my psych appointment with Dr David Kendrick yet. Although he said he didn't think I needed it and would argue me case.

Feb came and went with no news. I emailed the pct who said they had no request for funding, and I emailed Louise handler, who is apparently the head dietician for weight management, but I never received a reply, I think she may have left and sue has taken her place, I know sue has only joined the team recently from heartlands.
I had a word with sue at my last group weight management session and she said she would look into for me. Nothing! I am starting to deflate and surgery seems to be getting further away.

April - Dr Kendrick appointment , this was the one I was worried about, wondering what things he might dig up from past. It was nothing to worry about and actually wish this has been my first appointment it put a lot of things in perspective and actually made something click in my head. He got a bit shouty shouty and was very blunt something which I respond to.me wanted to know why my weight hadn't changed much and fluctuated between 142 and 136 kg and that I was now t my heaviest. I had lots of excuses or reasons as I call them, I couldn't do it on my own that's why I was there, I had just come back from 2 weeks all inclusive holiday etc. he said no one had forced the food in mouth and if I couldn't start making changes now how would I cope with wls, he was right of course. Although he did get my hopes again and said that he thought surgery was the best option for me and would, yet again put my case to the mdt to be heard in May.

I saw the dietician at the end of April one to one . She was pleased with my 7kg weight loss and thought my head was now in the place. She also read my notes and what dr Kendrick had put was discuss but do not list. I take this to mean they may agree my funding but not operate yet, this peed me off again, although sue said she would tell them that I was doing well.

Sorry for waffling but it should give you an idea if your further along than me. In the meantime I will stalk the postman and see what happens at my next appointment with dietician die tics on 31 may although this is just to get weighed by the lovely Margaret.

Hope this helps

Hey, thanks for the reply. I was referred to Coventry in December 2010 and had my first appointment in Jan 2011, since then i have been seeing various members of the wl team and the dietician. I too have osa and use cpap and see Louise Halder, she was happy that i had osa plus some other comorbidities, lost weight on my own and she filled in and sent off the MDT form in front of me. I see Dr Kendrick in July this year (should be fun). I now have appointments to see Louise again and the dietician specifically , which i thought was actually Louise but obviously not, and i see Prof. Kumar in May. So far its been 16 months so maybe it wont be much longer?

Psychologist appointment!

Hi all, I have an appointment with David Kendrick at Coventry next tuesday, as i dont think im crazy, what sort of things is he going to ask me, or what am i going to have to do? Im not sure why i have to see a psyc doctor but oh well :)

Its so that they can decide whether you are mentally ready for the surgery or if there are psychological issues with food that need addressing in order to make surgery effective for you.

Hey,

Just keep calm and answer honestly all his questions- he is not trying to catch you out. This is good as they are making sure you are 100% prepared. Even if they don't think you're ready now, you may be in a month or so.

They ask about your history; anxiety, depression (which most of us have been through as a result of Being overweight). They will ask about your family and work life and how you feel about surgery.

Don't worry it's a breeze. I have a history of depression but they used that as a meaning to proceed as weight loss will help.

Good luck!

I saw him at cov about a month ago. He is really nice. I was worried before going wondering if he was going to drag something up from my childhood and make me cry. Or if I was just a basket case. Apparently he is very good at judging character and can tell what a person needs.

He didn't really ask me anything, he just chatted with me. He did get a bit headmastery at one point and was telling me off but it was something I needed as what he said has stuck with me and he did manage to get inside my head.

Back