• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Psych appointment next week - need some advice

novamay

Born Free
Hi all, if you've read my last couple of posts then you know that i'm currently seeing a psych as part of my WL - I'd asked to speak to someone to find out the route of my problem with food and why I emotionally overeat most of the time.

I got fairly upset at the last meeting and clammed up. I have written a fair bit about why I think I overeat and what food means to me, why I feel I can't stick to diets and what upsets (mostly bullying from other children) and examples (mother/grandmother) I had when I was growing up.

Now, do you think the psych would take offence if I printed this off (its about 3 sides A4) and took it to the next meeting on Thursday for him to read. I can write stuff down but I'm a bit useless at saying it face to face! I'm frightened that I might sound stupid or something, cos I know I would waffle on and go off topic...

also, should I ask him what his plans are for me and if he has a timescale? (I'm a bit OCD that way - I need to have goals and prep for stuff beforehand). I don't want to spend a year just talking and getting upset.

I think its a good idea,if it helps you get your history over in a way that you feel more comfortable.But he may need to still have some actual input from you.They see stuff like body language and emotion that he wouldnt get from reading it.Best of luck.Maz x

You could take it with you and have some bullet points to help remind you about the things you want to tell him, if he wont accept it to read it himself. I really see no reason why he shouldnt accept it to read though after all it is a therapy that is helping you find answers to the reasons for the way you emotionally eat.
I was a psychiatric nurse for 17 years and we always accepted anything a patient asked us to read that they had written, it often helped us in their treatment and we attached it to their medical notes for the Psych to read as well as bring it up during ward round. I cant vouch that all hospitals or psychs do that though hon. I hope for your sake he accepts it and can find the information in it, that will enable him to ask specific questions to help him help you.. xx

Back