• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

UPDATE Sunderland wait times - confirmed by mr small's secretary

newcy

I have been thinking about my options for WLS and wondering if the wait times are different for each type of surgery?

Once I (hopefully) get on the waiting list at SRH will the wait be shorter for certain surgeries where there is less demand and longer for the more popular surgeries or are we all on the same waitlist just keeping our :fingerscrossed: ?

Last edited:
as far as i am aware the waiting list is the same for all surgery options - approx 18-24 months from inital referal for sunderland. it is the consultant not the procedure as each consultant can perform both band and bypass.

Thanks christine77 - that's good to know. I want to pick the best wls for me but at the same time if I have to wait 6 months longer for one surgery than another it would prob influence my decision x

If it is the same waitlist for all WLS then things should speed up once a new surgeon has joined the team. Has anyone heard how long it will be until someone is in post?

its currently approx 14 months from seminar to surgery at SRH at the moment regardless of the surgery type x

when i saw mr balupuri in the begining he said to me the gastric band list was minial as everyone wanted bypass's so i think it can matter on what you choose, best to ring and ask xxx

Thanks Justliz. Glad you're not in too much pain today - take it easy x

It does seem as though the bypassers are waiting longer than banders and sleeves. Ta cherry, I'm going to ring tomorrow and ask the question x

surely you want the surgery that is best suited for you and your eatting habits after all you are having the surgery for life and you need to be able to live with it - once you have had your seminar and first appointment with the consultant then you will see what an important choice it is to have the correct surgery.

sorry if i am in any way sounding harsh but some people do go into this looking for a quick fix and will take what ever is the quickest option as all of us on the list know its a very hard journey to get the surgery and many many things and obstacles stand in the way of your seminar and getting on the list.

i suggest research all options fully so that when you do have your first appointment you can fight for the surgery you believe is right for yourself

good luck with your journey xxx

You're right! I know this is going to be a long journey but it's been so long already that I just want to get on with the rest of my life. I just wish the seminar was sooner - I have too much time to think so I keep deciding on one thing and then change my mind. I'm sure I'll have a lot better idea of what I really want after the seminar. Thanks hun - keep me focused xxx

trust me i am the most impatient women ever as many on here will tell you - between my seminar in the november and my first appointment in the April i became totally obsessed with it and with the waiting list, i used to search through this forum to make sure noone was getting sooner appointments and were people getting ahead of me on the list or getting cancellation appointments . every night i would trawl the internet looking for info on surgery , i couldnt concentrate on my work during the way i spent the days wondering was there a letter in the doormat. i became so bad that i had to log off the forum for months for both mine and my hubbies sanity . i never thought the journey would be this long but now im getting near the end i can say it has flown over , although the wait between appointments is a killer. i have now turned my focus onto losing as much weight as i can before surgery and i weigh the lightest i have for a few years and you know whats scary im not even trying that hard!!! your time will come just enjoy christmas and look forward to your seminar in jan and the start of a new you for 2011.

xxxxxxxx

Have you been spying on me? That is me - described exactly. Up all night re-searching the internet, analysing everyone else's messages to work out where I am in the process and worrying in case I miss out on an early appointment.

It's not totally my fault - got a holiday to Disney booked for the kids Easter 2012 so was hoping to have had surgery by xmas next year. Think I might have drove myself mad by then...

I'm glad to hear it goes by quickly and do appreciate the advice. I'll try to tone it down, thanks xxx

Chris had given you some great advice. The journey is long and slow but worth the wait. I don't think the surgeons would allow you to opt for us the shortest possible route in any case. They really do care and want you to have the best possible long-term outcome.

Try to take a deep breath, accept you're looking at probably a year minimum from seminar, but do your research, try to improve your weight and health in the meantime; maybe begin a diary and begin some serious soul-searching and pondering on why you have issues with food. All these things done now will not be wasted, but rather help you a lot on your journey. Best wishes honey.

You're both so right. I need to chill out! It's good to hear the surgeons care - I haven't met anyone yet so I don't know what to expect. I think that's the main problem, I'm sure I'll feel like I'm starting to get somewhere after the seminar.

I'm going to start fresh in the new year. The seminar is on the 5th so I'll have my weight logged and then I'm back on Weight Watchers for the long haul.

Thanks Charis, you're a STAR xxxx

Well done Newcy. That's the right attitude pet. You'll do well...and the more weight you lose when they give you your weight loss target, the better pleased they'll be with you. xxx

I just thought I would share this info as confirmed by Mr Small's secretary this morning:

Wait time from Seminar to 2nd app't - 4 months

Wait time from 2nd app't to 3rd app't - 6 months

Wait time from 3rd app't to surgery - 6 months

Everyone goes onto the same waitlist no matter which surgery they're having.

Charis - I promise, no more questions about waitlists from me (this year at least). I'm just focused on getting healthy for surgery now xxxxxxx

Ive been reading this thread with a smile on my face as you have described me to a tee!! I had my seminar in Sunderland Sept 29th and I have phoned the hospital twice since then to see if appointments had been made!! When I phoned the second time I was told appointments were not sent out until 6 weeks befor the appt date, so if its 4 months until the appointment after seminar then I guess I should be hearing wehn my appt is just befor Christmas.....fingers crossed..... wishes under the mistletoe and all that jazz,lol

You all sound just like me too, I've watched the fat programs on sky showing the surgery, I've trawler the Internet and I'm always ringing the hospital asking when my appt is. I'm at the hospital now waiting for my endoscopy and the surgeon said have you got any questions. I said how long til the op and is there a chance I could get s cancellation and have it sooner. He said I meant about the endoscopy I said no. But looks like it will be 6 months. I was originally referred in July 2009 and had seminar in Sept 2009 looks like op will be may so it's almost 2 years. But don't lose heart you will get there, Karen x

i know i feel the same, im on the list from the 27th... i rang today and they said that its upto 6 months, eeek very exciting if we go from 6 months its april time im looking at sooooooooooooooo long away siiigh x

im also waiting i had my endoscopy on the 29th sept so have been on the list since then but the way i see it a month and a bit has laready passed so the wait shouldnt be too bad.

Just had the endoscopy they've found loads of ulcers so I have to get them treated then have another endoscopy before I can go on the list

Back