• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Goal weights

StephieAck

I know Ive changed!
My original goal weight was 10st but after looking into BMI's I reset it to 9st to get me to the ideal BMI bracket for me. When I saw the dietician a few weeks back we discussed it and she did the sums and said "you could afford to be more than that" as in I would be fine with a slightly higher BMI.
Since then I have been thinking about things. My goal dress size was always a size 14...12 would be better but 14 would have made me happy. I am now just under two stones from that 9st goal weight and am already in a size 12 in dresses/skirts/jeans etc, 14 in other things. I never even considered that I would have to consider being smaller than this. But basically, I dont want to be any smaller than a size 10, I respect people that would love to be in the single figure but I personally dont want to go below a size ten. With two stones left to go, surely I will hit that size 10 and if history is anything to go by, maybe even a size 8 and I dont want that.
So what am I to do? Do I go blindly along to 9st simply because I would be at an ideal weight or do I aim to stop losing before then?
Im actually quite happy with my figure now, yes I have lots of skin etc but all dressed etc Im quite happy, Im not totally sure I WANT to be 2st slimmer.
Oh I dont know, what do you guys think? Would you just plod on until you met the criteria of what is healthy or would you stop when you feel happy with yourself, even if it technically means you are still overweight, in BMI terms?
The dietician seemed actually quite suprised and a little concerned that I wanted to get multiple stones off still.
So?
Steph xx

Steph i'me in the same predicament, my bmi now is 31 ish and i weigh 16st 12lbs i ideally wanted to be around 17st has i was when i was younger and fitter but i keep losing in fact in the 8months from the op i havnt had a stall at all so ive been told i could easily lose another 3/4 st which i do not want to do so ime not actively trying to eat more but it does concearn me has like you i have excess skin from the 14st ive lost ive even been to see surgeons re tummy tuck but they have advised against it yet due to me still losing, i lost 4lbs last week, ohh what a crazy world eh.

hi stephie, my dietician told me that we all have a natural body weight that is unique to us, and that when we get to that weight, we just stop losing. also, if u think about it, your loose skin will be contributing to some of this weight, and if that werent there, you probably wouldnt be far off your 9 stone. how do u feel about it personally, do u feel as though you need to lose any more, or are u happy where you are, if it were me, i would go with what my own instincts told me. you look great now. congrats on doing as well as u have done, hugs x

Thanks for the reply xx
I dont think Ill be the same, Id have to work a bit harder to get to the 9st I think.
Steph xx

Thanks Dawny xx
Well I am pretty confident that I am carrying a lot of weight in my skin, my tummy alone is heavy (my side hurts if I lay on my side too long where the weight of it hurts a bit, so if I weigh around 10st 12lbs now I reckon I would be close to 10st 2lbs without the skin as of now. I think I would still like to lose a bit more, but I think a stone at the most. I dont want to get there and the professionals says that I need to aim for my ideal BMI, which would be 9st.
My weight is naturally slowing down now, it does have a little flutter now and then where Ill drop a few pounds quickly, but generally it has slowed right down. Ive had people in my life (family etc) asking me if maybe it is time to stop now, so I know I cant look too bad. I know that I am now at a weight where my gynae would give me more help to get pregnant, so Im doing way better than I expected to do. Actually, right now I think Im at the stage where if the weight naturally stopped now I would be ok with it. Hhhmmmmm, I think that maybe I will up my goal weight to 10st instead of 9st.
Thanks xx
Steph xx

Hi STEPH
I had the exact same dicussion just 2 weeks ago with my bariatric nurse and dietitician. My original goal was a size 14 but a weight of 10 stone. I'm now a size 12 but weigh 10 stone 13lb, that said my bmi is just short of 25 which is healthy. My team say that they would be happy with me having bmi between 25 and 30. It is so weird indeed i too would be happy with the figure i have but still think my bmi and my weight should be lower according to all the health sites they should be?. Steph i've not been much help as i don't really know myself what the answer is. i'm just going to keep going as i am for another bit and see what happens! I think its about us and how we feel about ourselves if we are happy then that should be our ultimate goal and we should then go into maintaining mode alien as it may be for us all. xx

I'd love to be a size 10. Size 8 would I think be too tiny even for me.

Personally I'd just go with what my body wants to do...to settle down to it's base-line weight whilst eating happily and healthily.......normally!

I want in the long term not to even to have to think about it!

hiya, that sounds a bit better, cos if you think about it, if you were to have a tummy tuck, youd probably be around the 9stone mark after it anyway, so youd be at goal then wouldnt u. will u go for a tummy tuck, or leave it till you have a baby,, or havent you thought that far ahead yet. like you say, the gynae would probably help you now anyway. good luck with it, and i hope you have a really happy outcome huni. love n hugs x

Thanks guys xx
I always said that I wasnt going to go for the skin removal, there are so many ways to hide it under clothing and hubby still looks at me naked, gets aroused and says that I am very sexy, even with all of this skin, so as I can hide it away and hubby thinks its sexy and Im not totally disgusted by it then I dont think Ill apply for it. Obviously if we came into a great deal of money then I would be on the surgeons table quick smart lol But Im not planning on applying for funded surgery no. My next big aim is to become a mum, I dont think that my weight loss has done anything to my fertility as my gynae (and her colleagues) almost guaranteed me that it would. My periods havent regulated and my 'bits' seem to be working in the same way as they were seven stone ago! So I think I have a long road to hoe to get there but that is my next goal as my body clock isnt just ticking, it is chiming as loud as big ben lol Im waiting until I have hit twelve months though as I told my surgeon that I would and I want to make sure that my bloods prove at that point that I am nourishing myself well enough to nourish a child too.
So yep, sounds a bit like Ive made my mind up already doesnt it lol
Steph xx

P.S if I got to 10st and the odd pound escaped here and there I wouldnt panic, a couple of pounds either side would be fine.

I still daren't think about goals. When I was a size 30 I imagined that I would be delighted to be a size 20 for the rest of my life. It seemed a normalish place to be and I didn't dream I could ever be smaller than that.
Now I'm wearing a 16 in most things, I wonder where it will all stop.

You must be thrilled to be so close to such a tiny number as 10 stones! Well done :)

You must be thrilled to be so close to such a tiny number as 10 stones! Well done :)

Thrilled...a HUGE yes hehe
Shocked and expecting to wake up from this wonderful dream any second...HELL YES!!!
I still dont believe its actually happening and I sometimes have to look in the mirror real quick to check that Im not imagining it...nine and a half months down and I just cant get used to it lol
Steph xx

Aww thank you Allie xx
I think I am in a good head space for it actually, I sooooooooo want to be a mummy, I just so so want it...BUT...I am happy with my life with hubby and so if we arent blessed with a child then, even though it would hurt lots, Im not the kind of person that sees it as a "if kids dont come along I dont know what Ill do, I HAVE to have kids", yes, it is something that means a LOT to me, but I will go on well in life if it doesnt, so I feel that I am very well balanced in that sense.
Steph xx

I have no idea what my goal weight should really be. I always thought 8 stone 13 pounds was perfect but my personal trainer disagrees and thinks that 10 stone would be perfect for my build. I just cannot get over being 10 stone and still being considered overweight by BMI standards. My trainer hates BMI and thinks it is completely useless as it doesn't take anything about the person into account.

Right now I weigh less than I have ever since I became a mum for the first time 12 years ago. It is a fantastic feeling to go in a shop and be able to buy a size 10 dress or a size medium top. If I stopped losing weight now, I would accept it. But I would love to see how much further I could go.

Good luck on becoming a mum. My kids are all IVF kids and I am so blessed to be their mum.

I was told by 2 different plastic surgeons that I had at least 2 stone of excess skin last time I lost all my weight, so I know without removing it, I will never get to my ideal BMI - and to be honest I don't care xx

BMI is next to pointless in many ways, as if you are fit an mucular, it does not take this into account...

For example, my friends hubby works out big time and is like Vin Diesel in build, eats healthy and execises all the time yet he weighs 17 stone.

This makes his BMI about 34, which is obese...

TOTAL TRIPE!

Its just numbers...you will know when you feel comfortable.....

Thanks for the replies xx
Yeah hubby and I have said that, they dont take into account muscles etc
I just love that I am so much healthier, mobile and happy, that is also what the nurse and dietician told me to concentrate on, they said that I have done really well and should now stop thinking about lbs etc and just enjoy my new healthier life.
Stupid BMI measurements!
Steph xx

P.S Fat Again...see, if you can carry two stone around in your spare skin I can understand that, my tummy isnt totally floppy but is pretty much all skin now, but thick skin and it is heavy, so if my tummy alone is that heavy, imagine all of it added together.

Hi Steph

I'm down to 10st 2 and a size 12, my bmi is 26. I am happy with my size and don't feel any pressure to maintain this weight, I'm kind of just thinking well if more comes off then it comes off. I was told that my weight would balance out when my body found the natural weight for me (I have big bones LOL). I think just keep doing what your doing and if you lose more then bonus and if your weight sticks to where you are now then you're still happy. You look fantastic by the way.

Well done Steph... you look brilliant... and lovely inside and out! Just do whatever you are happy with and ENJOY it, you have worked so hard alongside everyone else and it's a fantastic result... I am so happy for you and all xxx

Back