• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

How much is too far

hopelesscase

When i started out on my journey i wanted to get to a healthy BMI. Foolishly what i didnt do was calculate where that would put me weight wise.
Now was that because psycologically i never thought i would get there i dont know.
Any way as i am now 138lbs i have a BMI of 27.9 which puts me at mid range of overweight. Im happy at the size that i am but im very consiouse that i still dont have a healthy BMI.
I recon i have about a stone of excess skin
but even with that accounted for or if im lucky chopped off it would still give me a BMI of 25 which is the high side of normal.
To get slap bang in the middle of normal i would have to be 102lbs. Now personally i think im small enough as it is im fitting into a size 10 bottoms and a 12 top.
But in reality how much is too far?

Don't forget that the BMI scale is not designed for undertall people ;) You won't get an accurate idea of what is 'normal' from it, you would be better looking at either the old style height-weight ratio charts or just going by your clothes and how you feel.

Don't forget that the BMI scale is not designed for undertall people ;) You won't get an accurate idea of what is 'normal' from it, you would be better looking at either the old style height-weight ratio charts or just going by your clothes and how you feel.

you mean short arses!!!!!:eek::p

Go with how you feel and others say you look.I dont think you would look or feel right at 102 lbs!Thats only 7st 3lb.You would look ill.Were you ever 7st?Maz x

That is a good question Carole as I have used BMI to guide me more than weight. I have to say this, I REALLY think that 102lbs would be way too thin for you! If I were your tiny self I would see how the next few months go, are you still losing, do you feel good at that size, etc. Because in all reality your body will find the natural stopping point for your weight loss and it may be long before you reach a 'healthy' BMI. And you know how to put the brakes on if you want to stop weight coming off, just up your simple carb intake and eat higher calorie items.

I would say only you know what feels right for you and what size/weight/BMI feels like home!

Nic:D

It depends on lots of things, I think. My bestest friend is 5'2" and weighs 8 stone 0 pounds (I know, we do look funny together!) She used to weigh 10 stone and looked terrible, she now looks amazing. But, she is a dog-walker and is very fit so I think she has lost a lot of weight (for her size) and gained muscle that weighs more. By the couple of photos I have seen of you, I think you look fantastic. Too thin is horrible. (hahaha..... get me, giving advice on being too thin, who am I kidding! hahaha!)

Great question Carole,

I think you are tiny as you are, and cant imagine you another 30 odd pounds lighter.

Having said that, I too am focused at the minute on reaching a healthy BMI because that is what we have been led to believe is good for us.

Do you intend to try to get the loose skin removed at some time in the future or are you happy to live with it. I guess that needs to have some bearing on your decision as to how low you wish to take your weight.

I will be very interested to read the responses you get Carole x

i thinkyou should be swayed by how you physically feel rather than a chart if you feel you have hit a weight you are happy with and feel really healthy at i dont see the point into fitting into a statistic , we are all different shapes and i dont think following bmi is always right. iv now set a goal weight which will still leave me overweight but a weight i know i will be happy at good luck whatever you decid

Ooooh Carole

This hadnt come up until yesterday with a less than satisfactory visit to my gp.

I have tried to keep a goal weight or bmi out of my mind but it seems my gp (who incidentally wasnt the one to refer me) has decided what my goal is!

Im 5ft 3 and he wants me to get to 70k and for me thats a bmi of 27.8. Well if I get to that and look as good as you do I will be chuffed, I dont think I would want to go any lower than that though regardless of whether it is regarded a healthy bmi or not. I was comfortable in my skin when I was that size before, although this time lol there will no doubt be a lot more skin :|

It does worry me though that the surgeons and wl people say to expect a loss of 70% of excess weight and by my calculations, that probably isnt going to get me to the goal my gp has set.

TBH I am being so good, l:confused:bbux to him, I am going in the right direction, I ve not had this surgery to please him.... i want to acheive this for me... If I get to his target then all well and good and if I dont as long as I have lost at least 70% of the excess weight I am carrying I will still regard it a success.

You look amazing Carole. If you are happy with the way you look and feel (and if i were you I would be more than) then I really wouldnt sweat losing a whopping 30lbs just to fit nicely into his pre determined pigeon hole.

Take care Xx

Oooh thanks for that Sue

it shows I have a large frame, that surprises me I thought it would be medium. So I have to add 10% to my bmi for it to be more realistic :)

OK, I'm a large frame which I guessed actually coz I've got hands like mitts!

I'm just going to go until I feel good. I'd quite like a bit of weight on me, maybe 11-11.5stone but I want to feel fit and healthy.

Its a tough question and is going to be different for every person.

I am 6 foot 2 and now weigh 17.5 stone which gives me a BMI of 31.5.... To get under 25 on the BMI scale I have to weigh 13.5 stone! Thats another 4 stone off! I dont have a clue how I will look at that weight or how long it is going to take me to get there, but what if my body doesnt stop losing weight at that point?

I wouldnt want to be 12 or 11 stone....

But i dont think i will get that light because i train 5 times a week and am building quite alot of muscle......

Its an interesting question that i honestly dont have the answer to...

But Carole, when I saw you in Bury the other day, I explained to my girlfriends mum who you were and she said "Thats amazing, she looks totally normal now" and to me you did look totally normal and I would never class you as overweight in anyway.

I understand the excess skin problem but if i was you and your height, i wouldnt take too much attention to the BMI as you wouldnt look right at 7.5 stone! you look great now :)

thanks for your replies everyone they have been very helpful and also thanks for the lovely comments.
As i said i am happy at the size i am and at this moment in time i think i really do want to have my excess skin removed but am not even going to think about it for at least 12 months as i know i am still changing shape.
i think today was one of thoes reality check moments that a healthy BMI isnt necssarily going to happen purly because i think it would be too much.
thanks
carole

The Dr at my weight management clinic said when i have had my gastric bypass i would lose at the most 7-8 stone.
Which will make me around 13 stone. But that means i will still be classed as obese with a BMI of around 33 :eek:
God i hope i can get lower than that can't have tummy tuck on the NHS until i get my BMI to 28 :sigh:

If its any consilation our start weight is similar you are 5 inches taller than me and i have lost 11 stone. Its all about how you use your tool.
they normally say 70 to 80% of yr excess weight and if i based my ideal on being 102 lbs i have lost exactly 80% of my excess weight.

BMI is a number. In real terms, like Shel says, it doesn't take into account height, frame etc. I am almost 47 years old and know that eventually, when I do lose the 4.5 stone I need to lose and hit the magic healthy number, I could ptentially look like a scraggy old hag. My skin elasticity bounced away a few years ago!

So, in summary, don't worry about the number, enjoy the new you. You look amazing, shine confidence and your eyes sparkle and say it all. You rock it gf! xx

The Dr at my weight management clinic said when i have had my gastric bypass i would lose at the most 7-8 stone.
Which will make me around 13 stone. But that means i will still be classed as obese with a BMI of around 33 :eek:
God i hope i can get lower than that can't have tummy tuck on the NHS until i get my BMI to 28 :sigh:

I started at your exact weight & I am 3 inches taller, I have lost 10 stone which is 105% of my excess weight! So have faith it can be done.

Nic:D

I was having a chat with the nutritionist at the Whittington last week during my checkup and I mentioned my personal goal weight which is 11 stone - she seemed to think that would be fine for me. Of course, anything more than that will be fab but if a medic is saying that at 5ft 3,a BMI of 27.3 is acceptable then thats works for me!

Back