• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Using NHS surgeons privately

Westy31

Hey, I was just wondering if it's possible to book in with an NHS consultant direct at your local hospital for private surgery or if you have to go through a provider like the Spire??

I'd love to price private surgery at my own hospital...... Can that be done??

most surgeons travel around to hospitals to perform surgery. I would suggest you find a surgeon first and then select a hospital they perform.
Most surgeons have private contact details.
best wishes,

I would also say contact the surgeon first, you may have to go through Spire for the first consultation, but i think after that you can talk with the surgeon about what hospital you want to be treated at. Most of the time it shouldn't be a problem to have private treatment at your local nhs hospital, as long as the consultant has all the right paper work etc and a contract in place to be able to treat patients in the private patients unit. I know a friend who was advised to have the surgery in the private unit attached to the local nhs hospital. so i would say go for it

First I choose the surgeon, prof Ammori after doing oodles of research then I went directly him. I phoned his secretary and arranged an appt at one of the private hospitals, paid directly to him (I think £150 for an initial consultation) then had the choice of two hospitals based on their status ie the Spire had "excellence" so it was £950 more expensive. I choose the cheaper option and have no regrets at all.
I received two invoices , one for the hospital services and one for the surgeon approx 50% each.
Good luck :)

Most NHS consultants do private work but not all.
I would suggest looking at your local private hospitals then at who does bariatric surgery. A chat with your GP might let you get some insider info on the surgeon as an individual.

Choose your surgeon, or the hospital and then see which surgeons they use....maybe then see which providers use that surgeon at which location and compare costs. I picked my surgeon first, having the op via a provider was a grand cheaper than booking it direct with a private hospital, and the hospitals are about 5 miles apart...

Back