• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

very confused about waiting lists !!!

angelpie

I first saw consultant early may at st richards. we discussed things and he asked me which op I wanted. I didnt know at the time as I didnt think I had a choice.
He said I had to keep a food diary, to get me eating 3 meals a day, as I was a grazer ( ate all day ). He said I also had to see Psychologist.
I saw dietician in june, we discussed bypass as I have lots of milkshakes and I aggreed.
I then had questionairres to fill in from psych.
early july I saw anethetist, and saw psych 24th july they both said no problems and I thought yippie and was told pre op app next.
I phoned the secretary to ask when my op would be, she said, When your consultant reads the reports tomorrow, he will put you on waiting list ????.
Am I being stupid by thinking I was on waiting list from May, as my surgeon said the op would be done by the summer!.

I am so confused and depressed. love Karen x.

Oh Karen dont worry they all have their own ways of managing waiting lists.
You will be on the surgeons list from tomorrow and that shouldnt take too long, at least it doesnt seem to.
Keep your chin up it will come round soon enough.
Good luck

Jay xx

Soz karen i have no idea how ur hospital and pct operate can u not call the bariatric nurse or bariatric co ordinator, you dont mention bout funding being granted has that been sorted out already.
I would def call up tomorrow and see what is going on as sometimes the secretary`s can be a bit lapse and need reminding.
Hope u get it sorted out soon, take care luv Roch xxx

Hi Karen. Yes I have to say, wonderful as St Richards is, their organisational skills leave a lot to be desired! I was referred July 2008, saw Mr Slater end April 2009, saw Head of Services and anathetist 31 July and am due to see dietician and psychologist 18 August. The head of services told me it would be another 4 months before the op (meaning Nov 2009), yet when I was referred back in July 2008, I was led to believe the op would be done by Jan 2009! And of course, everytime you have to go to one of these appointments it means another day off work and £20 on the train. Why can't they do all the appointments on the same day to save time and money if you have to travel from afar???

Dont they have to work in the 18 week time frame once you are on the list?Wont be long now.

hi karen. im worried now as well as im under same hospital etc. would it help to ring again and try to clarify things. might help put your mind at rest xx

hi all
my experience with st richards is as follows:
Saw gp back in may 08 and saw surgeon in jan 09 was told would be done and dusted at the most within 5 months.
Never heard anything so in may i phoned a year since seeing gp and she said on your not on list?
3 days later got letter i had to see anaesitist on may31.
Saw his given ok and then got a phone call to say op on 27th Aug 09 so got pre op tomorrow. The admin at st richards seems to be so unorganised. Hope this helps and good luck

also the 18 week rule donsnt apply to bariatric surgery as its classed as elective surgery (sorry)

Karen seems your PCT isnt the most organised bunch. Might be a good idea to ring them and see where you are in the process. At least it will put your mind at ease, also ask them the next step in the process

There is an 18 week ruling but a lot of PCTs dont stick to it as they are not obliged to. :(

Hi Karen, sorry you're feeling a little confused. I would be too. I don't know how the waiting list works at St Richards but at least you've had the all clear from everyone else. This should make it alot easier once you are on the list. Hope it does'nt take too long before they give you your datexxxx

Frustration in waiting lists - or is it administration?

I have a similarly frustrating story as a coupled I have noted that have been posted recently.

My referral was received for Bariatric surgery back in March and I first saw the consultant in April.

In May I saw the dietician and then June saw the pysch. In May I also had a gallbladder scan to check that I did indeed have gallstones and handed back all the paper work at my second appointment in May to ensure safe delivery of the report (!)

I was told back in July that I was going back on the waiting list as the consultant had only just seen all my paper work at that point and approved the surgery and that was because i'd had to have the gall bladder scan? (which should be an investigativate proceedure and therefore come under the 18 weeks - not that it seems to exist at all).

I still have not seen the anethnetist and am beginning to wonder if I am ever going to get any further than this point, and if so when?

Now am I being daft here or something, because I thought that I'd been approved for surgery back on April 17th when I orginally saw the surgeon.
I have been advised that there have been some 'administrative' errors on my case, but no apology, no date given for my next round of appointments and to be honest, I am getting just a tad peeved now. I do appreciate that there are very very long lists and we should be grateful that we are being offered surgery but I do find that the length of unmeasured time on the waiting list is wrong.

When I telephone the surgeons secretary all I get advised is that I'm not on the list of phone calls for that day (well to be honest, it doesnt take a brain surgeon to work that one out) all I want to know is, when am I going to get a letter to advise of my next appointment to go and see the anesthnestic (or however its spelt) and finally an op date.

Come on St. Richards, get yourselves organised.

I am extremely frustrated as some of my friends and acquaintences have had appointments with the London hospitals about 2-3 months after mine and are having surgery imminently (a given date - what a thing to treasure) or have already had the surgery. If they can do it why can't St. Richards?

I'm now left feeling not only frustrated and peeved but slightly angered that a good time slot has gone (as I work in a school and have all those 6 weeks as leave, thus lessening the burden on the tax payer further with leave during the term) and also for my children it would have been an easier time for child care.

I have a similarly frustrating story as a coupled I have noted that have been posted recently.

My referral was received for Bariatric surgery back in March and I first saw the consultant in April.

In May I saw the dietician and then June saw the pysch. In May I also had a gallbladder scan to check that I did indeed have gallstones and handed back all the paper work at my second appointment in May to ensure safe delivery of the report (!)

I was told back in July that I was going back on the waiting list as the consultant had only just seen all my paper work at that point and approved the surgery and that was because i'd had to have the gall bladder scan? (which should be an investigativate proceedure and therefore come under the 18 weeks - not that it seems to exist at all).

I still have not seen the anethnetist and am beginning to wonder if I am ever going to get any further than this point, and if so when?

Now am I being daft here or something, because I thought that I'd been approved for surgery back on April 17th when I orginally saw the surgeon.
I have been advised that there have been some 'administrative' errors on my case, but no apology, no date given for my next round of appointments and to be honest, I am getting just a tad peeved now. I do appreciate that there are very very long lists and we should be grateful that we are being offered surgery but I do find that the length of unmeasured time on the waiting list is wrong.

When I telephone the surgeons secretary all I get advised is that I'm not on the list of phone calls for that day (well to be honest, it doesnt take a brain surgeon to work that one out) all I want to know is, when am I going to get a letter to advise of my next appointment to go and see the anesthnestic (or however its spelt) and finally an op date.

Come on St. Richards, get yourselves organised.

I am extremely frustrated as some of my friends and acquaintences have had appointments with the London hospitals about 2-3 months after mine and are having surgery imminently (a given date - what a thing to treasure) or have already had the surgery. If they can do it why can't St. Richards?

I'm now left feeling not only frustrated and peeved but slightly angered that a good time slot has gone (as I work in a school and have all those 6 weeks as leave, thus lessening the burden on the tax payer further with leave during the term) and also for my children it would have been an easier time for child care.

Hi teapot. Do you mind me asking if you're going private or NHS only from how I read it, you were referred in March, saw the consultant a month later, then the dietician and psychotherapist all within a short time span (4-5 months?). Whereas I was referred in July 2008, saw consultant in April 2009, the anethatist in July and the psychotharapist in August (13-14 months). That is a hell of a difference time scale!
I would agree that, despite its excellent reputation for surgery, St Richards is let down badly by its administration.
I've been told its likely to be November before I have the op now - 15 months after the initial referral. It does seem unfair when it seems others are being seen a lot quicker.

At St Richards they try to do op within 18 weeks once you are on active surgery list - that is once you have seen everyone you need to see (psych, dietician etc), all the reports are done and the final recommendations have been made. However, with demand far outstripping supply the reality of achieving this is not likely - the wait is agonising, but the care and expertise are worth waiting for. I don't think they will re-open their doors to new patients until they have caught up with themselves...

Just a shame that some of the admin staff could be a little more approachable on the phone...

I am sure they will see you soon...

Hi Julie (from Another Julie aka Teapot1966) I'm on the NHS, but I've been having an interesting conversation with them all this morning. Just phoned to ask where I am on the list as so to speak and by which date was the latest that I could expect surgery, the answer : January.
I think it does depend which PCT you are with (so chichester is one of my local ones) and the doctors surgery (if they are able to buy the funding quicker) and various other things.
I was advised by the Pysch that I was down for surgery by 20 August so you can understand my disappointment and annoyance when that has happened, but if she has told me that, then surely, it has been written somewhere on my notes (!) Subsequent conversations with the secretaries at Chichester went something like, how the hell did the pysch have the authority to tell me this info when it was wrong and that because I'd had a gall bladder scan (which is an investigative proceedure nothing more)results of which they had hand delivered at my second appt with Dietician that i'd been placed on hold and finally put on list in July ? (what the heck was I doing in the meantime?) I've also been advised that there have been administrative error (whatever that means) on my case (!)
This morning I've telephoned PCT who approve funding and asked if they have had the funding by which date does that expire ? And also, how can I have been told the information but then its disregarded the next minute - what are they playing at.
I sound very ungrateful, I'm not, I'm just really really frustrated at being told one thing, getting myself mentally prepared and then being let down time in time out, and putting my life on hold because the appointments the have sent out have been at really short notice. You just can't live your life like that.
I don't understand in your case Julie, how on earth you can have been waiting that long. It seems ridiculous. Some people I know who had surgery didnt have the pysch assessment or the dietician, they just had one consultation and then surgery (again they waited over 15 months)
I think St Richards admin has something very very wrong with it and they really need to close the lists until they have cleared everyone off the waiting list and then re open. I know that lists have been or were temporarily closed but that isnt sufficient if they can't sort the problem with what's there currently.
I'm glad its not just me getting frustrated but if other hospitals can stick to appointment times then surely they can?
Of course, they could be taking on too much work, privately, tv work and too many other areas referring to St Richards. They seem to have spread themselves very very thinly and those waiting are suffering.
I'm going to stop moaning now I know others are waiting longer and apologise if I've upset anyone on here.
My point is though, that surely there has to be a time scale and proceedure that they are obliged to keep to and if they are being overwhelmed then its not fair on those already on the list if more people are being pushed past.
Close the lists, clear the lists and then get some proper admin in place. In addition, more bariatric places need to be available at other hospitals and in other PCT's so you havent got area health area converging on one because that is naturally going to cause total gridlock!

Hi Julie (from Another Julie aka Teapot1966) I'm on the NHS, but I've been having an interesting conversation with them all this morning. Just phoned to ask where I am on the list as so to speak and by which date was the latest that I could expect surgery, the answer : January.
I think it does depend which PCT you are with (so chichester is one of my local ones) and the doctors surgery (if they are able to buy the funding quicker) and various other things.
I was advised by the Pysch that I was down for surgery by 20 August so you can understand my disappointment and annoyance when that has happened, but if she has told me that, then surely, it has been written somewhere on my notes (!) Subsequent conversations with the secretaries at Chichester went something like, how the hell did the pysch have the authority to tell me this info when it was wrong and that because I'd had a gall bladder scan (which is an investigative proceedure nothing more)results of which they had hand delivered at my second appt with Dietician that i'd been placed on hold and finally put on list in July ? (what the heck was I doing in the meantime?) I've also been advised that there have been administrative error (whatever that means) on my case (!)
This morning I've telephoned PCT who approve funding and asked if they have had the funding by which date does that expire ? And also, how can I have been told the information but then its disregarded the next minute - what are they playing at.
I sound very ungrateful, I'm not, I'm just really really frustrated at being told one thing, getting myself mentally prepared and then being let down time in time out, and putting my life on hold because the appointments the have sent out have been at really short notice. You just can't live your life like that.
I don't understand in your case Julie, how on earth you can have been waiting that long. It seems ridiculous. Some people I know who had surgery didnt have the pysch assessment or the dietician, they just had one consultation and then surgery (again they waited over 15 months)
I think St Richards admin has something very very wrong with it and they really need to close the lists until they have cleared everyone off the waiting list and then re open. I know that lists have been or were temporarily closed but that isnt sufficient if they can't sort the problem with what's there currently.
I'm glad its not just me getting frustrated but if other hospitals can stick to appointment times then surely they can?
Of course, they could be taking on too much work, privately, tv work and too many other areas referring to St Richards. They seem to have spread themselves very very thinly and those waiting are suffering.
I'm going to stop moaning now I know others are waiting longer and apologise if I've upset anyone on here.
My point is though, that surely there has to be a time scale and proceedure that they are obliged to keep to and if they are being overwhelmed then its not fair on those already on the list if more people are being pushed past.
Close the lists, clear the lists and then get some proper admin in place. In addition, more bariatric places need to be available at other hospitals and in other PCT's so you havent got area health area converging on one because that is naturally going to cause total gridlock!

Hi teapot (or Julie part 2!)
Please feel free to rant and moan all you like - its only what other people are feeling too. It does seem ridiculous that there seems to be different timescales for different people. If it means no operation till Jan 2010, that would have been an 18 - month wait - I could be dead by then of a heart attack!!! I have to go and see my doctor on Tuesday - I think I might ask if he can intervene and find out where I am in terms of waiting times etc. If I find anything out I will let people know ok?

Duh, silly me i've just realised I've replied to this twice ... sorry guys, I'm new to all this.

Hi teapot. Do you mind me asking if you're going private or NHS only from how I read it, you were referred in March, saw the consultant a month later, then the dietician and psychotherapist all within a short time span (4-5 months?). Whereas I was referred in July 2008, saw consultant in April 2009, the anethatist in July and the psychotharapist in August (13-14 months). That is a hell of a difference time scale!
I would agree that, despite its excellent reputation for surgery, St Richards is let down badly by its administration.
I've been told its likely to be November before I have the op now - 15 months after the initial referral. It does seem unfair when it seems others are being seen a lot quicker.

Hi, Its NHS. It does all seem to be faster than some however, apparently at the beginning of the year they changed the way the lists are dealt with (although not sure about that now). I've completed everything now that I need to just waiting for pre-op. All the details went back to Shaw Somers early July and I was put on a further 'list' at that point.

Hi teapot (or Julie part 2!)
Please feel free to rant and moan all you like - its only what other people are feeling too. It does seem ridiculous that there seems to be different timescales for different people. If it means no operation till Jan 2010, that would have been an 18 - month wait - I could be dead by then of a heart attack!!! I have to go and see my doctor on Tuesday - I think I might ask if he can intervene and find out where I am in terms of waiting times etc. If I find anything out I will let people know ok?

Thank you for that. I kind of felt a little bad having read everyone else' stories on timescales. I know that I'm on the active list. I asked my GP to write, but to be honest it had no effect whatsoever. The admin staff on the lists at Chichester seem to be a rule unto themselves and ignore everything.
I'd go directly to the PCT where the funding was given from in all honesty.

Back