• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Very surprised!!!

catapult

I spoke to the dietition yesterday and was very surprised at what she said.

According to her there is no malabsorbtion of calories with a RNY. All weightloss is due to initial reduction in food intake and that your metabolism changes with the reduction and that when you eventually start to eat normal foods (over a period of time) your metabolism catches up with your reduced food intake and your weight stableises.

Which is probably why my weight loss is so poor. There is no restriction therefore no apreciable weight loss.

Vitamins and minerals will always be malabsorbed.

I asked what is the point of a bypass then? Why not just do a sleevectomy? Why go through all that just so that you can not absorbe vitamins etc?

According to her it is still the 'gold standard' operation because 'if anything goes wrong they can stitch the stomach back together'. WTF!!! All that on the off chance something goes wrong?

Since I had my by-pass last August I have lost a grand total of 5kg and that is by shear willpower :sigh: rather than the by-pass working as a restriction. Anyone on a normal diet could have done better.

I just want the bl**dy thing to work as it should :cry::cry::cry::cry:

How bizarre! What about all the research into hormonal and bacterial changes? If it is only the restriction why haven't they abandoned it in place of the sleeve? Strange!

Is there anything I can do to help?

Gosh! I'm surprised too. That's not what my dietician said however. She said there is only malabsorbtion of calories for the first 1-2 years, after which the body adapts and sort of 'resets it self' - her words. Whatever the truth of the matter, even clinicians do not yet fully understand why the bypass works so well. There is so much research being done, and new information is arising all the time. I am also confident that it is not the gold standard because it can be reversed to a certain extent, but rather because statistically it still provides the best results, and is tried and tested.
How frustrating for you to hear that.
89% EWL is amazing, I'd be so thrilled with that. Especially considering the stats for the bypass is only 70% ewl on average. I was told by my team that band to bypass conversions do not normally lead to 100% loss, again they dont know why.

Last edited:
That goes against everything I've been told at both of my dietician workshops, may I ask where you had your surgery?
Wishing you well x

Yes definately odd and frustraiting lol

Although not perfect I have tried really hard to not over eat and tbh haver managed pretty well for me lol. So I know that the megre weightloss I have had is pathetic.

Compared to a lot of other by-passers I didn't need to lose that much weight and in all honesty I was realy looking for restriction and portion control rather than rapid weightloss. Because if I had been able to control my portion sizes I wouldn't have needed surgical intervention!!

The dietition said she would rather I carry on as I am and come to see her if my portions start to get larger. Why? She can't stop me eating more. I can't even do that for any length of time so what she thinks she can do I don't know, even hypnotherapy didn't touch the sides of my eating problems :(

Oh well I shall just have to see what the surgeon/consultant says in May.

Back