• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Why are NHS procedures (such as WLS) considered free?

Anita75

Sorry for the silly question, I’m sure it's already been asked and probably, answered too. Why are NHS procedures considered free? I for one have worked all my life and pay a huge amount in taxes, some of it going towards the national health service. I've never had any sort of operations or treatments from hospitals apart from my recent gastric band - and I’m sorry, but I feel like I’ve put the money in, why aren't I entitled to get something back? the only reason I ask is that I’ve read a number of posts where people seem to be ashamed, or embarrassed, or somehow feel wrong for having had their op on the NHS/or that it is ok to be treated like a 2nd class citizens by nasty bariatric nurses/doctors etc just because they're not paying £10k. 1. we (or at least most of us - I’m sure) contribute/pay in taxes; and 2. the whole point of the medical profession is to remedy ailments/or at least try to help us if we need it, which we do.

I’ve just never for once, thought of my operation as ‘free’ or that I’m exploiting the system… if they don’t want to invest the money back when I need it, then the Gov shouldn’t take it directly from my salary on a monthly basis. Why should you have to pay twice for an operation (i.e. we contribute towards keeping the NHS going, and then having to pay again to have it done privately? MADNESS)

I’m sure a lot of people will probably will disagree with me, but I’m interested to know.

Anyway, rant over – thanks for listening (or should that be reading?). :)

I absolutely agree with you! It does annoy me though when people who haven't paid in to the system are still entitled to the same level of care as those who have...

My Grandparents parents etc always worked very hard, and although I'm a full time mum at present I have also paid in, and will continue to do so for many years to follow - however when my mum was ill with cancer, she couldn't even get her stamp paid!!!

Totally with you Anita,My dad worked down the mines and died at 46.My inlaws worked all their lives,so has my hubby,I have worked and dont feel im getting something for nothing.This NHS is the envy of the world(why do so many come from elsewhere to use/abuse it.Dont tell me they dont my hubs has relatives that emigrated to Canada in the 50s!But still come HOME for medical/dental reasons.Strange they always have an illness when over here on holiday.And a relative married a girl from US as soon a she could she was getting all sorts of dental work done and moaning cos she had to be in the country for so long before she could go to university.She thought she would walk straight in.I am proud of the NHS and have always been treated with the utmost care and respect.Please if you are from another country dont feel I am having a go at you,but we all know the systems get abused.

think i best leave now then. i left school at 16 and paid but havent for the last 3yrs cos of the depression and hubby leaving. although its only now im on my own i get any finacial help.x

Mandy the NHS is free at the point of delivery for everyone whether or not you have paid any social security contributions and there are many women in particular who haven't personally as they are full time homemakers. However women in particular ( and some men) also pay their dues in the unpaid caring role they provide which saves the government millions each year. So you need never be backwards at coming forward to use NHS services either in cash or kind you contribute towards them.

M

Hi Anita

First of all well done on your loss, you are doing really well!

I agree with what you are saying, however with regard to weight loss surgery the policies over who gets funding differ significantly between the different PCT's for instance in my PCT I would have to have a BMI of 65+ as I have no co morbidities. If I lived in the next county it would be totally different.

With the help of money from my mum (who has never worked but has brought up 5 children who do) who is housebound and disabled due to her weight I was able to fund my surgery (will take a long time to pay off though). Some of the people on here have coped with so much to get their funding and others are facing an uphill battle of appeals etc having been turned down.

Unfortunately not all PCTs have the funding available to follow the NICE guidlines. Im so grateful to my mum who lives in the next county and just didnt want me to end up like her. Although she would 'qualify' she has been told that there would be too bigger risk of her dying from surgery.

Maz x

Hi Anita
I agree with you too. I paid for my op but i don't grudge anyone their op on the NHS because i may have needed to go the same route myself and they are entitled to have something back. Those of us who are able to and have paid our taxes and chose to say smoke and need healthcare as a result or have wls surgery are not inferior beings our money is the same as the next so are our tax contributions so what's the difference? The people who cheat and i mean knowingly cheat the system then i would have something to say there. Mandy you have an illness and i'm sure you would be out there if emoyionally you could be so don't feel guilty x
CCPM i agree with your point my mum went blind aged 35 and could never work again but my dad paid his dues for over 60 years and as far as i'm concerned he paid enough for my mum too x

Hear Hear Anita like you paid huge amounts of tax and inland revenue for over 40 years, and am happy that I am entitled to the surgery I am having. That is why we pay taxes etc. The majority of us are getting nought for ought as they say in yorkshire.

Jay xx

Hi, probably because whether you work or not you get treatment on the NHS so it is considered 'free', yes you pay into the NHS but it doesn't mean you should automatically qualify for any treatment you desire, criteria's must be met with obesity clinics, dieticians etc etc etc and if you dont meet the criteria you dont qualify. You need to show you are 100% commited to weight loss surgery and if you are not then you should not be entitled to get the surgery on the NHS and should be made either go private or not have the surgery at all

Eileen

It is considered free because it is.

The NHS is free at point of delivery/ treatment.

Yes we all pay our NI, taxes etc but there are plenty that don't for many reasons. They are entitled to the FREE NHS just as much as we are. You can't pick and choose who gets a free service.

Therefore, WLS on the NHS is free, which ever way you look at it. It doesn't mean you are not entitled to it or that you should feel guilty for getting it.

We are very privileged to live in a country with free healthcare.

Im going private and too be honest id be very dissappointed if nhs patients got treated any different. We are all having the same operations and even the same surgeon so why should we be treated differently.

The only reason im going privately is that I have the money available to me and dont want to have to wait too long to have the surgery.

Good luck to everyone

sallie

Anita you are so right. I worked 70 hour weeks which caused me to have strokes but while I worked I payed out just like you and everyone else.If I had'nt worked I would'nt have had the strokes and then gained even more weight so I too think I've paid my dues to get this opxx

I absolutely agree with you! It does annoy me though when people who haven't paid in to the system are still entitled to the same level of care as those who have...

QUOTE]

Im struggling with this i have 2 disabled sisters although they worked for a few years when they left school due to the nature of their disabilities and it being a degenerative condition they havent worked for some years. i also work with disabled children most of them will never work and some of them their parents dont work because of their caring responcibilities.
I would hate to think that just because they had never paid into the system they got a second class service because it certainly isnt by choice that they havent

I think there are many ways that people "pay in" to the system - being a carer, parent at home, worker, whatever - it is all adding to the well being of the country.

Those of us who are disabled, need care from the system and although maybe we don't pay taxes (I do though, on my Teachers pension - which I think is WRONG as I paid tax on the money going in and now I'm paying tax on it on the way out grrr), the people around us will have and a country can only be judged by the way it treats the most vulnerable in society.

It does annoy me though that I was forced to go Private for my WLS, simply because of where I live. Postcode lottery is NOT on in my book.

I also agree that our NHS must be the envy of the world as so many people turn up at a hospital (where a friend of mine works) just about ready to give birth while on "holiday". They call it Labour Hotel.

oh well my family are a massive drain on the nhs, my wee girls cost them millions, suppose thats why people tell me she should have died as she will never be able to work.
guess i better not go applying for any surgery since im a full time carer now

I do agree (with the original post, not some of the subsequent posts about people not being entitled to it because they don't work) but do occasionally feel a little guilty about 10k being spent on me when I get kids into the centre (I'm a special needs teacher) that would seriously benefit from the cash but they can't afford the programmes we teach. I have always worked (apart from uni time!!) and do also think I deserve it but I do sometimes wonder whether I'm being selfish. Obviously if I didn't take this cash then there is no guarantees it would go to that cause.

On the matter of someone not being entitled to it because they don't work, my mum was my dad's carer for 14 years and because of this her stamp or whatever wasn't paid in full. She will only be entitled to the basic pension. How fair is that? She should've worked and got the government to pay for a carer at a great expense to the country!!
Sorry if this makes no sense!!

Last edited:
oh well my family are a massive drain on the nhs, my wee girls cost them millions, suppose thats why people tell me she should have died as she will never be able to work.

I know this is massively off-topic but just had to tell you how cute I think your daughter is!!! Cutie-pie!!!

I know this is massively off-topic but just had to tell you how cute I think your daughter is!!! Cutie-pie!!!

I agreeeee! :) xxxx

No way. As I said - people give to society in all sorts of ways and the vulnerable must be provided for by a civilised society - as well as those directly who give so much care but have a great reward in a child's developments - no matter how slight or big.

I sometimes feel bad that the NHS spends far more on my disability than I put into it (remembering a lot of my taxes go towards horrible wars and roads I don't drive on etc.) Although the whole Postcode lottery thing upsets me - those of us that need help should receive it.

Best wishes to you x

Back