• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

VSG Kings College Hospital

Hey guys I am new to all this WLS life.
I began my journey from seeing the hospital dietitan at my GP from December who then referred me to KCH.
I had my first appointment in August of which the guy told me I'd have to see their Dietitan for 6 months to get the funding excepted. He also done bloods that day and I have a lung function test next week.

I've just received the hospital letter stating they will discuss me in their Mdt meeting as well as me seeing their Dietitan and doing a tier 3 management programme.
Now he never mentioned this tier 3 thing to me. Has anyone else had to do this? And how long would the process take now? As I thought I'd be having this sleeve done a little over 6 months.
I'm so confused here!!!

Seeing the dietician is part of the tier 3 programme, which is all about weight management.

I think everyone has to do it if they are going through the NHS route.

Google your hospital and tier 3 and see what comes up but you may have to wait longer than six months for your op.

Oh right thanks so much. It's silly really as I've already been under hospital Dietitans since December.
A friend of mine done hers through Lewisham hospital and never had to do it.

I will have a look on Google again I couldn't find much on Kings college hospital.
Thanks again for your reply

Depends on your BMI and if you have co-morbidities (diabetes etc) or not as to whether you are referred to tier 3 or straight to tier 4 (surgery).

I think for direct to tier 4 you need to have a BMI of 50 or more, or 45 if you have 2 or more co-morbidities.

You need to check the NICE guidelines to be sure.

Ohh I get it.i will have a look on the guidelines well I only have polycystic ovaries and bmi is high. Guess I'll have to wait for the mdt meeting. They may change their mind. With tier 3 can you still have the surgery though? ... I'll have a look on the site thanks alot

Yes people can be referred from tier 3 to 4 depending on funding available. Differs in different areas.

I can't help with your questions as while I'm also NHS my provider did things differently to yours. But I did want to welcome you to the forums.
Good luck on your journey.

Back