• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

WAHOO a major achievment in my new life

Thanks Sue,
With you and Bob to keep me in line I'm sure I will be. I have to report to the Sandbourne Suite for 11am so would be great to say hi if you are still around. Thanks for the support to both you and Bob.

Thanks Sue,
With you and Bob to keep me in line I'm sure I will be. I have to report to the Sandbourne Suite for 11am so would be great to say hi if you are still around. Thanks for the support to both you and Bob.
Hi Penelope,
I will certainly come and look for you after my appointment. I may be to early for you tho because last time I see Dr Davies I was in and out under 2 minutes (despite having a 2 hour drive to get there lol). I am dragging hubby off to Castlepoint after wahooo, no stopping now. Some info for you on the day of admission.
When you get to the Sandbourne Suite you stay there until your op, this quite surprised me as I thought you would get sent off to your ward (will likely be ward 17) When you get there, you are weighed, the surgeon will come and have a chat with you (probably Dr Byrom) also the anaesatist will come and have a chat with you. You are given a gown to put on, and don't worry I was humungous and it fit me with fabric to spare, quite a first I can tell you. You then sit in a separate area of the Sandbourne suite. Don't be alarmed at the amount of people waiting there, there are aparrantly loads of theatres and everbody waits there for their surgery. When I saw a lot of people I thought I would be waiting forever, it doesn't work like that so don't worry. Because I was so overweight and a bigger risk I was the only one in a particular theatre that day. I was called at 1.30 which is the time afternoon surgery begins. You then walk to theatre its not at all far. When you get to theatre you clamber (sorry, climb) on the bed. The anaesatist team (quite a lot of them, 5 or 6 I think), then put a canula in the back of each hand and put a couple of sticky things on you. You are then given a mask and asked to take some deep breaths. You can hold this mask yourself if you prefer, I wanted to because I needed to feel I had some control. The team there talk to you all the time and put you at ease, then off you are to noddy land. When you wake up you are in recovery, you stay there for about 20 minutes or so after you are awake then you are sent to the ward. Be warned at night the ward is incredibly noisy, if you have ear muffs I would take them cos you will need them. If you are in pain just ask, they will give you pain relief whenever you need it, I was one of the lucky ones and had no pain at all. They use oral morphine and paracematol for pain relief, actually I lied I did ask for some morphine at bed time to help me sleep because of the noise. Maybe I was just unlucky with the noise I don't know. There were machines bleeping everywhere, one patient was sleeping on an inflatable mattress that whistled in line with her snoring lol. I suppose it really just depends on the patients needs when you are in there to how much noise there is lol. The surgeon will come around the next morning and check on you. I also had Tuesday afternoon surgery and was allowed home Thursday morning. Before you go home you are asked to watch a video on self injecting (for DVT) they also like to see you do one yourself before you go home. Don't know the procedure if someone is doing it for you. I was sent home with 7 needles and a bright yellow box to put them in after use. I was also sent home with some Omaprazole capsules(to protect stomach lining) some parecetamol and a bottle of morphine. Hope any of this helps, but really try not to worry because I found in my experience they really do look after you.
I will come and look for you after my appointment, good luck

Sue xx

Thanks Sue thats really great to know. At least the other half will be able to stay around to make sure I made it out again and then he can head home and reasure the kids and my parents. Like you we have a drive to the hospital and thankfully my date coincides with a weeks leave for him so he can pop back for me with out having to arrange time off. If we leave here about 9 - 9.30 we should be there by 10 - 10.30 so can meet you in the cafe by the outpatients area or in the suite if you prefer, no doubt I will be bricking it by then and the distraction will be even more appreciated. I was wondring what the proceedure was for the suite. Do I really need two bags as the web page suggests, the pre-op and post-op bags or if the other half is hanging about can I just take one and leave it with him seems a bit daft lugging in two bags however small if we don't need to?

We done you, life it too short and I'm so pleased you now feel you can start living again. You should feel so proud of yourself, you go girl!!!!!

What a lovely thread well done you have achieved so much already :) xxx

Sent from my iPhone using WLSurgery

Hi Again,
One thing that pee'd me off on Ward 17 was the pigeons in the roof, I don't know if they are in the ladies side of the ward or not though. When you get to the Snadbourne suite ask if you can be looked after by Mandy Gibson, she is an Angel with wings, so caring and lovely, really made me feel calm and collected, until of course the dreaded discovery of the wrong procedure being booked. You will be very lucky if you actually Mr Davies, seems Mr Byrom does all the donkey work and Davies does the cutting and re-plumbing. Mind you Mr Byrom is a very nice man and gave me a lot of peace and reassurance. I was in recovery for nearly 3 hours as I am not good at waking up from anaesthetics, my problem not theirs!! Back on the ward they will ask you to book meals that you cannot have, just in case they get emergency admissions, most seemed to be old men with appendicitis. We did have one poor guy snuff it just as my family came to visit. With regard to your hubby staying, they will encourage to go home and wait, they don't seem to like people hanging around in the Sandbourne. There is a Tesco, and Toby Carvery nearby so he can indulge himself if necessary or do some Man shopping at Castlepoint hehehe!! Just take your day bag with you and ask your hubby to bring the other one for the evening visit. They are pretty kool about visitors as the ward is not that busy usually. There are also a single room for high dependency and an isolation ward too. Your huby should be able to visit as soon as they make you comfortable on the ward. On the day you will arrive and be whisked away almost immediately by your admissions nurse, no time for sitting around or long emotional goodbyes, which I actually found most refreshing.

Any more help you know where to come.

Thanks Sue thats really great to know. At least the other half will be able to stay around to make sure I made it out again and then he can head home and reasure the kids and my parents. Like you we have a drive to the hospital and thankfully my date coincides with a weeks leave for him so he can pop back for me with out having to arrange time off. If we leave here about 9 - 9.30 we should be there by 10 - 10.30 so can meet you in the cafe by the outpatients area or in the suite if you prefer, no doubt I will be bricking it by then and the distraction will be even more appreciated. I was wondring what the proceedure was for the suite. Do I really need two bags as the web page suggests, the pre-op and post-op bags or if the other half is hanging about can I just take one and leave it with him seems a bit daft lugging in two bags however small if we don't need to?
Hi Penelope,
I only took one sports bag. When we got to the Sandbourne suite my hubby left me with my bag and went.(he doesn't like hospitals). Any bags you have when you go in for surgery are taken from you and labelled by hospital staff and put away safe. When you go back on the ward they get your bag for you and bring it to the ward. By the way hubby will have to be prepared for a long wait if he is staying with you, I didn't get back onto the ward till about 5.30ish. I also forgot to say another good thing, they use glue rather than stitches or staples which was a nice surprise as I have had staples before and found they hurt more than the surgery lol.
How about I meet you in the cafe at the bottom of the stairs leading up to the Sandbourne suite (main entrance). It would be nearer for you as you only have to go up the stairs/lift then. The main outpatients cafe is a bit of a trek from where you need to be as you will have heavy bags. It would be nice to meet you.
I will have a canvass tote bag with a picture of a golden retriever dog on it!!

Sue xx

Hi Again,
One thing that pee'd me off on Ward 17 was the pigeons in the roof, I don't know if they are in the ladies side of the ward or not though. When you get to the Snadbourne suite ask if you can be looked after by Mandy Gibson, she is an Angel with wings, so caring and lovely, really made me feel calm and collected, until of course the dreaded discovery of the wrong procedure being booked. You will be very lucky if you actually Mr Davies, seems Mr Byrom does all the donkey work and Davies does the cutting and re-plumbing. Mind you Mr Byrom is a very nice man and gave me a lot of peace and reassurance. I was in recovery for nearly 3 hours as I am not good at waking up from anaesthetics, my problem not theirs!! Back on the ward they will ask you to book meals that you cannot have, just in case they get emergency admissions, most seemed to be old men with appendicitis. We did have one poor guy snuff it just as my family came to visit. With regard to your hubby staying, they will encourage to go home and wait, they don't seem to like people hanging around in the Sandbourne. There is a Tesco, and Toby Carvery nearby so he can indulge himself if necessary or do some Man shopping at Castlepoint hehehe!! Just take your day bag with you and ask your hubby to bring the other one for the evening visit. They are pretty kool about visitors as the ward is not that busy usually. There are also a single room for high dependency and an isolation ward too. Your huby should be able to visit as soon as they make you comfortable on the ward. On the day you will arrive and be whisked away almost immediately by your admissions nurse, no time for sitting around or long emotional goodbyes, which I actually found most refreshing.

Any more help you know where to come.
Hi bobsbigboy,

Nice to meet some who has been 'done' lol at Bournemouth. How are you recovering, I hope it all went well for you.

Sue xx

The Bournemouth Club!!

Hi Sue I am doing good thanks 12 days on and still on fluids but did progress to some sloppy lentil soup, looked like hell tasted like heaven after all the milk and oxo's. I have had very little pain just pulling from the stitches and the bloated wind pain that we all seem to get. Hopefully next week I can begin to drive again:D. Hope you are getting on OK. Take care xx

Thanks Bob and Sue all advice gratefully received especially re the other half not sure he will make it back as he and our youngest have air cadets on a Tuesday evening and a 2hr round trip (if roads not to busy) to see a sleepy me won't be much fun for them all better for them to come Wednesday when I hopefully more with it. At least I can check on what he wants to do before hand now.
Its a date Sue, I'm a brunette and will probably have a cream bag with purple, pink and blue spots on it.

Back