• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Waiting for MDT at homerton

Cat57

hi mine was up in the air i was told by Kingsley that it was on the 11th may (this was over the phone) but hadn't had any written conformation and still haven't , i kept phoning and asking will i get a letter confirming it all and it was yes we will be sending one to you, but it never came, then when i went up for my pre op they said they said they are just waiting for my surgeon to actually sit at a computer and put it in her schedule basically, I got a phone call from Hazel Friday saying its done... thank goodness for that i didnt have a clue of times what to take or anything like that lol still sorted now...
well the diet,I chose the slimfast one, i started off well for the 1st 3 days but found i was really hungry in the e evening and started being naughty, then i had a binge and though i can re coupe this i still have time, (the 5lb I had lost was nearly all back on) I was so annoyed with myself after it so i thought i was better off on the 1000 cal a day which i am doing now, I wish i had stuck to the slimfast one though as in reading what other people have said after day 4 its so much easier, but too late now, think i would have lost more doing that diet, I have lost 15lb but if i hadn't been so stupid in the beginning i would have lost more... hopefully thats enough well i have the rest of this week to go so hopefully a bit more. the annoying thing is my willpower is usually good, trust me to have a blip when I least need it.
what one have you chosen to do Laura, how long do you have to do it for? how you feeling about it... I will go on facebook and look for you x

Stormdog43

Hi
I am having my op at the homerton
Can't wait I see the surgeon on the 8 th June and will be given my op date then. How long have you all waited from start to finish ? And after I see him in June how long is it a couple of weeks or longer thanks x

laura cullum

hi mine was up in the air i was told by Kingsley that it was on the 11th may (this was over the phone) but hadn't had any written conformation and still haven't , i kept phoning and asking will i get a letter confirming it all and it was yes we will be sending one to you, but it never came, then when i went up for my pre op they said they said they are just waiting for my surgeon to actually sit at a computer and put it in her schedule basically, I got a phone call from Hazel Friday saying its done... thank goodness for that i didnt have a clue of times what to take or anything like that lol still sorted now...
well the diet,I chose the slimfast one, i started off well for the 1st 3 days but found i was really hungry in the e evening and started being naughty, then i had a binge and though i can re coupe this i still have time, (the 5lb I had lost was nearly all back on) I was so annoyed with myself after it so i thought i was better off on the 1000 cal a day which i am doing now, I wish i had stuck to the slimfast one though as in reading what other people have said after day 4 its so much easier, but too late now, think i would have lost more doing that diet, I have lost 15lb but if i hadn't been so stupid in the beginning i would have lost more... hopefully thats enough well i have the rest of this week to go so hopefully a bit more. the annoying thing is my willpower is usually good, trust me to have a blip when I least need it.
what one have you chosen to do Laura, how long do you have to do it for? how you feeling about it... I will go on facebook and look for you x
Hello hun. how are you doing now was the op. xxxx

Stormdog43

Went to see him yesterday and I'm on the list for the op seems so long. He says that I should have a sleeve rather than the bypass. Not sure why. But he says it's up to me just to tell him on op day What does anyone think about the sleeve I'm all confused now x

Bling Babe

Went to see him yesterday and I'm on the list for the op seems so long. He says that I should have a sleeve rather than the bypass. Not sure why. But he says it's up to me just to tell him on op day What does anyone think about the sleeve I'm all confused now x
This is something only you can decide I’m afraid, they are to very different operations with different ways of life afterwards, I would suggest you research both fully and perhaps contact surgeons secretary and ask her to find out why he suggested the sleeve because knowing his reasons will help you in your research and ultimate decision.
Good luck

slimkim

Normally surgeons recommend the bypass as it is a more proven surgery, only because it has been done for longer. They will then go to the sleeve if the patient will have an issue with mal-absorption afterwards or is the patient has a risk with being under for the longer amount of time that the bypass surgery involves. Do you have any issues/conditions that already involve problems with absorption of vitamins, minerals? Do you have problems with being under anesthesia for long periods of times?

Definitely check with your surgeon team to find out why the surgeon put in their notes for you to have the sleeve. If you feel the reasons don't apply to you as the team have wrong information then explain this and then go for the bypass. I've always had issues with iron and I don't eat meat so mal-absorption was something I was unwilling to deal with. That's how I made my choice for the sleeve. Currently the sleeve is chosen more by patients as it doesn't change the routing of the organs and has around the same potential weight loss as the bypass. There still needs to be more studies on it but that will come with time as more people chose it.

12lizzie12

Hi laura, i think i lost around 6%... do you know who your surgeon is yet ?..... wow its all happening quite quickly for you that's great, won't be long before you get a date ..
I had some good news i have been given a date :woohoo: 11th may... just got a permanent smile on my face lol. up on tuesday to see dietician and someone else tbh i didnt take it all in over the phone, and he said I will be starting the liver shrinkage diet on that day also :waterbottle: then pre op appointment the following week ,

Hi Cat,

How long did it take from Gp referral to surgery date at Homerton?

Cat57

Hi lizzie sorry i havent been on here for a few months have had a few hiccups along the way but back now, initially i got referred from my doctor September 2016 (end off i think) and got my 1st appointment at Homerton in the December, saw surgeon on 13th May 2017, I had to have a few tests done in July at a different London hospital that took ages to get results across ( got temp lost ) which held it all up. (over 6months) saw surgeon again in march 2018 got a date for surgery in may.. so if you took off the 6 months + wasted with my lost results just under a year till the op date which i really quite good..... I was stupid and very ashamed of myself as mucked it all up, I didnt loose enough weight so op was cancelled but was given a 2nd chance now have another date which i know i am very lucky to have... my commitment is 100% now though, I just lost it for some reason earlier in the year I dont know why as I have wanted this op for years, they gave me the opportunity to have it and i threw it away!! stupid isnt it. not this time though.... have you got any appointments through yet?

12lizzie12

Hi lizzie sorry i havent been on here for a few months have had a few hiccups along the way but back now, initially i got referred from my doctor September 2016 (end off i think) and got my 1st appointment at Homerton in the December, saw surgeon on 13th May 2017, I had to have a few tests done in July at a different London hospital that took ages to get results across ( got temp lost ) which held it all up. (over 6months) saw surgeon again in march 2018 got a date for surgery in may.. so if you took off the 6 months + wasted with my lost results just under a year till the op date which i really quite good..... I was stupid and very ashamed of myself as mucked it all up, I didnt loose enough weight so op was cancelled but was given a 2nd chance now have another date which i know i am very lucky to have... my commitment is 100% now though, I just lost it for some reason earlier in the year I dont know why as I have wanted this op for years, they gave me the opportunity to have it and i threw it away!! stupid isnt it. not this time though.... have you got any appointments through yet?

Hi Cat,

Thank you for replying to me! It’s so annoying your results got lost and don’t be too hard on yourself remember it’s so important how you start it’s how you finish! You seem so dedicated so you’ll loose enough in no time.

I’ve had mix ups as well which has slowed things down even before they began. My Gp referred me but didn’t put enough information so it was refused. Then my Gp sent the exact information he sent the first time again so it was refused again. As you can imagine I gave him a good telling off lol. So I’ve been referred again as of last Monday and I haven’t got a refusal letter yet (fingers crossed) and it’s been about a week. The first two refusals I got letters within 5 days and it’s been over 5 days so I’m taking it as a good sign. I’ll let you know how I get on xx