• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Walking leaves me sore, why?

Devon

My surgeon said 'no vigorous exercise, just walking' when I was released from hospital the second time. That was 2 weeks ago and I started to stall last week so Monday I got up and decided I'd start doing 1 mile - 1 measly mile - on the treadmill. I even broke it up into thirds, did the first .6km in the morning, went back after lunch and did the second .5km and was so tired I ended up going to bed before doing the last one. That's 1.1km, total.
The internal soreness on my left side, which had gone away last week and I was feeling/moving much better, came back with a vengence. I've had to have paracetomol the last 2 nights after weaning off all pain meds the week before. What did I do wrong? I was seriously just walking, went at 4mph the whole time, holding on to the rails throughout. I just don't get it. And how long will the internal surgery pains be there? Maybe it's naive but I never really thought of that and just assumed the pain would be at my incision. The incision is healed and doesn't hurt at all but inside, I've got soreness and at time sharp pain, when I lay on my left side too long or move the wrong way.

I want to be jumping into yoga and zumba and the couch to 5K program after my post-op at 8 weeks and this has me feeling discouraged.

Did you exercise before your op? I started only doing 5 mins a day then built it up over weeks gradually increasing speed and distance. Sounds like you've pulled a muscle? Might be best to have couple of days off then start back at 5mins a day for a week? It does work if you take it steady. I now run 20mins a day...I'd never have said that pre op...my treadmill has been my best investment!! x

At two weeks I was staggering round the house holding a pillow to my tummy, its a massive operation and the tiny entry sites are decieving you into thinking you are ok and healed - you aren't! I was off my face on pain killers for nearly four weeks lol, leave it a few days and try again xx

I agree the tiny sites are nothing compared to your insides.Your stomach has been chopped up and stapled and your guts re routed it takes 6/8 weeks for the healing inside to complete and you still have to take things easy.I think you should forget your plans for now and just concentrate on healing.I was still having naps at 6 weeks and staggering round the garden!Maz x

Try walking slower? 4 mph is described as a 'very brisk pace' on My Fitness Pal. 2 is classed as slow and 3 moderate.

You can then build up speed as your healing moves on. I have done a bit of 'slow' walking, about 40 mins at a time and found that it made me tired afterwards but no real pain.

I've only got one incision and it's so good that I'm putting Bio-Oil on to fade it now. I'm just rushing it. I would exercise before surgery but had about a month off right before and would be very weekend-warrior about it, would go gangbusters, my knee would flair up and I'd be off exercise completely. The weight doesn't help the knee either.
I'm going to take your advice, let it heal and then just do 5 minutes a day and work up slowly. I'm always making that mistake, starting with a bang and doing in my own good intentions. Time to learn a better way...and some patience. ;)
Thanks everyone!

Back