• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Walsall Manor Hospital-feedback required!

BigBoy1

Hello all! :flirt2:

Im new to all of this but amazed by the level of information and help this website offers - very impressive. if I was a secret millionaire I would definitely give this support group some money!!!

(Im not a secret millionaire but you can still be nice to me :D)

Basically I have my second appointment at Walsall Hospital early November having had one appointment already where I talked through my history with Dr Kahn, the options available etc and also was weighed and measured. During this appointment I was told by Dr Kahn he would apply for funding straight away as my BMI was 45, I have type 2 diabetes have tried diets, seen my dietician at my GP's, and also have a chronic skin disorder affected by being obese.

Having read the various posts and information available I would be grateful for any feedback people have specifically about Walsall and the process involved/timescales etc. From what I can see it seems to around 5-6 months from first appointment. I also thought that the "tickertake" thingy you guys loves so much would be very useful if it showed the timescales you all went through or something to visualise it for noobs like me!

Any input appreciated :jelous:

Hi Bigboy welcome to Minis

I had my op at Walsall and from seeing my Dr to having my op was 16 weeks. Had my op (open bypass) on a friday and was allowed home on the Monday evening. I was allowed free fluids on the Saturday and was on a liquid diet for 4 weeks back on normal food at 7 weeks

That sounds good Tina and thanks for the prompt reply...I see youve lost 7 stone as well, thats excellent.

So what do you think are the 2-3 worst things about the op?
And to balance that what 2-3 things were a nice suprise about it?

the worse thing for me was 1, The pain 2, the injections for a month that you have to do yourself and 3, the sloppy food stage I couldnt do it (the taste and texture was vile) and spent extra 3 weeks on fluid

The best is 1, the weight loss 2, been able to buy clothes from any shop, 3 the energy I now have back again

I saw my gp for referral on sept 4th 08 saw dr hartland on oct 25th 2008 and had my op on may 13th 09.

The worst thing was injecting myslef with clexane(blood thinner) for 28 days after discharge. Pureed foods( didn't do this stage), the admin at walsall manor - nursing staff and Drs are fantastic.

Best things The old me is returning, Feeling fitter and healthier and being able to start college, liking what I see when I look at new photos of me. The process has changed though regarding timescales since I went through them.

I'm two weeks post op and my referral went through in January of this year so the whole process has taken 9 months.
For me, the worst things were my blood pressure going up and not coming down again so now I have hospital appointments to see what's going on. And the bruises. And the awful soluble paracetamol (it made me heave). And the vile tasting Tramadol :eek: . And the equally vile tasting vitamin drops. But you can always find palatable alternatives. :)
A nice surprise for me was how quickly I'm healing with virtually no pain.
The Clexane injections are nothing to worry about - the needle is very fine and, honestly, its easy. Just a bit of a bore. As are the compression stockings which you have to wear for a month.
As for Walsall Manor - the bariatric teams are wonderful but the admin sucks and, apparently, the aftercare leaves a lot to be desired. Good luck - it sounds as if you won't have to wait too long. Zxx

Wow so much info in such a short space of time, thank you :D

I guess the waiting time is always going to be frustrating just need to get used to it...I wonder does anybody have any regrets??

I know I always wanted to do it myself and wanted that sense of accomplishment from your own efforts but doctor and plastic surgeon are strongly recommending it so have to listen I guess.

Hi bigboy, i too am going to be a Walsall Manor bypasser. I had a call today telling me i have my second appt late November, can't wait. From what people are posting on here i'm anticipating April/May for my operation, any earlier is a bonus. Listening to other hospitals we don't have a bad waiting time for Walsall...

Good luck x

Oh ok, thats good to know...the repuation of the surgeon seems to be good as well which obviously is useful! lol

So dare I ask any horror stories from Walsall??

Not meaning to be negative but would like to hear all of the feedback if possible :p

Hi Big Boy. I'm a walsall manor patient and also from sutton coldfield.

The waiting time from 1st appointment to op was 7 1/2 months for me. That seems to be about average. THe operation is funded by our PCT - in our case that is BEN (Bham East & North)

Not sure if you have been told or not, but BEN will not fund keyhole surgery - only open surgery so be prepared for that.

Be prepared to chase up the admin dept for appointments. They let the whole process down and many people on here would agree with that. However you are in very safe hands with Mr Khan and the staff on ward 11 (where you will be admitted to) are all lovely.

Theres a thread on here called Walsall Massive. Have a read through that but get yourself a cuppa first - its long.

Only one horror story from Walsall on here as far as I know, Look for a thread by Bonita.

Good luck with your journey. Look forward to getting to know you.

Thanks Sam I did have a good read through it but it is LOOOOOONNNGGGG!!

Obviously I was amused along the way with the barmy chatter about the b44 crew etc!!

OK so in terms of chasing the admin team whats the deal there then? Who do I need to chase and about what?

(poised ready to act in cat like pose!)

OK. After your 2nd appointment in Nov, Dr Hartland writes up your referral and then passes your file on to Tracey Lowe. This often takes several weeks as he dictates letters for a whole clinic in one go.

If you've not heard anything about 4 weeks after your op you need to be on her case. They will tell you all sorts - faxes gone missing, PCT not replied etc etc.

Tracey Lowe then sends off the funding request to a lady called Annette at the PCT. She is brilliant and turns the requests round pretty much immediately. If your BMI is 45 you do meet the criteria without any other health probs so the funding is just a formality.

Once funding is in place you go on the waiting list. You'll get a letter confirming this. The waiting list is about 20 weeks. You'll have 2 further appointments then and at the 2nd appt you will be given your surgery date.

Thats it in a nutshell. You'll find Tracey Lowe's phone number somewhere in that Walsall Massive thread!

Teen, can I ask why you had to have an open bypass?

Also are you going to the stoke meeting in castle on the second sat of next month?

I had open cause thats what stoke funded

Didnt no there was a meeting where this one at and what time

hello, i to am a wallsall patient. Had my op in march. I am very happy with my surgery and the bypass. Would just like to welcome you to minis and best of luck on your journey.:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

I had open cause thats what stoke funded

Didnt no there was a meeting where this one at and what time

Oh **** I didn't know that, I assumed it would be done laproscopically :(

Its on the second sat of every month at the nuffield in castle, I've not got the time on me right now but I've got it written down so will get it later :)

if its the same place think its normally about 10 am only been to one Let me no if its defo on and I will come

Ye Stoke only fund open unless the rules have changed

Hi Big Boy. I'm a walsall manor patient and also from sutton coldfield.

The waiting time from 1st appointment to op was 7 1/2 months for me. That seems to be about average. THe operation is funded by our PCT - in our case that is BEN (Bham East & North)

Not sure if you have been told or not, but BEN will not fund keyhole surgery - only open surgery so be prepared for that.

Be prepared to chase up the admin dept for appointments. They let the whole process down and many people on here would agree with that. However you are in very safe hands with Mr Khan and the staff on ward 11 (where you will be admitted to) are all lovely.

Theres a thread on here called Walsall Massive. Have a read through that but get yourself a cuppa first - its long.

Only one horror story from Walsall on here as far as I know, Look for a thread by Bonita.

Good luck with your journey. Look forward to getting to know you.

Thanks Sam, so I'm a horror story now, love you too. Only kidding...lol

Hi Bigboy (I've always wanted to say that) :D

Welcome to Mini's and welcome to the crazy Walsall family. Its a super place to be having your op and the others are right, Mr Khan is brilliant as are the staff on ward 11.

The admin and aftercare however are not, so be prepared for that. Your told to allow twelve months from referral to surgery but be prepared to get on that phone and plague the life out of admin to make sure you don't get over looked. Offer to take a cancellation if you want it earlier.

You can get loads of really good advice here, but for me the most important advice I can give you (and others), is to use this waiting time to get yourself as fit and as healthy as you possibly can.

Good luck with it all.

xx

Back